U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 03:27 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,533,979 times

Advertisements

I’ve had a pretty good run as a driver. I had one minor accident that was my fault, when I was 18 (almost 30 years ago), in pouring rain. It was on a two lane avenue, and I went to switch lanes, and clipped a car stopped to make a left turn. Lesson learned. Be extra careful in the rain.

I always drive as if the other car is about to hit me, because lots of drivers are morons. Car at a shop exit on a highway? I assume they’re zipping right in front of me and take precautions. If a truck is barreling towards me or approaches me from the side, I switch lanes, speed up, or slow down to get the heck out of its way. Tailgating? Never. Not worth risking an accident.

And, as my father used to scream, “SLOW DEH F$&* DOWN!!!”

Take the cars (and trucks) from the willfully reckless idiots, sell them at auction, and use the proceeds to lower property taxes for everyone except the offenders. Maybe after someone has 3 or 4 BMWs or, even better, 18-wheelers confiscated, they’ll learn.

Last edited by zhelder; 09-30-2019 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 03:43 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Any idea how many people died on the road this weekend? I see human controlled driving as a very risky activity.

NJ needs more public transportation to reduce the need to drive.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,269,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You forgot another big one. Cars entering highways at 30mph. It happens to me almost every day. The car goes 30mph on the entrance ramp and then tries to merge into 70mph traffic. I have had a few near-death experiences being behind people like this.

Last night I was driving on I-280 and there was a car going about 30mph in the left lane. Eventually it decided to move over and as I passed I looked at the vehicle and the woman driving had to be at least 80 years old and she had her hand cupped over her mouth as if she was astonished by the fact that someone would want to drive more than 30mph in the left lane.

Yes! Happened to me this morning!

I feel like 50% of drivers nowadays don't know what a turn signal is and don't use one! I HATE it. They should start ticketing drivers for this! Great way for the state to collect money.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 896,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You forgot another big one. Cars entering highways at 30mph. It happens to me almost every day. The car goes 30mph on the entrance ramp and then tries to merge into 70mph traffic. I have had a few near-death experiences being behind people like this.

Last night I was driving on I-280 and there was a car going about 30mph in the left lane. Eventually it decided to move over and as I passed I looked at the vehicle and the woman driving had to be at least 80 years old and she had her hand cupped over her mouth as if she was astonished by the fact that someone would want to drive more than 30mph in the left lane.
Then you get those who are already on the highway who freak out because you're NOT going 30 on the entrance ramp. You slow up a bit to merge in behind them, but they slow down, so then you're stuck slowing even further (to which they'll usually slow more) or trying to build your speed back up again. Which in the Wrangler means downshifting to bump up the rpms. Pain in the you-know-what.

And yes, the slow ones seem to immediately move over a lane, usually just as you're doing the same thing so you can pass them.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 PM

13,771 posts, read 9,277,850 times
The other 2 problems I didn't mention that occurs a lot are Right-turn on red and Yield signs. They don't cause traffic accidents but NJ drivers has a very mix interpretation of how to approach these 2 traffic situations.

Majority of folks in the morning DO turn right on red except for a few careful housewives including mine. I had to tell my wife that it's ok to turn right on red as long as she look and yield to oncoming traffic. In the afternoon or coming home from work almost 1/2 the folks arriving at the red light do not turn right on red until green. It's especially frustrating on some roads where it jams up frequently and people just sit at the right lane and not move until green.

The other big one is the Yield sign. It's especially frustrating at exits in Union where the folks exits GSP for Union and there's a yield sign with a solid white lane meaning that highway exit cars have their own lane and keep driving until the solid white line is over then you can merge but YIELD. Majority of people treat the YIELD sign as a full stop sign and this is very dangerous coming off the highway and usually end up becoming a huge traffic jam on the exit ramp. On the Union GSP exit ramp.

I think NJ should just retest people every 10 years, I think it's fair. There are too many old people that can't see properly or maintain their car between lines and they should be tested more frequently.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:59 AM

53 posts, read 16,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it makes me happy to know that advancements in auto safety over the years have led to a much lower rate of fatal accidents per mile driven. soon, automatic emergency braking will be a standard option on most cars and that should help reduce rear end collisions. you also have a variety of other safety features that will further improve safety. its very exciting.
False: https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-r...igh-1518692401

Old 10-01-2019, 10:12 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kidd View Post
Yes roughly 40,000 Americans die on US roads every year. Millions are injured. That is probably more killed and injured than ever died in Iraq and Afghanistan combined for the last ten years.

I don't understand why US is bothering to worry about terrorism when the roads kill and injure so many more Americans. It is time to add more public transportation...

Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 AM

13,771 posts, read 9,277,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes roughly 40,000 Americans die on US roads every year. Millions are injured. That is probably more killed and injured than ever died in Iraq and Afghanistan combined for the last ten years.

I don't understand why US is bothering to worry about terrorism when the roads kill and injure so many more Americans. It is time to add more public transportation...
Because death mean more taxes. American government cares about two types of people the most, the ones that are unhealthy and the dying ones. The unhealthy ones gets all the help and big business around lawsuits and hospitals love unhealthy people.

Government love deaths, more taxes they can extract.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 AM

4,354 posts, read 9,507,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

Adding more public transportation doesn't really solve the problem as public transportation is simply not practical in suburban environments where most people live. Just look at the existing infrastructure. People spend years on waiting lists for parking permits at train stations. How else can most people get to a train station other than drive there? The same goes for bus stops. My office in the suburbs is 5 miles from my house. I can get in my car and drive there in 10 minutes. If I were to take buses the same commute would be an hour or more. Then after work I need to pick up my kids from school. Hard to do that without a car...

Old 10-01-2019, 11:35 AM

24,860 posts, read 30,976,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kidd View Post
its not false. you have to consider rates not just the number of deaths (which are still not close to their highest levels).

here is wikipedia (we can find something better if its not good enough for you):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

it shows rates that are near lows when you look at it as per miles driven or per 100,000 population.

and lots of safety features are very new and not available on a lot of cars and they are expanding availability now for things like emergency stopping and lane keeping assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey