U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 04:02 PM

22,699 posts, read 17,528,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
On rare occasions, I give medical advice here, but I really try not to get involved, for 2 reasons. One, I dont feel right about giving advice to a patient I haven’t met, let alone, examined. And two, because I come on here to get my mind off of work, not to do more work. People have privately messaged me in the past, and I have reluctantly helped them, and on very rare occasions on the public board.

I would imagine the feeling would be similar for for most lawyers that post here.

But to your point, I dont think there is anything wrong with someone doing their research, especially when it comes to actual legitimate online publications, but anything learned on an open public message board, should be taken with a grain of salt. It my help to guide someone, but everything should be double checked with a live professional.
I did not give legal advice. I related our experiences and pointed her to legit resources. Then a bunch of people came to mock and bash her about how “bizarre” it is to ask advice on a forum, despite this being the main reason people post on forums. And treat her again like she’s probably too stupid to ascertain good info from bad or to educate herself. In going to a lawyer, you are a consumer and smart consumers do research as well.

I had a laminectomy about 3 years ago, I was off work for ten months (8 months before and two after)in which time I researched my symptoms and the effectiveness of various treatments as well as seeing professionals. It made me a smarter consumer. Not necessarily better off to be honest because I wasn’t assertive enough in my care early on (well before surgery) but I was also in pain, afraid and at a very vulnerable spot, and the system was set up in a way that took away my choices to some degree (for instance I didn’t want a 4th epidural cause none of the others worked and I had a $250 co-pay, but they wouldn’t move forward to next steps unless I consented.

I think today’s climate requires consumers to be knowledgeable, regardless of subject. Every one of my fiancé’s lawyers made him think it was likely he could get his reduced but none were successful yet he still paid thousands. Again it is not to be taken lightly. We plan to give it one more shot, but not till we know we are ready and in a good position to succeed. We can only afford one more shot. Even that we really can’t afford, but that’s the way it is. But blind trust without self-knowledge is not a good combination IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM

11,984 posts, read 10,578,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I did not give legal advice. I related our experiences and pointed her to legit resources. Then a bunch of people came to mock and bash her about how “bizarre” it is to ask advice on a forum, despite this being the main reason people post on forums. And treat her again like she’s probably too stupid to ascertain good info from bad or to educate herself. In going to a lawyer, you are a consumer and smart consumers do research as well.

I had a laminectomy about 3 years ago, I was off work for ten months (8 months before and two after)in which time I researched my symptoms and the effectiveness of various treatments as well as seeing professionals. It made me a smarter consumer. Not necessarily better off to be honest because I wasn’t assertive enough in my care early on (well before surgery) but I was also in pain, afraid and at a very vulnerable spot, and the system was set up in a way that took away my choices to some degree (for instance I didn’t want a 4th epidural cause none of the others worked and I had a $250 co-pay, but they wouldn’t move forward to next steps unless I consented.

I think today’s climate requires consumers to be knowledgeable, regardless of subject. Every one of my fiancé’s lawyers made him think it was likely he could get his reduced but none were successful yet he still paid thousands. Again it is not to be taken lightly. We plan to give it one more shot, but not till we know we are ready and in a good position to succeed. We can only afford one more shot. Even that we really can’t afford, but that’s the way it is. But blind trust without self-knowledge is not a good combination IMO.
Nothing wrong with being informed. To a point.

I’m going to give some advice right now. Never, ever, ever, ever, never, watch your surgery on YouTube before your surgery. Invariably, the people that do, come to surgery in a very anxious state. It makes my job a lot harder. I have to deal with elevated heart rates and elevated blood pressures, and people often wake up the way they went to sleep, so in the disoriented state of waking up, they freak out and thrash around, sometimes with arms flailing.

Some people are naturally anxious people, and there is nothing you can do about that, but watching the surgery before having it performed on you, turns non anxious people into anxious people. And they may not feel anxious right after watching it, but when they get to the holding area before surgery, the video is what they are thinking about.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:02 PM

22,699 posts, read 17,528,318 times
Quote:

I’m going to give some advice right now. Never, ever, ever, ever, never, watch your surgery on YouTube before your surgery. Invariably, the people that do, come to surgery in a very anxious state. It makes my job a lot harder. I have to deal with elevated heart rates and elevated blood pressures, and people often wake up the way they went to sleep, so in the disoriented state of waking up, they freak out and thrash around, sometimes with arms flailing.

Some people are naturally anxious people, and there is nothing you can do about that, but watching the surgery before having it performed on you, turns non anxious people into anxious people. And they may not feel anxious right after watching it, but when they get to the holding area before surgery, the video is what they are thinking about.
No worries, I can’t even watch when I get blood drawn!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:15 PM

58,547 posts, read 56,454,009 times
Quote:

AAAAAHHHH.

Other than an emergency C-section in 1991, I'd never had other surgery or an overnight stay in a hospital.

In 2013, I was scheduled for removal of my thyroid, and freaked out about being put under anesthesia for surgery, I looked it up on YouTube to see what this all entailed.

I was at my desk at work, and I screamed when I saw the video. I am not a screamer, so thank God I had my office door closed.

I don't do well with photos or videos of the human body's interior. If you are like I am, I recommend listening to Anesthesia MD.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 AM

26,145 posts, read 24,911,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No worries, I can’t even watch when I get blood drawn!
I once passed out. I woke up on a gurney and was told to drink the small cup of orange juice that a tech handed me. I was so ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey