Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this review- I just read about it yesterday and sort of cringed. I lived in NJ for 25 years; moved to the Midwest in 2003.

I'd be interested to know who gets stuck holding the bag if whatever rosy predictions they used to justify financing turn out to be wrong. Wanna bet it's not the developers? ;-)

I won't be making a special trip back to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:30 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Just more over development in NJ that will add to the tax rolls for as long as the complex remains profitable.
Hoping I’m wrong, however, I can’t imagine this American Dream Park will be financially successful.

I guess it was good for the unions of the construction trades and the liberal politicians who were behind this from the start. The construction actually began in 2005 and the original project was called Xanadu.
Apparently the original developer, the Mills Corporation ran into financial issues and were forced to take on partners. Finally this project has been competed and it’s ultimate success is yet to be seen.

Last edited by Rickcin; 10-28-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 06:48 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Had they built a NASCAR track there, it would've been far more profitable.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:58 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Nascar still exists?

Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 PM

312 posts, read 686,067 times
It annoys me that there is a cost to park. Most malls don't have this.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:09 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
$3 for 3 hours of parking isn’t unreasonable.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
Pay to park at a mall? I'll never go there - not that I would have even with free parking.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Im actually kind of interested in this. Im hesitant at this point because im expected once everything is open it will be very busy. People already travel very far to visit NYC, drive hours to go to ski lodges and indoor water parks. Fly into Newark specifically to be able to shop. No tax on clothing etc. We have a large family and the ability to go to any 1 of many experiences only 15 minutes away seems awfully tempting.

Paying a few dollars to park is not really a big deal, i dont usually pay to park at a mall but i do pay at the aquarium, at Liberty Science center, at amusement parks and in the city, everywhere. So paying a few dollars to park here isnt that different.

People who are saying its a long walk to the Nick park in the mall, its an amusement park. Ive never been to an amusement park that didnt require a long walk. Ive never even been able to go to a local carnival that didnt require me to walk from at least a block away. I dont think its fair to pass judgement on it when its not even finished yet.

I do think its a mistake to do this tiered opening though. People dont want to walk through construction sites to get to a theme park. They should have just waited 6 more months to get all the kinks out and it would have been a better "grand opening"

Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 AM

453 posts, read 345,036 times
News comes out about the true cost of visiting the amusement park portion: https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/10/ni...-up-a-lot.html

"The price for All Access — recommended for individuals over 48 inches who want to ride the most thrilling rides — will be $79.99. General access for individuals under 48 inches or who will skip the most thrilling rides will be $59.99.

That’s a $30 jump from the current rates of $49.99 for All Access and $39.99 for General Access. But the admissions now are sold for specific blocks of time, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. "

Typical NYC area price gouging that is over 2x the cost of similar amusements at other locations the developer owns.

"And at Triple Five’s other mega mall, the Mall of America, tickets for Nickelodeon Universe there cost $36.99 for an all-day pass."

Crazy. Let's see what happens to parking prices as more of the mall opens in the next 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if that shoots up as well.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:16 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
News comes out about the true cost of visiting the amusement park portion: https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/10/ni...-up-a-lot.html

"The price for All Access — recommended for individuals over 48 inches who want to ride the most thrilling rides — will be $79.99. General access for individuals under 48 inches or who will skip the most thrilling rides will be $59.99.

That’s a $30 jump from the current rates of $49.99 for All Access and $39.99 for General Access. But the admissions now are sold for specific blocks of time, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. "

Typical NYC area price gouging that is over 2x the cost of similar amusements at other locations the developer owns.

"And at Triple Five’s other mega mall, the Mall of America, tickets for Nickelodeon Universe there cost $36.99 for an all-day pass."

Crazy. Let's see what happens to parking prices as more of the mall opens in the next 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if that shoots up as well.
Thats kind of disappointing, i must admit. Thats a lot of money for a day trip amusement park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey