U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 06:02 PM

3,821 posts, read 2,327,093 times

Advertisements

The Radburn section of Fair Lawn is really nice and amazing for kids - very unique community-oriented neighborhood. You have to see it to believe it: kids can walk almost everywhere in the whole neighborhood without crossing a street (everything is built around a couple of large parks, which have a school, playground, camp, public pool, and activities in the park, as well as beautiful green space.) I highly recommend Radburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 05:29 PM

355 posts, read 93,971 times
Indian? Edison and Piscataway.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM

274 posts, read 77,015 times
IMO, I'd choose River Edge by a small margin. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 PM

66 posts, read 37,184 times
I grew up in River Edge and now live there with my 2nd grade daughter. Schools are great (2 elementary schools, 1 middle school, 1 high school). We have 2 train stations (River Edge and New Bridge) that connect to NYC through Secaucus so commute to Penn will be about an hour. You also have bus that should take about the same. If you are looking for a town home you will have limited selection in any of the 3 towns but there are some. Most options in all 3 are single family homes. you will get more for you money in Fair Lawn and River Edge as taxes are very low in paramus thus driving up sale prices. honestly all 3 are great towns with good schools though transportation will be easier in Fair Lawn and River Edge as they have train stations where Paramus does not. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:45 PM

38 posts, read 28,146 times
Disclosure: I live in Fair Lawn. I decided to buy in fair lawn instead of Paramus simply because of the better commute to NYC and quick access to in-town classes for kids etc without much of driving around in traffic. Dont know much about River Edge to comment.
Things to know about Fair Lawn:
1. You have 2 train stations- Express from Radburn station takes 18 mins to secaucus (every 15 mins). Local trains from Broadway take between 23 to 26 mins to Secaucus and is every 30 mins. Fair Lawn has too many express bus routes to list. Best NYC commute hands down.
2. My kids go to WarrenPoint - I am very happy with it. But in my opinion best elementary school of the 6 schools is Milnes - very active PTA and has the added advantage of TJ Middle school in the same campus which is convenient if you have kids going to elementary and middle school.
3. Best areas based on how streets look tends to be anything east of plaza road and north of Broadway (aka route 4) . I will avoid west of Plaza as it seems to have more of those petty crimes like bike theft etc , probably due to proximity to Paterson. You will also see that west of plaza is priced lower - reflection of demand.
4. I chose WarrenPoint as it was much more diverse (look up school data) than Radburn, Milnes area and prices are 5-10% less than radburn and Milnes.
5. The radburn area closer to Glenrock and most of Miles area has consistently nicest looking streets.
6. If you consider Warrenpoint area, I will suggest to stick north of broadway as it is nicer area and streets look pleasant with wider streets and larger homes. Also gives you easy access to route 4 as well as rest of the town.
7. cost of ownership between Fair Lawn and Paramus home are comparable when you factor in both tax and home price. but for the same EMI Fair Lawn will give you better commute.
8. Fair Lawn will have more economically diverse families (very few 300K+ income families). Paramus you will find more well to do families.
9. I will not suggest the new Pulte at radburn crossings - its on a chemical dump. I have read white papers published back in 2006 which shows carcinogens will be totally wiped out only in 2051 (but no one seems to be aware or care about it). Pulte guys simply say that they have evacuation procedure prepared in case there is any issue ever found in soil etc. Moreover train track runs just behind it.
10. Negatives of Fair Lawn include some cringe worthy streets do exist, no clear downtown, school overcrowding which should hopefully go away after new 25million construction is completed next year, Broadway looks terrible because of the ugly jersey barriers (but Broadway has new medical buildings coming up in recent times and will be a medical corridor in about a decade)

As a reference point for your budget: In fair lawn, if you are looking for a 2400Sqft, totally rebuilt or fully renovated home, it will cost you 16-18k in taxes per year, 750K in Milnes, 725K in radburn, 700K in Warrenpoint.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 28,146 times
These 2 Small New Jersey Cities Are Among the Best in US, Study Reveals...check the link below
Fair Lawn came in at the No. 9, while Princeton took the No. 13 spot. Fair Lawn’s high overall ranking is due to the admirable scores it received in the individual rankings, including being in the 30th spot when it comes to education and health
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...563975431.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or