U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM

5,485 posts, read 13,472,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I was wondering if this was actually serious question? Every day when I come from work (headed south) I have to cross the double line on the county road when veering left onto our lane. If that wasn't allowed I'd probably add another 20 minutes to my commute
I've seen it as a legit question where you're driving down a road that has a double yellow solid striped line down the middle,,, and you need to turn left into a driveway,,, now I know there are some locations that have specific posted signs prohibiting that,,, so also that would mean it IS allowed anywhere else where its not specifically posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 01:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,060,227 times
Double yellow lines are not about prohibiting left turns. They mean "You cannot pass", meaning you can't veer over them into the opposing lane of traffic in order to pass or overtake the slowpoke in front of you. (But you can cross over them to make left turns into driveways and parking lots.)

TWO SETS of double yellow lines mean you also can't make left turns, in addition to "You cannot pass."

A single yellow line means either "You cannot pass", OR, "Passing is not advised but you may pass, with extreme caution", whatever that means, and depending on who you ask. (But, again, left turns are allowed.)

A DASHED yellow line means you can pass the slowpoke in front of you, as you sigh in disgust and give them the evil eye and your best curled lip, flared nostril Judge Judy face.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 PM

9,592 posts, read 15,219,772 times
It's not legal and cops will bust you for it if they're feeling like an ass that day (which is generally days ending in 'Y'). The law probably isn't intended to prohibit this but that's the way it is written.

NJSA 39:4-86 states in part 'Except when otherwise directed by a duly constituted traffic or police officer or when the lane in which he is operating is obstructed and impassable, the driver of a vehicle shall not cross an appropriately marked "No Passing" line in a "No Passing" zone'

Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 PM

15,718 posts, read 5,621,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg22 View Post
but the point is , it is not legal to cross double yellow line.
No the double yellow line means no passing into on coming traffic , most place's allow you to make a left turn in to a driveway of some kind unless other wise posted no left turn.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 PM

15,718 posts, read 5,621,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's not legal and cops will bust you for it if they're feeling like an ass that day (which is generally days ending in 'Y'). The law probably isn't intended to prohibit this but that's the way it is written.

NJSA 39:4-86 states in part 'Except when otherwise directed by a duly constituted traffic or police officer or when the lane in which he is operating is obstructed and impassable, the driver of a vehicle shall not cross an appropriately marked "No Passing" line in a "No Passing" zone'
Absolutely but you're not passing you're turning ............big difference.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:18 AM
Status: "They say..what kills you, kills you." (set 28 days ago)

544 posts, read 179,217 times
I have never once ever considered the possibility that i wasnt able to turn into the bank or shoprite across a double yellow line.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 AM

5,485 posts, read 13,472,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I have never once ever considered the possibility that i wasnt able to turn into the bank or shoprite across a double yellow line.
Well speaking of Shoprite, certain specific roads such as the Shoprite just west of the GSP in Clark NJ for instance, there are specific No Left Turn signs posted BUT it's obvious due to the amount of traffic including traffic coming off the Parkway ramps and underpass immediately adjacent to there.

Similarly Woodbridge on Rt 35 just before US 1/9 they send you around a short block to an entrance light.

But these are clearly marked with multiple signs etc.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Status: "They say..what kills you, kills you." (set 28 days ago)

544 posts, read 179,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Well speaking of Shoprite, certain specific roads such as the Shoprite just west of the GSP in Clark NJ for instance, there are specific No Left Turn signs posted BUT it's obvious due to the amount of traffic including traffic coming off the Parkway ramps and underpass immediately adjacent to there.

Similarly Woodbridge on Rt 35 just before US 1/9 they send you around a short block to an entrance light.

But these are clearly marked with multiple signs etc.
Well yeah, that one in Clark is insane going in and out sometimes. But on a regular road thats no passing, ive never considered that i couldnt turn.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:18 AM

24,867 posts, read 30,980,897 times
i always assumed it was illegal but not something im going to stop doing. i guess you get the sense that it is illegal because sometimes there is a gap left for entrances to shopping centers/buildings/etc. so you assume that if it isnt there it must mean you arent supposed to cross the lines.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:25 AM

1,597 posts, read 999,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I've seen it as a legit question where you're driving down a road that has a double yellow solid striped line down the middle,,, and you need to turn left into a driveway,,, now I know there are some locations that have specific posted signs prohibiting that,,, so also that would mean it IS allowed anywhere else where its not specifically posted.

This is the argument I use every time someone tries to tell me that “Stop here on red” means you can’t turn right on red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or