U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 02:12 PM

20,791 posts, read 35,613,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
The story I heard (on npr) was that 2018 was a bad year for them and an anomaly. Do you know differently?
I don't know anything about it at all. I read the article and was a bit shocked, so I posted it. Never heard of a hospital doing anything like that.

Is Beth Israel a good hospital generally speaking?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 02:54 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't know anything about it at all. I read the article and was a bit shocked, so I posted it. Never heard of a hospital doing anything like that.

Is Beth Israel a good hospital generally speaking?
Here is the extremely in-depth but balanced report.
https://player.fm/series/wnyc-news-1...survival-rates

Old 10-09-2019, 07:37 PM

462 posts, read 920,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Here is the extremely in-depth but balanced report.
https://player.fm/series/wnyc-news-1...survival-rates
There is nothing balanced about this required. The CFO and down did an unethical and extremely selfish thing and they should be heavily penalized and yes may lose licence but its actually going to be better for us all in the long term; those needing transplants may need to go a bit farther in Livingston or Columbia presby but a quality program will be available.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:40 AM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
those needing transplants may need to go a bit farther in Livingston or Columbia presby but a quality program will be available.
The hospital in Livingston is St. Barnabas, which--like Beth Israel--is part of the RWJBarnabas mega healthcare conglomerate. So, there may not be much of a difference in terms of ethical practices in Livingston.

I have a close friend who has been employed in a professional position at RWJB's hospital in Somerville for many years, including a few decades prior to its purchase by RWJB. She has been shocked at the incredible decline in the quality of the products that are used at the bedside for the care and the cleaning of patients, and she describes most of it as "junk" in comparison to the products that were used prior to the hospital's purchase by RWJB.

The only area where RWJB seems to have increased their expenditures is in terms of supervisory staff. If they add any more folks in supervisory positions--at the expense of the nurses and nurse's aides who actually perform patient care--the hospital will be so top-heavy that it might topple over.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-10-2019 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM

13,780 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Just look at what hospital bill you for meals. They give you a crappy kid size apple sauce, bottle water that is Aquafina instead of Poland Springs, and cheap brand chocolate milk and the meal costs $55 and special diet is over $75.

The business of hospitals is no different than a bad motel in a popular tourist area.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM

58,537 posts, read 56,454,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Just look at what hospital bill you for meals. They give you a crappy kid size apple sauce, bottle water that is Aquafina instead of Poland Springs, and cheap brand chocolate milk and the meal costs $55 and special diet is over $75.

The business of hospitals is no different than a bad motel in a popular tourist area.
I've been dealing with some of this directly myself.

My mother recently fell and sustained a hairline pelvic fracture. She was in the hospital for a few days (Valley in Ridgewood). They gave her physical therapy in the hospital and there was some speculation that they might send her to rehab until she could use her walker again, but then they said they would be releasing her one morning. I was out of the country, and a sister works in Paramus, so she arranged for an ambulance to take my mother home since no one could pick her up on that short notice (I have two brothers who live with her--one was at his own doctor appointment, and the other was working and couldn't be reached), and she took half a day vacation to go to my mother's house that afternoon.

The ambulance people brought my mother home and into her house and put her in her recliner and left. When my sister got there, she realized my mother still could not even stand up on her own. They just took a 90-year-old woman who could not get to her own feet and dropped her in an empty house in her chair and drove merrily away.

When we questioned this and asked why rehab was not an option, they said, "Well, your mother was not actually admitted to the hospital" -- even though she was there for four days. It's a new trick. They enter them in as being part of the "Clinical Decision Unit", which means they aren't actually admitted. IF she were admitted, she could have gone directly from the hospital to rehab and insurance would pay for it.

But they don't want the insurance to pay for it, so she was in Clinical Decision, which isn't "admitted", and if she needed to go to rehab, then she had to pay for it out of her own pocket.

We have a visiting nurse from Valley Home Care and a physical therapist, which are covered by insurance. We got her a home health care aide for the four days a week she is not that we are paying for ourselves, and transportation to dialysis three days a week, which we can get covered, but there are some machinations to be done with the way we apply through Medicare and her supplmental insurance, and I'm meeting with the transport guy tomorrow so he can tell me who I call and what I say.

Hospitals like to remind us that they are a BUSINESS, but they don't want to run them like a business. For example, this is 2019, and we have technology, but they don't use it. The visiting nurse comes to the house, but she's asking me who Mom's cardiologist is, who her kidney doctor is, and she didn't seem to know my mother drove herself for a coumadin check regularly that would now have to be done at home BY HER.

Why doesn't she know this? Why isn't she provided with a file on my mother containing all of that information, since the hospital that sent her HAS all this? She should be able to click on an iPad and have that information at her fingertips. You want to remind everyone that you're a business there to make a profit? Then operate like one. It is not the nurse's fault. It is the fault of a poorly-run business.

Fortunately, though my mother's body is falling apart, her mind is good and she knows every medication she takes and the dosage and had long ago written it all down.

It's been an eye-opener. Our health-care industry is from hell.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:49 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What your mother experienced is truly reprehensible.
In addition to the reality that the US does not have world-class healthcare, there is the fact that this is the only developed, industrialized nation where a person can be driven into bankruptcy by hospital billing. And yet, there are those whose mantra is... We don't want none of that danged health insurance.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 PM

462 posts, read 920,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've been dealing with some of this directly myself.

My mother recently fell and sustained a hairline pelvic fracture. She was in the hospital for a few days (Valley in Ridgewood). They gave her physical therapy in the hospital and there was some speculation that they might send her to rehab until she could use her walker again, but then they said they would be releasing her one morning. I was out of the country, and a sister works in Paramus, so she arranged for an ambulance to take my mother home since no one could pick her up on that short notice (I have two brothers who live with her--one was at his own doctor appointment, and the other was working and couldn't be reached), and she took half a day vacation to go to my mother's house that afternoon.

The ambulance people brought my mother home and into her house and put her in her recliner and left. When my sister got there, she realized my mother still could not even stand up on her own. They just took a 90-year-old woman who could not get to her own feet and dropped her in an empty house in her chair and drove merrily away.

When we questioned this and asked why rehab was not an option, they said, "Well, your mother was not actually admitted to the hospital" -- even though she was there for four days. It's a new trick. They enter them in as being part of the "Clinical Decision Unit", which means they aren't actually admitted. IF she were admitted, she could have gone directly from the hospital to rehab and insurance would pay for it.

But they don't want the insurance to pay for it, so she was in Clinical Decision, which isn't "admitted", and if she needed to go to rehab, then she had to pay for it out of her own pocket.

We have a visiting nurse from Valley Home Care and a physical therapist, which are covered by insurance. We got her a home health care aide for the four days a week she is not that we are paying for ourselves, and transportation to dialysis three days a week, which we can get covered, but there are some machinations to be done with the way we apply through Medicare and her supplmental insurance, and I'm meeting with the transport guy tomorrow so he can tell me who I call and what I say.

Hospitals like to remind us that they are a BUSINESS, but they don't want to run them like a business. For example, this is 2019, and we have technology, but they don't use it. The visiting nurse comes to the house, but she's asking me who Mom's cardiologist is, who her kidney doctor is, and she didn't seem to know my mother drove herself for a coumadin check regularly that would now have to be done at home BY HER.

Why doesn't she know this? Why isn't she provided with a file on my mother containing all of that information, since the hospital that sent her HAS all this? She should be able to click on an iPad and have that information at her fingertips. You want to remind everyone that you're a business there to make a profit? Then operate like one. It is not the nurse's fault. It is the fault of a poorly-run business.

Fortunately, though my mother's body is falling apart, her mind is good and she knows every medication she takes and the dosage and had long ago written it all down.

I am so sorry that this is STILL happening to our seniors!! Medicare outlawed this, and NJ State DOH also passed a law stating hospitals CANNOT keep anyone under "observation" more than 24(NJ)-48(Federal) hours. If she in fact stayed in observation status for 4 days you have a lawsuit and Valley hospital cannot bill her for the deductible (Obs costs her much more than if she was admitted under Part A inpatient) also to qualify for rehab which we call SAR(sub acute rehab, skilled nursing facility) she would have needed 3 inpatient nights in a hospital for Medicare Part A to cover up to 100 days for free. This is malpractace on the hospitals part for keeping her 4 days and she was sent home ALONE and cant walk!

The VNS does in fact get the referral from the hospital to even begin to schedule an appointment to come to your home, they must complete a full chart review and bill Medicare for authorization before coming. This seems like an overall miscommunication between VNS and the nurse they hired. Medicare does not pay for routine dialysis transport UNLESS your mother cannot "remain seated position for duration of transport, is confused, uses oxygen" or several other jargon. Most HD centers have car service though!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM

58,537 posts, read 56,454,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
I am so sorry that this is STILL happening to our seniors!! Medicare outlawed this, and NJ State DOH also passed a law stating hospitals CANNOT keep anyone under "observation" more than 24(NJ)-48(Federal) hours. If she in fact stayed in observation status for 4 days you have a lawsuit and Valley hospital cannot bill her for the deductible (Obs costs her much more than if she was admitted under Part A inpatient) also to qualify for rehab which we call SAR(sub acute rehab, skilled nursing facility) she would have needed 3 inpatient nights in a hospital for Medicare Part A to cover up to 100 days for free. This is malpractace on the hospitals part for keeping her 4 days and she was sent home ALONE and cant walk!

The VNS does in fact get the referral from the hospital to even begin to schedule an appointment to come to your home, they must complete a full chart review and bill Medicare for authorization before coming. This seems like an overall miscommunication between VNS and the nurse they hired. Medicare does not pay for routine dialysis transport UNLESS your mother cannot "remain seated position for duration of transport, is confused, uses oxygen" or several other jargon. Most HD centers have car service though!
Thanks. As the transport guy said in his broken English, "I'm sorry to say it this way, but your mother has to be half dead to get authorization from Medicare."

Thanks for the other info, though. Appreciate it.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:44 AM

11,975 posts, read 10,578,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The hospital in Livingston is St. Barnabas, which--like Beth Israel--is part of the RWJBarnabas mega healthcare conglomerate. So, there may not be much of a difference in terms of ethical practices in Livingston.

I have a close friend who has been employed in a professional position at RWJB's hospital in Somerville for many years, including a few decades prior to its purchase by RWJB. She has been shocked at the incredible decline in the quality of the products that are used at the bedside for the care and the cleaning of patients, and she describes most of it as "junk" in comparison to the products that were used prior to the hospital's purchase by RWJB.

The only area where RWJB seems to have increased their expenditures is in terms of supervisory staff. If they add any more folks in supervisory positions--at the expense of the nurses and nurse's aides who actually perform patient care--the hospital will be so top-heavy that it might topple over.
Just about every hospital in NJ is part of a mega hospital system these days, but you cant say that because 2 hospitals are part of the same system, that there is anything similar about the way the hospital is run. Barnabas and Newark Beth could not be two more different hospitals, from the doctors, to the nurses, to the administration. Barnabas is consistently ranked one of the top hospitals in the state. It is even nationally recognized in a few specialties. The Leapfrog Group is responsible for rating hospitals on patient safety, and Barnabas in Livingston was the ONLY hospital in NJ to score an “A” rating every year since the scoring began, about 15 years ago. Not many others in the country either.

That said, the only department that Newark Beth is known for excellence, is their cardiac program.

...or...WAS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or