Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,171 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone.

I currently live in congested Fair Lawn, NJ and wanted to move to a place with land and privacy. I can't go more than an hour from Fair Lawn because I work there. I was looking at homes in the Wantage/Franklin boro areas and was amazed by the land sizes and low prices of homes. Recently, we found a home in Bloomingdale that has 6 acres and is only 215k (you can't find anything decent in Fair Lawn for less than 400k) My question is, does anyone have information about Bloomingdale? Quality of living, flood zone issues, etc. I just want a peaceful town and the ability to go outside my house and not hear the neighbor's loud music and barking dogs. I plan on driving through the town more and possibly asking residents, but was curious for any first-hand information about the town. The only things I found so far have been about nearby Butler and the workers lined up on main street for pickups. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Bloomingdale and Butler are somewhat intertwined. Although different counties, Bloomingdale is Passaic and Butler is in Morris, they share a high school and the electric company is "Butler Power and Light". Although they get their power from JCP&L. All of this goes back to when the Butler Rubber Company was located in Butler and Bloomingdale was basically a milltown.

In past years Main St in Bloomingdale has flooded, certain other areas are floodzone/floodplain, although that's supposed to be disclosed when buying. Otherwise is like most other northern NJ towns, definitely middle class.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Bloomingdale is ok. It is very intertwined with Butler due to the high school.

Bloomingdale, Butler, Pompton Lakes, Wanaque, Haskell are kind of all the same IMO. Older towns, older houses, not affluent like a lot of other North Jersey towns. People who have lived there for a long time (perhaps grew up there) seem very comfortable moving there, but they don't seem to be towns that attract a lot of newcomers. Not sure if this makes sense, hope it does.

A mix of people for sure as it sounds like you have stumbled upon with reading about Butler. Not necessarily a bad thing

I would be careful with the quarry, there is a quarry expansion in the works I believe. Shouldn't be an issue at all if you aren't too close to it.

Six acres sounds nice!

Old 05-11-2017, 11:19 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
That's a nice property. Even though it's on a heavily traveled road, access to the flatter part of the land is not easy, so it has remained undeveloped. And the house is far enough off the road to not hear much road noise. But the lot size earns you a Passaic County five-figure tax bill for what is, in essence, a very moderate property.

I've been told the land behind it is part of the Norvin Green State Forest but I'm not sure that's correct. Regardless, it is forested park land so you've plenty of privacy there. Better yet, it's well within your commuting parameters.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,171 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm driving up there this weekend to check it out.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJteacher79 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm driving up there this weekend to check it out.
Did you get to check it out? Reflections? Next step?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Two of my friends live in Bloomingdale. One pays 17k a year in taxes, the other is approaching 11k. I don't know how people do it, honest to god.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,365 times
Have you checked in Sussex county? We are currently selling our home . Beautiful large private yard and pool with wrap around custom deck. Let me know if your interested in pictures or more information ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey