U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,001,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Yes. I am an expert on this. For good or bad I know a lot about food and nutrition and poverty and have studied and worked in the field- mostly in Paterson, newark and Passaic. Maybe you guys know more?
Nah I weigh like 225 lbs I definitely don’t know more.

Is it food yum? Or foody.. um? Please answer promptly or I won’t be able to sleep tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 07:21 PM

903 posts, read 611,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Nah I weigh like 225 lbs I definitely don’t know more.

Is it food yum? Or foody.. um? Please answer promptly or I won’t be able to sleep tonight.
The mystery will live on

Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 AM

24,883 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
People who are smart pay me to do this work and I do have qualifications so that does make me an expert. What makes you an expert?

Edited to add: Rolled oats are great but not healthy long term because it does not include the nutrients necessary like protein (add milk), healthy fats, vegetables, fruits. Those missing items are the more expensive foods. Additionally, it would be hard to follow such a limited diet long term- boredom. I do think oats is a good breakfast. Be mindful of the high oxalates, possible effects on iron levels and of course the troublesome gas if you eating it almost exclusively.
rolled oats do have protein. its a great food and it is my primary food when i want to get in peak shape for summer.

eating healthy isnt expensive. i could list a lot more foods that are very inexpensive and will provide a well rounded diet and nutrition.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes you can be amusing, CaptainNJ, but a diet that consists of 80% oats would not be healthy for kids. No matter what the parents are, the kids should eat and if society can afford it, and we can, we should make sure they do eat. If the parents don't feed the kids, yes, it's abuse, but the kids still need to be fed.

You're a financially-well-off guy saying you don't want society to feed kids because their parents can't or won't or don't. I know you don't care about anyone's opinion, but you're getting mine. That's butt-ugly. Which may be what you are going for. Negative attention, but it's butt-ugly just the same.

There is a guy who posted on a retirement forum thread about elderly people in the USA who don't have enough food. He said it was all a schtick, that there should be no hungry elders because of food stamps and that their children should take care of them. Just as ugly.

I'd guess he was your father, except that this guy is a retired Christian pastor, and I think you said you are Jewish.

Anyway. Regardless of race, religion or whatever, I personally wouldn't want to live next door to people who think it's cool to not feed the vulnerable in our society.
yes, im saying that i dont want "society to feed kids," i want parents to feed their children. if they dont, i am more than happy to pay for kids to eat (and penalize the parents for not doing their job). however, i think its a problem when people believe that people/children cant meet their needs without direct government action.

i also think that the premise that kids arent eating because the food/money isnt there is bs. eating healthy is cheap and taxpayers do provide the resources necessary for people to feed their kids that cant afford it. poor people have more health issues for a variety of reasons but it isnt because they arent able to afford healthy food.

it doesnt really bother me that schools feed kids. but i do believe that parents should be feeding them, not schools. parents that dont do it are abusing their children. every now and then i get into a disagreement on an issue that isnt something that id really fight over. i fight over the evil us government mass murdering people in other countries. i fight over the police murdering innocent people and locking up innocent people. in this case, i just think parents should be the ones feeding their kids. im not going to city hall to fight it.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-25-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It's the part where they are "asking people to simply pay" by punishing the children that people call cruel.
they arent really punishing the children. they are simply shifting the burden where it belongs. the emotional argument is to say that if we dont feed the kiddies they will starve. thats silly (in the vast majority of cases). parents arent going to let their kids starve, they will just do their jobs as parents and feed their kids.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:54 AM

58,566 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, im saying that i dont want "society to feed kids," i want parents to feed their children. if they dont, i am more than happy to pay for kids to eat (and penalize the parents for not doing their job). however, i think its a problem when people believe that people/children cant meet their needs without direct government action.

i also think that the premise that kids arent eating because the food/money isnt there is bs. eating healthy is cheap and taxpayers do provide the resources necessary for people to feed their kids that cant afford it. poor people have more health issues for a variety of reasons but it isnt because they arent able to afford healthy food.

it doesnt really bother me that schools feed kids. but i do believe that parents should be feeding them, not schools. parents that dont do it are abusing their children.
OK, and I feel exactly the same way. But I'm coming from a point of view that I don't know what the hell to do about parents who don't properly care for their children, but let's not stop feeding the kids because the parents don't. Ever read The Glass Castle? No, of course you haven't, but it's a memoir written by a woman who became an anchorperson for CNBC. Her parents were neglectful, and she and her siblings dug their lunch out of garbage cans at the school.

Some of these parents have no frikken idea that it's THEIR JOB to feed their children, because that's not how they grew up, or their parents, or theirs, etc. I don't know how to fix that mindset.

I'm OK with no direct government action because anything the government touches gets screwed up and costs twice as much, but the food has to come from somewhere, and in this case, the kids are at school, so it makes sense to feed them there. I donate regularly to non-governmental charities that feed people or that rescue food and redistribute it, but I don't see that working for this situation.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 AM

58,566 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they arent really punishing the children. they are simply shifting the burden where it belongs. the emotional argument is to say that if we dont feed the kiddies they will starve. thats silly (in the vast majority of cases). parents arent going to let their kids starve, they will just do their jobs as parents and feed their kids.
But some of them won't do their job. They'll tell them to go take it from YOUR kids.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:03 AM

8,727 posts, read 7,928,495 times
And the majority of these "parents" are all about gaming the system.

They get away with it, and have, for generations.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:03 AM

903 posts, read 611,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
And the majority of these "parents" are all about gaming the system.

They get away with it, and have, for generations.
How do you know that its the majority? That has not been my experience working with thousands of low income families and children in NJ. Many of these children don’t even live with their parents.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:04 PM

331 posts, read 202,806 times
Quote:
It's the part where they are "asking people to simply pay" by punishing the children that people call cruel.
I would say they're jumping through hoops to help the children already by effectively giving them free food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or