Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,589,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is brain activity different if you're talking to other people in the car?
it isnt. in any situation, if you are on a phone call, you arent going to be able to put 100% of your attention on any other task.

it doesnt mean you arent capable of driving; driving isnt rocket science. but you wont be paying the same attention as if you werent on a phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The fact is that Tesla requires your hand on the wheel is to intercept controls quickly when necessary. However, the whole premise that Tesla is real autopilot is dangerous. People have been caught sleeping or watching movies while autopilot is engaged. No wonder the accidents that happened the driver usually dies. They weren't prepared since they are not paying any attention.
you hear a few stories and you think the sky is falling. according to tesla, their drivers still have less accidents when autopilot is engaged.

and owners of teslas have a better sense of how they can or cant use autopilot than you do. you make the mistake of applying your blanket criticism to every tesla owner when its only a few that use it unsafely.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,612,846 times
I know plenty of Tesla owners and they are not careless. But too many use it like it is problem free and it's a tragedy waiting to happen for the careless.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,589,233 times
Idk how valuable autopilot is for me if I still have to pay attention

Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Idk how valuable autopilot is for me if I still have to pay attention
it definitely limits it. its still pretty cool and it reduces your need to be totally engaged with the road. i could see myself using it to plop myself in one lane and relax a bit. supposedly next year they will be rolling out more self driving features and we can evaluate it again. it may be able to change lanes and get you on and off a highway.

now, tesla makes you apply some pressure to the wheel periodically to know you are engaged. cadillac's system doesnt make you have a hand on the wheel but they have cameras watching your eyes to make sure you are paying attention.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:23 PM

41 posts, read 24,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I sometimes get into a tailgate situation, a car pulls out of a driveway or street in front and doing 20~25mph in a single lane residential road. I'm going 30mph and suddenly brakes and pulls within a yard from the car. Now I'm stuck behind this slow car and there are 3-4 cars behind me all doing the same riding up close to me and I have very little room to slow down. In this case usually I wait til there's a 2 lane intersection and quickly pull around the car. The slow car I got in front of now then started high beaming or honking while other cars all pulls around the slower car.

This is how some tailgate situation got started. Which is why I blame the slow driver again, if only they were going a little faster like 30mph then we wouldn't get into a tail gating situation.
No, you and the ones behind you are choosing to tailgate.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 PM

50,505 posts, read 36,160,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3toneEYZ View Post
No, you and the ones behind you are choosing to tailgate.
Why would you even pull out that closely in front of another car if you know you’re going slower than that car is going? Why not just let it go by first and then pull out? That’s what I do when I feel like driving slowly.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,612,846 times
Omg, there were so many accidents on Saturday 10/12 because the weather was so beautiful. Both were also side to rear end accidents involving slow cars. The one near Cranford exit 137 block traffic from as far as Kennilsworth to Clark.

Another problem I see a lot lately more and more so, is when you're driving on a busy street. Then suddenly a car usually a minivan or SUV just pulls out of a parking lot without stopping and didn't even look before pulling out and forcing cars to hit the brakes. I had a number of these on the weekend including many folks too busy with their phones at the traffic lights and I can count to 5 before I had to honk to make people get off their phones and drive.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM

19,070 posts, read 25,230,799 times
As far as I know, it didn't result in any collisions, but yesterday I observed a real dolt driving a white Cadillac, with Florida plates. I was driving on Route 1 North, around 3 PM, and traffic was congested. I was in the right lane, and suddenly, the Cadillac--which was near me in the left lane--stopped, and the driver put on his left directional signal. Yes, this moron was going to attempt to make a left turn--across heavy opposing traffic on Route 1!

Clearly, the sign stating "NO TURNS" was beyond his comprehension, but eventually all of the honking horns behind him caused him to move along... albeit very slowly. I said to my companion, "He's driving so slowly that I think he's going to try the same stunt at the next intersection", and--unfortunately--I was correct.

In a replay of what happened at the previous intersection, he sat--dead--in the left lane until the honking horns finally caused him to move ahead. Because of the congested nature of the traffic, I was able to observe this moron in my mirror for another mile or so, and--you guessed it!--he tried to make a left turn at several more intersections, all of which had prominent "NO TURNS" signs, and some of which had jug handles to enable people to make turns.

Some people are slow learners, but that was ridiculous!

Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,117,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is brain activity different if you're talking to other people in the car?
It's not, and nobody said that it was. I hate talking to people while I'm driving and I do find it distracting, especially when my kids are in the car and they keep asking me to turn around while they try to show me something in the back seat. There have been times when I have missed exits on the highway because I was talking to someone in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey