U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:17 AM

3,821 posts, read 2,327,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Morristown is extremley safe around the main street and green, however there is a section which is segregated off (and there is no reason to be there) where you can pickup drugs, MS-13 gang members are located, and should be obvious no go zone for any white girl walking in the street at 2am.
Wow, I didn't realize there were gangs in Morristown of all places!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 AM

3,821 posts, read 2,327,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's damning with faint praise. Many NYC neighborhoods are obscenely safe nowadays.
It's really wonderful to feel safer in a city neighborhood these days, even at night.

Honestly, in the suburbs I always feel less safe at night, because it's more deserted, most people don't go out at night there...

Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 AM

1,597 posts, read 999,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's really wonderful to feel safer in a city neighborhood these days, even at night.

Honestly, in the suburbs I always feel less safe at night, because it's more deserted, most people don't go out at night there...
Having grown up in NYC and Hudson County my whole life, I agree that suburbs have a spooky feel when it’s dark out.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:10 PM

53 posts, read 16,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Hi, Ma'am. Nyack is a cute, quaint little town. In my Jersey trash opinion, safety isn't an issue in a place like that. It reminds me a lot of Morristown NJ, actually.
Morristown is cute and quaint - LOL!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,060,227 times
Quote:
The one thing you have right is that your opinion is regularly trash. Nyack is almost nothing like Morristown, except it has a mainstreet with some bars.
Quote:
Morristown is extremley safe around the main street and green, however there is a section which is segregated off (and there is no reason to be there) where you can pickup drugs, MS-13 gang members are located, and should be obvious no go zone for any white girl walking in the street at 2am.
Obligatory LOL. I thought you had me on ignore. But I see you have been reading (and seething over) my posts this whole time. How gratifying! Let me ask you a question before you put me back on ignore...

Don't you ever tire of getting dog walked on this forum? Is that your kink?

And don't you live in Denville? What makes you an expert on Morristown? Because you and your middle aged friends come out here every other Friday for date nights, dressed in your finest khakis and your Jos A. Bank mock neck pullovers, to what...eat potato skins and drink margaritas at the swinging Office Tavern Grill?

I grew up in this area, a couple towns away, and never left except for short stints. I have been frequenting Morristown since the 90s when I was in high school.

Morristown is exactly like Nyack. A suburb that has a Charming Walkable Downtown.

It's hilarious that half your posts about Morristown say it is "EXTREMELY SAFE" and the "BEST" and "SUPERIOR" choice for 20 somethings...when someone happens to have the opinion that, say, Jersey City or Montclair are much more interesting, or have more to offer.

Yet, if someone comes around asking about safety in Morristown, you'll instruct them not to go out at night because they will definitely get shot by MS-13 or get harassed by "black thugs" if they are a "white girl". I have covered every single street in Morristown on foot, multiple times. I have never felt unsafe. Except on the Patriot's Path when people have warned me that there is a bear up ahead.

Also, how do you know the OP is a white girl? She doesn't say anything about anyone's race. She could just as well be black. Or Indian or Korean or Filipino or Peruvian or Puerto Rican. How are any of us are supposed to know from what she posted?

Jesus Herbert Christ. You are a clown.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Morristown, NJ is less safe, certainly at night, IMHO than many New York City neighborhoods.
Quote:

I've been frequenting both Morristown and NYC since I was a teenager in the '90s. All hours of the night.

I wouldn't call Manhattan unsafe, but it's certainly not safer than a Morris County suburb or a place like Nyack.

It's quiet at night in the suburbs not because it is truly deserted, but because people are inside their houses watching Netflix in their designer pajamas at 8:00 PM. It being quiet and seemingly deserted, and therefore eerie and spooky (which I totally get...when my NYC cousins used to visit us out here in the "creepy" 'burbs, they thought Jason Voorhees was waiting behind every privet hedge or in every thicket), doesn't mean the suburbs are less safe than the city.

Believe me...these people out here have their eyes and ears wide open at all times. They will call the cops or make hilarious dramatic posts on NextDoor about things like Uber Eats drivers who look like they "don't belong in the area". Or, "How do we know for sure it's a real PSEG worker???" (even though he is wearing a fluorescent yellow vest, a helmet, safety goggles, and is driving a PSEG truck). Or, "Does anyone know this lady? I have caught her on my Ring camera cutting across my driveway multiple times!! Why is she trespassing? I am going to call the police!" Yeah, I'm sure that Sissy Spacek looking lady with her grey pony tail, J Crew barn jacket and Hunter rain boots is a real threat to public safety. All of these nosy nervous nellies make for a really nice, built-in surveillance system so I never worry.

