U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:22 AM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It's not, and nobody said that it was. I hate talking to people while I'm driving and I do find it distracting, especially when my kids are in the car and they keep asking me to turn around while they try to show me something in the back seat. There have been times when I have missed exits on the highway because I was talking to someone in my car.
I learned that when I was very young. My mother would demand silence because dad was looking for an exit or road, turn. Yes Ma'am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 12:39 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Omg, there were so many accidents on Saturday 10/12 because the weather was so beautiful. Both were also side to rear end accidents involving slow cars. The one near Cranford exit 137 block traffic from as far as Kennilsworth to Clark.

Another problem I see a lot lately more and more so, is when you're driving on a busy street. Then suddenly a car usually a minivan or SUV just pulls out of a parking lot without stopping and didn't even look before pulling out and forcing cars to hit the brakes. I had a number of these on the weekend including many folks too busy with their phones at the traffic lights and I can count to 5 before I had to honk to make people get off their phones and drive.
That is precisely why driving is so dangerous and results in so many deaths. I think driving is dangerous mainly because it relies on the unwavering attention and rapid reaction time of ordinary humans without any kind of special training. And ordinary humans are often distracted, tired, upset and are not able to react on time.

That is why this NYT editorial called cars "Death Machines":
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...&module=inline

Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM

407 posts, read 391,703 times
There are also a lot of idiots who drive too slowly in the left lane. Get the feck out of the left lane.

I also see egits combine slow driving in the left lane while maintaining the speed of the drivers in the adjacent lanes - clogging up traffic by creating a moving bulwark, clueless to the drivers behind them who want to pass. These egits deserve to be tailgated, rear ended, drawn and quartered.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:57 PM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Another problem is the slow exit speeds, I often exit and someone ahead of me immediately cut speed to like 25 on the exit or merging lane. This is not some curvy section that requires you to slow down, there is quite a bit of travel before you get to an exit to regular roads and the slow folks make you crawl all the way to the yield sign for merging and they do a FULL stop on a dedicated merge lane. That instantly jams up traffic.

When you have a YIELD sign with a white line separating your exit lane and the traffic lanes that means to drive up and merge after the white line and NOT do a full STOP.

I don't know why people don't know the difference with YIELD and STOP signs.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:31 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Another problem is the slow exit speeds, I often exit and someone ahead of me immediately cut speed to like 25 on the exit or merging lane.
Yes, that is a problem, but just as much--if not more--of a problem is the fact that some people don't seem to be able to adjust from expressway speeds to appropriate speeds for local roads.

If you have ever driven on Easton Avenue, in the vicinity of I-287's Exit 10, there are a LOT of people who are still driving 65-70 mph when they transition from exit 10 to Easton Avenue, and the result is often... not pretty... for the folks driving at sane and legal speeds on Easton Avenue.

I submit that the people exiting from I-287 or other expressways at very high speeds are more of a hazard than the folks who are driving too slowly.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-15-2019 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey