U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 AM

14,610 posts, read 15,406,795 times

Advertisements

Our son, who graduated HS in '13 always brought his lunch.

People don't do that any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 AM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
I just wished there was a good way for us to provide our kids home packed lunch that's healthy but the schools are not very good with allowing that.

If you watch videos of kids in Japan, they have kitchens that accept their child's Bento box. They will keep it warm and have workers distribute to the kids. Bento is a huge cultural thing in Japan and that's why they are healthier in general than Americans.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 AM

100 posts, read 36,622 times
I'm not sure why this is even a debate. There is absolutely a poverty problem in this nation, and it's getting worse. Without subsidized lunches, some students would literally go hungry.

https://www.nokidhungry.org/who-we-a...ly%20of%20four.

https://www.businessinsider.com/free...-hunger-2019-5

This is something provided by every other civilized nation on earth, yet it is a political issue here. I can't speak to anecdotes about "certain demographics getting free lunches and driving late model cars." I'll just comment on the facts that this is unfortunately a much-needed service.

And yes, school lunches are not healthy. We pack our kids' lunches because of this (ironically, all parents got a speech at the beginning of the school year telling us if we were going to pack lunches, they needed to be healthy. And then we saw the school lunch menu. Lol.) Also, hospitals have some of the worst food anywhere, and they should absolutely know better. But I digress.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:55 AM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'm not sure why this is even a debate. There is absolutely a poverty problem in this nation, and it's getting worse. Without subsidized lunches, some students would literally go hungry.
probably because parents are responsible for their children, not the government. its not hard to feed your kid and its not a poverty issue because they can qualify for free food through snap.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Not everyone who is poor is eligible for snap. Not everyone who is poor has a kitchen or even a home. Not everyone who is poor has a family or lives with a family. Snap benefits are not enough to feed a family and are a supplement. In addition, children do not learn if they are hungry.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just wished there was a good way for us to provide our kids home packed lunch that's healthy but the schools are not very good with allowing that.

If you watch videos of kids in Japan, they have kitchens that accept their child's Bento box. They will keep it warm and have workers distribute to the kids. Bento is a huge cultural thing in Japan and that's why they are healthier in general than Americans.

My daughter, who is only 4, is a very picky eater and won't eat most of the school lunch. We pack lunch everyday even though school lunch is provided for free for everyone regardless of income. Are you telling me there are schools out there that prohibit you from sending your kids to school with lunch? I've never heard of such a thing.

Why on earth would you randomly be watching videos of kids in Japan?

Old 10-24-2019, 02:10 PM

58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Our son, who graduated HS in '13 always brought his lunch.

People don't do that any more?
So did I, who graduated in 1976, and so did my daughter, who graduated in 2009. Of course people still do that.

But both of us, as well as your son, had classmates who received free lunches through the school lunch program, as well as students who paid for lunch at school instead of taking lunch from home, so I am not sure how your question is relevant.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:36 PM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Not everyone who is poor is eligible for snap. Not everyone who is poor has a kitchen or even a home. Not everyone who is poor has a family or lives with a family. Snap benefits are not enough to feed a family and are a supplement. In addition, children do not learn if they are hungry.
i wonder how these parents are able to keep themselves fed and not their children. its magic!

im pretty sure they are getting enough to feed their kids.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 PM

The deliciousness of food is determined by the school district or individual school with in nutrition guidelines. I worked with a headstart school in a very poor city where the lunches and snacks were great. Of course they had a food corps service member on staff who spent time and effort creating menus and was a talented chef who knew about nutrition. This particular headstart also had a major vegetable garden and cooking program.
As a parent, you can lobby to make changes in the cafeteria offerings.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder how these parents are able to keep themselves fed and not their children. its magic!
Clearly they don’t. That’s why they are always sick and many have diabetes, heart disease and have weight issues at a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or