All the crazy encounters I've had have been in NYC. Maybe 1 or 2 in Jersey City...but the vast majority have been in NYC. From some drunk, finance looking bro trying to get into my car at 1 in the morning while I was stopped at a red light in Hell's Kitchen, to the garden variety street harassment, to the colorful cast of homeless people and crackheads, to my fellow bridge & tunnelers who are emboldened by the anonymity of strangers passing in the night. You don't get that kind of excitement in Morristown. Yeah, there are some loud drunks and townies on the bar streets, but they are harmless. The homeless people I have seen in Morristown so far have all just been passed out in vestibules and such. They're the ones in danger, not me.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kidd View Post
Morristown is cute and quaint - LOL!
Yup. It is.

You're the dude that thinks Morristown is "urban", right?

Some of you people must have come from a cornfield in Nebraska.

Or maybe you live inside The Andy Griffith Show, and one day, someone sprinkled magic fairy dust on the giant wood panel RCA TV set, releasing you and enabling you to climb out into the real world in awe and wonderment. Or maybe you were living in an underground bunker with Kimmy Schmidt.

Morristown is a sleepy ass suburb. Yeah, it's got a buzzing downtown, but it's still a sleepy ass suburb.

Morristown is the suburban hangout place that parents don't mind their high schoolers hanging out in, because it's clean, close by, and thank God they are not going into the city.

I have some old friends who are life long Sussex County boys, self-proclaimed rednecks, who don't mind hanging out in Morristown precisely because it's not urban. (But if you try to drag them out to Jersey City to broaden their horizons, they bellyache until we somehow end up in Hackettstown or Hopatcong.)

The 20 somethings, the millennial yuppies, the Gen X DINKS, and the stylish silver fox retired AARP crowd are, yeah, all here for the Instagrammable charming quaintness.

When the 20 somethings and the millennials (and the Gen X-ers who haven't yet started saying "I'm getting too old for this schidt") start getting bored, they venture out to the actual urban centers for actual city adventures.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 AM

686 posts, read 507,025 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize there were gangs in Morristown of all places!
I would think that would be great exaggeration to say there are "gangs" mostly just recent immigrants from Central America. Most people who are visiting Morristown are going to South Street and downtown area near the Green. You may encounter rowdy drunk groups but mostly on weekend nights and homeless crazy type's from the Mission Homeless shelter but in general they don't hassle you for money as much as the homeless do in Newark or Jersey City.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 846,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Obligatory LOL. I thought you had me on ignore. But I see you have been reading (and seething over) my posts this whole time. How gratifying! Let me ask you a question before you put me back on ignore...

Don't you ever tire of getting dog walked on this forum? Is that your kink?

And don't you live in Denville? What makes you an expert on Morristown? Because you and your middle aged friends come out here every other Friday for date nights, dressed in your finest khakis and your Jos A. Bank mock neck pullovers, to what...eat potato skins and drink margaritas at the swinging Office Tavern Grill?

I grew up in this area, a couple towns away, and never left except for short stints. I have been frequenting Morristown since the 90s when I was in high school.

Morristown is exactly like Nyack. A suburb that has a Charming Walkable Downtown.

It's hilarious that half your posts about Morristown say it is "EXTREMELY SAFE" and the "BEST" and "SUPERIOR" choice for 20 somethings...when someone happens to have the opinion that, say, Jersey City or Montclair are much more interesting, or have more to offer.

Yet, if someone comes around asking about safety in Morristown, you'll instruct them not to go out at night because they will definitely get shot by MS-13 or get harassed by "black thugs" if they are a "white girl". I have covered every single street in Morristown on foot, multiple times. I have never felt unsafe. Except on the Patriot's Path when people have warned me that there is a bear up ahead.

Also, how do you know the OP is a white girl? She doesn't say anything about anyone's race. She could just as well be black. Or Indian or Korean or Filipino or Peruvian or Puerto Rican. How are any of us are supposed to know from what she posted?

Jesus Herbert Christ. You are a clown.

Ok Mr. Know it all. I can guarantee you never walked any street besides south street at night. Your snoody smarter than though Livingston buttox would be crying and jawline would be hurting if someone brought your nerdy skinny whiteass to the Hollow. Talk alot of smartass comments on the internet forums but no real life experience.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Ok Mr. Know it all. I can guarantee you never walked any street besides south street at night. Your snoody smarter than though Livingston buttox would be crying and jawline would be hurting if someone brought your nerdy skinny whiteass to the Hollow. Talk alot of smartass comments on the internet forums but no real life experience.
I'm originally from Jersey City. And not the gentrified Downtown section. Moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or