U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 411 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a mid-twenties female considering moving to Nyack, NY (This is the first time I'll be living on my own and I plan to share a house/apartment with roommates). I'm wondering what you all think of how safe the area feels. I've read all the statistics, but I'm interested in hearing people's personal experiences as well.

I've spent some time in the town and had mixed experiences. For the most part, I've felt pretty safe. But several times when I've been in the downtown area alone at night, I've felt a little uncomfortable. I know there's an area where some homeless people seem to hang out often. I have no problem with this or them spending time there, and I don't mean to sound offensive in asking this, but I'm wondering if anyone's felt a little unsafe or harassed there? I've also encountered some rowdy drunk groups that made me feel a little uncomfortable. And a couple years ago, there was a fight that took place in the downtown area that ended up involving the cops, and I believe someone shot a gun at some point. I'm not sure if some areas of the town are safer than others, or if these kinds of incidents are actually uncommon, and I just had bad luck with them?

I apologize if anything in this post sounds offensive in any way. I certainly didn't intend that. I just want to get a better idea of what the area would feel like for a young female on her own.

Thank you!

Old 10-28-2019, 01:49 PM

1,597 posts, read 999,447 times
Ma’am, this is New Jersey.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,060,227 times
Hi, Ma'am. Nyack is a cute, quaint little town. In my Jersey trash opinion, safety isn't an issue in a place like that. It reminds me a lot of Morristown NJ, actually.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:44 PM

6,055 posts, read 3,186,252 times
I've been there. It is very suburban, almost rural. It is safe, at least the parts I went through.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:51 PM

4,095 posts, read 9,196,892 times
You basically hit the nail on its head. There are a relatively large amount of homeless and you will have drunk people around at night on the weekend.

Nyack has become much more desirable over the last 20 years or so. It was not desirable back in the day and you still have some of that element left over

I wouldn’t hesitate to move there, just be aware of yourself

Old 10-28-2019, 06:19 PM

3,821 posts, read 2,327,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Hi, Ma'am. Nyack is a cute, quaint little town. In my Jersey trash opinion, safety isn't an issue in a place like that. It reminds me a lot of Morristown NJ, actually.
Morristown, NJ is less safe, certainly at night, IMHO than many New York City neighborhoods.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 PM

9,592 posts, read 15,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Morristown, NJ is less safe, certainly at night, IMHO than many New York City neighborhoods.
That's damning with faint praise. Many NYC neighborhoods are obscenely safe nowadays.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:59 PM

4,822 posts, read 3,288,058 times
nyack is ok. Its in rockland county. Its like NJ

Old 10-29-2019, 12:52 AM

1,162 posts, read 846,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
The one thing you have right is that your opinion is regularly trash. Nyack is almost nothing like Morristown, except it has a mainstreet with some bars.

I would not say Nyack is all bad and wouldnt look bad to the passerby but its not desirable. There has been a string of shootings on the mainstreet and at bars, its a rougher crowd at night than you will find in other towns like Morristown, Hoboken etc. My friends now wife lived in Nyack in her late 20s- mid 30s alone and she never had problems but also never went out alone. The one time she did invite us out to go to some new bar for her birthday the windows were shot out (this was about 5 years ago) a couple days before and we needed to change plans. They didnt go out to much in Nyack but would regularly go out in Morristown and eventually she moved out. Id say listen to your gut and if you dont feel comfortable find something that feels right.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:01 AM

1,162 posts, read 846,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Morristown is extremley safe around the main street and green, however there is a section which is segregated off (and there is no reason to be there) where you can pickup drugs, MS-13 gang members are located, and should be obvious no go zone for any white girl walking in the street at 2am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or