Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

'preciate the sarcasm.....but that aside, would you happen to have any suggestions of towns that would give the same type of feel but closer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGG MiCC View Post
Commuting to Brooklyn for work. Would prefer a rural setting for our living situation. Google Maps indicated sussex county was 90 minutes from Brooklyn (one way). I wanted to check if its really that from people who would know. We plan on at least a 3-4 times a week commute. We really do mind a solid 1.5 hr commute one way, but anything more would be too much for us.
Are you kidding me? On Sunday morning, or in the middle of the night, maybe.

I don't think you really have any idea of what NJ is like during rush hour when a few hundred thousand people are heading toward the city by car, bus, and train.

And listen--though the suggestion for Howell sounds good, what time is your commute? Because I live 20 - 25 minutes closer to Staten Island than Howell, and I drove into a job in Boro Park for a year at rush hour, and it took me two solid hours to get there. The Staten Island Expressway is a crawing mess, and while your GPS will take you around onto other streets to get you off of there, so is everyone else's GPS. Then over the Verrazzano, then through the streets of Brooklyn...

2 hours, dude. Without fail except on holidays.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you kidding me? On Sunday morning, or in the middle of the night, maybe.

I don't think you really have any idea of what NJ is like during rush hour when a few hundred thousand people are heading toward the city by car, bus, and train.

And listen--though the suggestion for Howell sounds good, what time is your commute? Because I live 20 - 25 minutes closer to Staten Island than Howell, and I drove into a job in Boro Park for a year at rush hour, and it took me two solid hours to get there. The Staten Island Expressway is a crawing mess, and while your GPS will take you around onto other streets to get you off of there, so is everyone else's GPS. Then over the Verrazzano, then through the streets of Brooklyn...

2 hours, dude. Without fail except on holidays.

I appreciate this....any suggestions for towns rural-ish that would be closer then?

Old 10-24-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I appreciate this....any suggestions for towns rural-ish that would be closer then?
Honestly, this doesn't exist. It's New Jersey. Most densely populated state in the country, especially in the areas within commuting distance of New York City.

But maybe what you consider rural-ish, we would consider suburban. Can you describe what you mean by rural-ish?

The reason I ask is that about 20 years ago, I had to smother a laugh when a woman in the town where I lived who had moved from Queens said in her thick accent, "We just love living out here in the country." It was a fully developed suburb 30 miles NW of the city. Any traces of country had disappeared decades before. But to HER...

So, tell us what you are thinking.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:42 PM

214 posts, read 350,586 times
Long Valleey, Mt Olive, Flanders, Chester would meet your requirement. Bus from Rockaway mall takes 1 hr to PABT.. so add your driving time to Rockaway mall. The houses are comparatively cheap as well.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:34 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Quote:
Where will you be working? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Working in Brooklyn
Long Island. Westchester. Connecticut.

Seriously, you can't cross two rivers for your commute and have anything reasonable, you'll hate your house. 90 minutes isn't realistic from New Jersey. I'm in Cranford, 22 miles from New York and work at Union Square, my commute is 70 minutes door to door, I'd be furious if I had to go to Brooklyn every day and I'm nowhere near rural.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Here is what you should do. When you leave work in Brooklyn on Monday, get in your car and drive out to Sussex County. Stay overnight in a motel. Then on Tuesday morning get in your car and drive back to Brooklyn. Then you will fully experience the agony of this commute each way.

Not to be sarcastic, but if rural living is important to you then you need to find a new job that is not in Brooklyn. Or at the very least ask them to work from home 3-4 days a week so you don't have to do the commute every day. You're going to spend so much time in your car that you won't even be in your house enough to enjoy it anyway. Or how about getting a studio apartment in Brooklyn for the weekdays and then buying a weekend home in Sussex County.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Here is what you should do. When you leave work in Brooklyn on Monday, get in your car and drive out to Sussex County. Stay overnight in a motel. Then on Tuesday morning get in your car and drive back to Brooklyn. Then you will fully experience the agony of this commute each way.

Not to be sarcastic, but if rural living is important to you then you need to find a new job that is not in Brooklyn. Or at the very least ask them to work from home 3-4 days a week so you don't have to do the commute every day. You're going to spend so much time in your car that you won't even be in your house enough to enjoy it anyway. Or how about getting a studio apartment in Brooklyn for the weekdays and then buying a weekend home in Sussex County.
^

I was thinking of a similar suggestion. Try the drive realistically during rush hour from the various places you are looking at.

Sussex County-to-Brooklyn boggles my mind in particular geographically Just looking at a map you see that Sussex County is in the northwest part of NJ, while Brooklyn is on Long Island, south and east of Manhattan. It's a long, diagonal trip through heavily-traveled highways and, and as someone pointed out, you need to cross over or under two rivers--at the same time a few hundred thousand other people are doing the same thing. At least from a place like Howell you're geographically closer to Brooklyn, even though the drive is still pure hell. If you could just fly over the ocean, it would work out OK.

This thread brought back an amusing memory. My friend, born and raised in Bergen County, married a Brooklyn guy and moved to his place in Sheepshead Bay. They were looking for a new vehicle, and a dealership in Union, NJ, was having a sale on the type they wanted, so they decided to go there and get the deal and pay Jersey sales tax instead of NYC. So her husband says to her, "It'll be nice, and it's fall so we'll take a ride out there Saturday and see the foliage along the way." She said, "Exactly what foliage do you think you're going to see between Brooklyn and Union?" LMAO.

Eventually, like everyone else in Brooklyn and Staten Island, they moved to Middletown, NJ, where everyone complains about the miles of traffic backed up from the Outerbridge Crossing on holidays when they go back to visit Grandma...traffic, of course, which is caused by all of THEM wanting to live somewhere that was once semi-rural.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
OP, Suffolk County NY is a better option

The winter commute from rural NJ to NYC will make you regret it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Honestly, this doesn't exist. It's New Jersey. Most densely populated state in the country, especially in the areas within commuting distance of New York City.

But maybe what you consider rural-ish, we would consider suburban. Can you describe what you mean by rural-ish?

The reason I ask is that about 20 years ago, I had to smother a laugh when a woman in the town where I lived who had moved from Queens said in her thick accent, "We just love living out here in the country." It was a fully developed suburb 30 miles NW of the city. Any traces of country had disappeared decades before. But to HER...

So, tell us what you are thinking.

LOOOL! We were thinking at least a 2 acre plot, lots of elbow room between each house. Quiet, secluded, probably a 15-20 minute drive for groceries/stores, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey