U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM
 
70 posts, read 46,465 times
Reputation: 125

Advertisements

I've been reading some older posts about other people asking about relocating there, and would like some up to date info on this area. We have been approved for a USDA rural loan, up to 180,000, and saw that P-burg is on the approved map. We are currently looking in Lopatcong.



We would be moving to New Jersey from PA. Hubby works in Bethlehem, and is a few years from retirement, and I work from home. We want to buy a house, and stop paying more rent each year. We want at least two bedrooms and two baths. Schools aren't important since we are grandparents and our children don't live in the area.



Now, what we are looking for is a semi rural, quiet area maybe with older people like ourselves. Can anyone tell me what the vibe is in this area; crime rates, safety, accessibility to shopping? I like older homes but would consider something newer.


Three things in order of importance: 1: Quiet surroundings, no sirens or traffic noise. 2: Safety 3: Easy commute to work for husband, and to shopping. We don't go out much, due to health problems on my part. I would appreciate any input, especially from people who already live in that area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2019, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,824 posts, read 3,288,058 times
Reputation: 3629
P-burg needs rail service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 11:28 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,378,497 times
Reputation: 2369
Oh, Philipsburg would be great for Bethlehem, it's 20-30 minutes down the road. The difficulty is going to be in finding something newer that's decently built. It's a town that's fairly spread out, so crime is limited, shopping is probably going to be via car out to Route 22.

Frankly, given taxes, might be worth looking into Easton, whose downtown has been turning around lately and is a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 AM
 
70 posts, read 46,465 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Oh, Philipsburg would be great for Bethlehem, it's 20-30 minutes down the road. The difficulty is going to be in finding something newer that's decently built. It's a town that's fairly spread out, so crime is limited, shopping is probably going to be via car out to Route 22.

Frankly, given taxes, might be worth looking into Easton, whose downtown has been turning around lately and is a college town.

We had thought of Easton, but we moved away from a college town a few years ago and don't really want to be in one again. I saw where someone had complained about people being in their sixties, in the area of Phillipsburg they had moved to, and naturally found that more appealing! We have been casually looking at houses and while there are lots of older constructed homes, they are in disrepair,too. We wouldn't mind a bit of fixing up, but don't want to have to totally overhaul a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Pa
184 posts, read 125,175 times
Reputation: 406
Lived in Washington, Warren County for 28 years moved out and moved to PA when we retired in 2015 why?? High cost of living in NJ including taxes on retirement savings and pension. Property taxes in NJ are crazy high and go up every year. Make sure you consider everything ie property taxes and taxes on your retirement income before moving to NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,846 posts, read 6,853,278 times
Reputation: 5308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisa12 View Post
I've been reading some older posts about other people asking about relocating there, and would like some up to date info on this area. We have been approved for a USDA rural loan, up to 180,000, and saw that P-burg is on the approved map. We are currently looking in Lopatcong.



We would be moving to New Jersey from PA. Hubby works in Bethlehem, and is a few years from retirement, and I work from home. We want to buy a house, and stop paying more rent each year. We want at least two bedrooms and two baths. Schools aren't important since we are grandparents and our children don't live in the area.



Now, what we are looking for is a semi rural, quiet area maybe with older people like ourselves. Can anyone tell me what the vibe is in this area; crime rates, safety, accessibility to shopping? I like older homes but would consider something newer.


Three things in order of importance: 1: Quiet surroundings, no sirens or traffic noise. 2: Safety 3: Easy commute to work for husband, and to shopping. We don't go out much, due to health problems on my part. I would appreciate any input, especially from people who already live in that area. Thanks!



I would vote for staying on the PA side if I were you. As TLC1957 mentioned, taxes are likely to be much higher on the NJ side. Since you mentioned your health problems, you might want to stay in an area that has decent medical facilities. The more rural the area, the farther away good medical facilities tend to be.

After your husband retires, you'll have more time to visit your children. Where they live plays into this decision as well. Are they in the region or do they live many states away? Many retirees end up moving to be nearer their kids and grandkids. You don't want to be faced with the prospect of moving twice in a few short years. Something to consider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 05:34 PM
 
70 posts, read 46,465 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I would vote for staying on the PA side if I were you. As TLC1957 mentioned, taxes are likely to be much higher on the NJ side. Since you mentioned your health problems, you might want to stay in an area that has decent medical facilities. The more rural the area, the farther away good medical facilities tend to be.

After your husband retires, you'll have more time to visit your children. Where they live plays into this decision as well. Are they in the region or do they live many states away? Many retirees end up moving to be nearer their kids and grandkids. You don't want to be faced with the prospect of moving twice in a few short years. Something to consider!
You raised some good concerns! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 05:35 PM
 
70 posts, read 46,465 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Lived in Washington, Warren County for 28 years moved out and moved to PA when we retired in 2015 why?? High cost of living in NJ including taxes on retirement savings and pension. Property taxes in NJ are crazy high and go up every year. Make sure you consider everything ie property taxes and taxes on your retirement income before moving to NJ.
I had heard about the property taxes, but didn't know that they increase on a yearly basis. Good call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2019, 07:19 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,378,497 times
Reputation: 2369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisa12 View Post
We had thought of Easton, but we moved away from a college town a few years ago and don't really want to be in one again. I saw where someone had complained about people being in their sixties, in the area of Phillipsburg they had moved to, and naturally found that more appealing! We have been casually looking at houses and while there are lots of older constructed homes, they are in disrepair,too. We wouldn't mind a bit of fixing up, but don't want to have to totally overhaul a place.
Well, frankly, most of the college stuff is up on top of the hill to the north, it was more about having the option of a younger crowd at times. But I can't imagine that Philipsburg and Easton have incredibly different levels of crime or houses that aren't at similar levels of disrepair.

Philipsburg is also home to several Edison poured concrete homes, if you're into that sort of thing. And don't get me wrong, we'd all appreciate your tax dollars, you should just keep that in the back of your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 12:54 AM
 
70 posts, read 46,465 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Well, frankly, most of the college stuff is up on top of the hill to the north, it was more about having the option of a younger crowd at times. But I can't imagine that Philipsburg and Easton have incredibly different levels of crime or houses that aren't at similar levels of disrepair.

Philipsburg is also home to several Edison poured concrete homes, if you're into that sort of thing. And don't get me wrong, we'd all appreciate your tax dollars, you should just keep that in the back of your mind.
Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind! I really appreciate the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top