Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM

1,074 posts, read 948,935 times

Advertisements

Morris County is one of the wealthiest counties in America, they have several train stations, why is the county's population not growing like Bergen, Union, Middlesex and Burlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
You're probably right. I happened to look up a house in Mendham a few weeks ago on Zillow and they noted the market as "cold" and being a buyer's market. Where I live in Essex County most of the towns are noted as "Hot" and being in a seller's market. I believe the reason is pretty simple. People want to live closer to the job centers of NYC, Newark, and Jersey City. There are miles of delays on route 80 every morning and afternoon. People don't want to deal with that. I work in Essex County and have a few co-workers from Morris and they constantly complain about the commute. The trend is for people to move back to urban areas and "inner ring" suburbs. This is especially true for people moving out of NYC. They want the house and suburban lifestyle without being too far from the city. That's why towns like Montclair and Maplewood are so incredibly popular. Most people realize they don't need a 2500 sqft house on half an acre out in the boonies.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM

10,423 posts, read 6,946,810 times
Is it not growing? Morristown has luxury condos/townhomes going up everywhere. They also just started development on 200, $750k+ townhomes at the old Colgate site in Morris Township.

I do think when people move to New Jersey, Morris County is usually not a place on the radar because its a bit further out from NYC than Essex and Bergen counties.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 10-04-2019 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You're probably right. I happened to look up a house in Mendham a few weeks ago on Zillow and they noted the market as "cold" and being a buyer's market. Where I live in Essex County most of the towns are noted as "Hot" and being in a seller's market. I believe the reason is pretty simple. People want to live closer to the job centers of NYC, Newark, and Jersey City. There are miles of delays on route 80 every morning and afternoon. People don't want to deal with that. I work in Essex County and have a few co-workers from Morris and they constantly complain about the commute. The trend is for people to move back to urban areas and "inner ring" suburbs. This is especially true for people moving out of NYC. They want the house and suburban lifestyle without being too far from the city. That's why towns like Montclair and Maplewood are so incredibly popular. Most people realize they don't need a 2500 sqft house on half an acre out in the boonies.
Yes, this.

Mendham, Chester, are too far away from NYC, Newark and Jersey City.

A lot of people want to move closer to NYC, Jersey City, Newark, Philadelphia.

A reason why Morris, Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex's population is declining.....too far, the Route 80 commute is too hectic, too stressful to deal with.

Every town in NJ should have a bus stop or a bus hub/park and ride to get to the main job hubs.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
Well, Mount Arlington is booming. 5038 people in 2010, 5868 est. in 2017. The population will likely be over 6,000 by 2020. The train station woke up the town a bit, I guess.

Morris County is nice, but does have some flaws. As mentioned, traffic is brutal on 80 during rush hour, and there aren’t the local road shortcuts like Bergen County has. The towns, especially in the Western half, are “sleepier†compared to Bergen and Essex suburbs, and the towns don’t have the unique identities that most of the Bergen and Essex towns have. (In other words, there’s not too much distinguishing Rockaway from Mount Olive or Roxbury.) Finally, shopping and restaurant options are more limited compared to Bergen and Essex. (Although Parsippany and Denville are booming on that front.)

For me, while I miss Bergen County, I was plenty happy saving $200,000 on the purchase price and $5,000 a year on taxes on my townhouse compared to what I could have gotten where I lived in Bergen County. I’m making it work!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Well, Mount Arlington is booming. 5038 people in 2010, 5868 est. in 2017. The population will likely be over 6,000 by 2020. The train station woke up the town a bit, I guess.

Morris County is nice, but does have some flaws. As mentioned, traffic is brutal on 80 during rush hour, and there aren’t the local road shortcuts like Bergen County has. The towns, especially in the Western half, are “sleepier†compared to Bergen and Essex suburbs, and the towns don’t have the unique identities that most of the Bergen and Essex towns have. (In other words, there’s not too much distinguishing Rockaway from Mount Olive or Roxbury.) Finally, shopping and restaurant options are more limited compared to Bergen and Essex. (Although Parsippany and Denville are booming on that front.)

For me, while I miss Bergen County, I was plenty happy saving $200,000 on the purchase price and $5,000 a year on taxes on my townhouse compared to what I could have gotten where I lived in Bergen County. I’m making it work!
Morris is too far away.

If I live in Morris one day, I'd live in The Hanovers, maybe Florham Park or probably Madison.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Morris is too far away.

If I live in Morris one day, I'd live in The Hanovers, maybe Florham Park or probably Madison.
Yeah, me too...

Know any banks I could rob?

Old 10-04-2019, 11:43 AM

453 posts, read 344,623 times
There is an incredible amount of development going on in my area. Morristown, Madison, Morris Twp, Florham Park. It's crazy. Rents are high, new apartment buildings are everywhere. I don't know who these people are who are buying super expensive townhouses in huge developments on main roads where some are not walkable to anything but apparently enough are to keep on building. I can't speak for the northern part of the county but judging by the traffic on 287 north and 80 west during the afternoon rush hour, it's a hot place to live. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM

453 posts, read 344,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I work with wealthy clients. Clients who are selling their high end homes in areas like Mendham, Chester, etc are seeing a stagnant market. One has been on the market for over 2 years with many price drops. Who is looking to buy a rural Mendham home in the $1,000,000 range and $30k worth of taxes? It's a pretty specific buyer. One who doesn't mind a long commute to their job that pays enough to afford that or one who makes good $ working from home. Someone who doesn't mind having to drive 20 minutes to get anywhere to buy things. Gen X isn't rushing to buy that type of home and obviously neither are millennials (I'm one!). This is a trend across the country and there are many articles about Boomers struggling to sell these types of homes. It's not a Morris County or even NJ phenomenon.

We are seeing the same type of popularity in Morris County towns that are like Montclair and Maplewood that you mention. Towns with stuff to DO and walkable town centers are growing.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 AM

585 posts, read 492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Morris County is one of the wealthiest counties in America, they have several train stations, why is the county's population not growing like Bergen, Union, Middlesex and Burlington?
According to the census Growth percentage 2000-2010
Bergen 2.4
Union 2.7
Morris 4.7
Burlington 6.0
Middlesex 8.0
Guess we will know better after the 2020 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey