Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 02:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Get rid of lunch debt, Elizabeth Warren says, pointing to N.J. district’s ‘cruel’ policy

I personally think the school food should just become free since our taxes are so high. School lunch cost me about $200/month for my kids and we always pay on-time. In order to qualify for free lunch your household has to make below $28k annually.

The main problem I see with NJ is that too many families don't pay and run up their debts and some never bring school supplies. I estimated I spent about $300 on school supplies last month. My son tells me that some kids in his class never bring in supplies and always have no pen or notebook and the teacher just keeps a supply of some supplies for these kids. And they always seem to be of certain demographics.

Now, if you go to the parking lot to pickup my kids. Many of these kids' parents are driving late model cars. So how is it these parents can't afford lunch and school supplies but they can afford their cars and iPhones?

I can understand you need a car in NJ but there's no life requirement that you must have an iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 06:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
They shouldn't just punish the students, they should punish the parents. Maybe if their kids rack up lunch debt the parents could be sentenced to a term of community service washing the school dishes.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I don’t think a kid should be denied lunch. If the parents don’t pay, it should be treated like any other kind of unpaid debt. Multiple letters requesting payment, if not paid eventually send it to a debt collector

Old 10-22-2019, 08:29 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They shouldn't just punish the students, they should punish the parents. Maybe if their kids rack up lunch debt the parents could be sentenced to a term of community service washing the school dishes.
Your school cafeteria had dishes?!?! White privilege is real, y’all.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:37 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I don’t think a kid should be denied lunch. If the parents don’t pay, it should be treated like any other kind of unpaid debt. Multiple letters requesting payment, if not paid eventually send it to a debt collector
This is Jersey. You don't pay your school lunch debt, Mario and Vito come to pay a call!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Your school cafeteria had dishes?!?! White privilege is real, y’all.
They were white dishes too!

Old 10-23-2019, 01:19 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
I remember in highschool I didnt qualify for free lunch. I didnt want the burden on my mom though. I had a job, babysat, mowed yards so I had money and really didnt mind though. School lunch shouldnt be paid by the taxpayer and could be a life lesson on kids.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
NY's school lunches are free for kids.. they offered free universal Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4..now free public colleges.. Why is NJ so different and poor, no wonder they call NJ, the junk yard, and no, don't tell me to move, I am not... yet.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
NY's school lunches are free for kids.. they offered free universal Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4..now free public colleges..
Now?
My mother graduated from Hunter College--a unit of The City University of NY--in the early '30s, and she paid not one penny for tuition or books.

The only fees that she ever paid to the school were for her diploma (a huge genuine sheepskin, no less), and for a graduation ring. Because colleges can verify one's graduation to prospective employers, one can succeed in life without the actual diploma, and a ring is not a necessity for anyone who is truly cash-strapped.

I can't tell you exactly when NYC began its policy of tuition-free public colleges, but that policy was definitely in place when she graduated from high school in the late '20s.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
NY's school lunches are free for kids.. they offered free universal Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4..now free public colleges.. Why is NJ so different and poor, no wonder they call NJ, the junk yard, and no, don't tell me to move, I am not... yet.
That's because NYC has one board of ed and one police dept and most services shared. NJ is like Long Island, where all the services are divided.

Now I prefer NJ share more services because taxes are too high and services aren't getting better. The only way to reduce cost is to consolidate.

NYC's free lunch is not new, they've had it for a long time just had income limits. Free college is also not new, since if you come from low income you can go to CUNY for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey