U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,378,497 times

Advertisements

Because who wants to buy a large home at this point? My parents? No, they're downsizing because everyone moved out. Certainly not me, I don't want more of a house to clean either. Are people still selling their homes and moving every seven years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 PM

1,043 posts, read 662,585 times
Why is Mendham, Chester, Randolph's population declining?

Old 10-04-2019, 07:34 PM

4,359 posts, read 9,508,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Why is Mendham, Chester, Randolph's population declining?
Why do you keep asking and answering your own questions? You already stated in post #4 that these towns are too far away from NYC. I think everyone agrees with this.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:43 PM

4,359 posts, read 9,508,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Because who wants to buy a large home at this point? My parents? No, they're downsizing because everyone moved out. Certainly not me, I don't want more of a house to clean either. Are people still selling their homes and moving every seven years?
The days of buying a "starter home" are over. College graduates are graduating with a ton of debt. They are living with their parents longer and can't afford to buy their own home. Fewer people are getting married and starting families, and for those that do this is happening much later in life. On the flip side of the coin, there will always be some wealthy people that need to flaunt it with a large home to try and impress their friends, but that's more arrogance than practicality.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,177,990 times
Having lived in Morris Twp between 1989 and 2016 I can also add that the number of corporate headquarters has declined significantly. When we moved in back in 1989 and through the 90s there were plenty of places to work and make a good salary without a big commute. Exxon, Honeywell, Warner Lambert, American Home Products, Ciba Geigy, and many others.

After 2000 the consolidations and the moves out of Morris County started. Many of the higher paying jobs went with them. Now in order to make that kind of money people had to go into NYC which meant longer commutes. Much of Morris County is not near a train line. When I lived there, on the rare occasion I had to go to NYC, I had to drive 15-20 minutes to the train station then get on a train that took another 60 minutes to Penn Station. Then you had to add a walk or subway to your final destination. An hour and 45 minute to two hour commute EACH WAY is not an attractive prospect.

When we were selling our house I was surprised by the number of people who were working in NYC. Many decided it was just too far from the train station to work. I lived right near 287 so I wasn't way out in the western end.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:18 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,378,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The days of buying a "starter home" are over. College graduates are graduating with a ton of debt. They are living with their parents longer and can't afford to buy their own home. Fewer people are getting married and starting families, and for those that do this is happening much later in life. On the flip side of the coin, there will always be some wealthy people that need to flaunt it with a large home to try and impress their friends, but that's more arrogance than practicality.
Bingo. So OP, this is why Morris County isn't growing, there's a very limited number of people who can buy there in the first place.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 PM

100 posts, read 36,418 times
As everyone else has already mentioned, it’s too far from NYC. That’s it. The suburban NJ job market is in decline and/or relocation as it centralizes toward the city, particularly the pharma belt which has supplied Morris County with the high income earners.

I actually drove through a lot of it a few weeks ago en route to the Delaware Water Gap (80 was jammed on a Friday afternoon, so re-routed through local roads). Two things struck me: (1) I really liked it and wouldn’t mind living there and (2) it was SO FAR from the city (and I can only assume the commute is brutal) so I will actually never live there. Oh well.

Even relatively closer-in areas like Chatham make for a tough commute. Someone I work with lived there and complained about it non-stop, eventually moving to the city (solely because of the commute.)

Did I mention the commute to NYC. Yeah, that’s the answer.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
As everyone else has already mentioned, it’s too far from NYC. That’s it. The suburban NJ job market is in decline and/or relocation as it centralizes toward the city, particularly the pharma belt which has supplied Morris County with the high income earners.

I actually drove through a lot of it a few weeks ago en route to the Delaware Water Gap (80 was jammed on a Friday afternoon, so re-routed through local roads). Two things struck me: (1) I really liked it and wouldn’t mind living there and (2) it was SO FAR from the city (and I can only assume the commute is brutal) so I will actually never live there. Oh well.

Even relatively closer-in areas like Chatham make for a tough commute. Someone I work with lived there and complained about it non-stop, eventually moving to the city (solely because of the commute.)

Did I mention the commute to NYC. Yeah, that’s the answer.
True.

I wonder what will become of Morris, Sussex, Warren as it is too far from NYC.

Millennials are now turning 24-30, once they look for homes, if they marry young, they want to stay in their activities/nightlife. They won't want to move far.

Will Morris just remain a place of old rich people? Shameful if their children don't keep their homes and it becomes abandoned.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:35 PM

4,826 posts, read 3,290,019 times
its expensive

Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 PM

Even some parts of Monmouth is losing population with a public transportation station. Colts Neck, Shrewsbury, are all losing population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or