Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 02:58 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,849 times

Advertisements

I am going to be driving from Ocean County to New Hyde park . I will be in a rental 16 foot box truck. I know trucks are not allowed on the belt parkway or any parkway in New York. I will be driving in the middle of morning rush hour . What is the best route to take?Thanks for the advice .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 03:37 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Pretty much...GSP to exit 105 (route 18) to NJTurnpike to (exit 13) Goethals Bridge, straight to Verrazano Bridge to Gowanus to LIE to Clearview Expressway to Jamaica Ave to Jericho Turnpike....New Hyde Park.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:44 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Your article said COMMUTE,,, my reaction at first was YIKES, I had done some of that on a daily basis years ago,,,, not any joy a tall.

Hopefully you are talking about a one or two time occasional trip.

Last time I drove that way the Verrazano was tollfree going East and avoids the other options such as Holland Lincoln or GWB.

Yes there are restrictions on the Belt and they have LOW bridges which many trucks don't fit under, at least on the Southern , SSP, which connects off the Belt. Also fines if you get caught.

Without even looking I would say Outerbridge or Goethals, Outerbridge easier from your way, then I-278 East (Staten Isle Expwy) over the Verrazano and just stay on the Interstate, 278 (called Gowanus and then BQE). There are two choices then, either follow the route of the unbuilt I-78 which has traffic lights and heads toward Kennedy Airport, or just go up to the LIE, (I-495).

On the way back to NJ 99% of the time I would take the LIE to the BQE, go over the Williamsburg Bridge, straight across lower Manhattan and out the Holland Tunnel. That gets you back to the USA mainland with NO tolls. Also shortest drive.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,849 times
Thanks for the responses. There was lots of traffic every which way so I took the turnpike to the Gwb to the throggs neck to Clearview expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: