U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM

13,780 posts, read 9,287,919 times

Advertisements

I saw 3 rear ended accident on the road and highways in NJ. Nothing serious but it's the same theme I'm seeing over and over. Very few serious accidents on weekends more the same impatient and extra slow drivers on the road.

What I like to point out to people here are driving habits that could cause an impatient driver to hit you. This is up to you whether you follow through with these advice or not. I certainly do not want to get hit and it's better to drive defensively than being entitled to drive your own way.

* Often while turning into a shopping center or outlet, the car stops at the entrance instead of moving. There are no stop signs for cars entering. I see this too much where a car enters a shopping center and no idea where to go and

Example, Rt 21/22 this is the situation that happens the most and people get rear ended or T-boned due to exiting into an outlet too slowly. See it on Rt 17 and Rt 4 also.

The proper way to exiting a road into an outlet is to slow down 1st 50 yards before the exit and signal then exit and keep moving slowly and never stop unless there is traffic.

* Car pulling out of shopping center too slowly and turning too wide.

Often cars had to slam on the brakes because a car pulls out of a shopping center too slowly while the on-coming traffic is over 40mph. The speed limit is 40mph on these areas and cars are slowly pulling out and often touching the middle lane and a car going 50 mph with nowhere to go slams into the slow car. This kind of accident happens a lot on Route 4.

* Toll booth indecisiveness, a car drives slowly about 50 yards from the toll booth not sure which one to go and then going 3-4 lanes to try going to the cash booth and cars are slamming on the brakes as the car is cutting sideways across.

I see this regularly but on the weekends a lot of NY plates and non-NJ ones are always looking for the cash lanes and some are dead stopped just before the toll booth not knowing what to do.

* Most dangerous move on NJ highway is the one where a slow car on the left lane is door to door with another car at equal speeds hogging up all traffic on the 2 lane or 3 lane road and cars especially trucks are honking and flashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 10:41 AM

4,359 posts, read 9,513,046 times
You forgot another big one. Cars entering highways at 30mph. It happens to me almost every day. The car goes 30mph on the entrance ramp and then tries to merge into 70mph traffic. I have had a few near-death experiences being behind people like this.

Last night I was driving on I-280 and there was a car going about 30mph in the left lane. Eventually it decided to move over and as I passed I looked at the vehicle and the woman driving had to be at least 80 years old and she had her hand cupped over her mouth as if she was astonished by the fact that someone would want to drive more than 30mph in the left lane.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM

17,490 posts, read 12,196,586 times
NJ needs a 75mph speed limit to cure all its problems and reduce injuries and insurance claims.

Put down that device and step away!

Always assume the driver in front will stop short and above all, constantly watch the driver behind you and take action that restores that driver's honesty. Like slowing up when there is plenty of space between you and the guy in front, as approaching a red light. If you slow and the guy behind maintains his speed, you still have the opportunity to evade or alert the guy.

Approach a merge, slow down significantly, as the guy behind tends to look at the on coming traffic flow and assumes the guy in front will make the same judgment call to merge. As in Blue Angels choreographed flying maneuvers.

At a light, if the guy behind is yapping and gets too close. Do not proceed until he sees you glaring in the side view mirror. Brings him back to consciousness.

Guy behind tailgates, I pull over and let them pass. Happens all the time in the old vette.

then some cars have the optional blinkers where the turn signal activates just before the turn is complete.

Rules the cops don't want you to know... keep a car's length for every 10 mph. 70 mph, 7 car lengths behind. Apparently 7 car lengths at 70 is considered blocking the fast lane.

Because you can drive, doesn't mean you should.

Because Dale Earnhardt can tailgate at 150mph, doesn't mean you have that skill.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:27 PM

I sometimes get into a tailgate situation, a car pulls out of a driveway or street in front and doing 20~25mph in a single lane residential road. I'm going 30mph and suddenly brakes and pulls within a yard from the car. Now I'm stuck behind this slow car and there are 3-4 cars behind me all doing the same riding up close to me and I have very little room to slow down. In this case usually I wait til there's a 2 lane intersection and quickly pull around the car. The slow car I got in front of now then started high beaming or honking while other cars all pulls around the slower car.

This is how some tailgate situation got started. Which is why I blame the slow driver again, if only they were going a little faster like 30mph then we wouldn't get into a tail gating situation.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:09 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You forgot another big one. Cars entering highways at 30mph. It happens to me almost every day. The car goes 30 mph on the entrance ramp and then tries to merge into 70 mph traffic. I have had a few near-death experiences being behind people like this.
+1
That bone-headed behavior is all-too-common. And then, in many cases, that brain-dead person decides to move into the center lane or the left lane, while doing... maybe... 50 mph.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM

24,872 posts, read 30,989,040 times
it makes me happy to know that advancements in auto safety over the years have led to a much lower rate of fatal accidents per mile driven. soon, automatic emergency braking will be a standard option on most cars and that should help reduce rear end collisions. you also have a variety of other safety features that will further improve safety. its very exciting.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:51 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,205,587 times
You’re lucky you didn’t rear end someone while rubber necking...

Old 09-30-2019, 02:01 PM

Lately I see a lot of brand new SUVs like Range Rovers and Mercs with a middle age white woman on the left lane by themselves usually doing around 55mph on the GSP and Rt 78 while cars are zooming by them.

Last edited by vision33r; 09-30-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 02:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lately I see a lot of brand new SUVs like Range Rovers and Mercs with a middle age white woman on the left lane by themselves usually doing around 55mph on the GSP and Rt 78 while cars are zooming by them.

I see this happen daily. 99% of the time they are Asian, Mexican and/or have a Coexist bumper sticker.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:59 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,235,371 times
If only you could get them to read your helpful tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey