Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceog View Post
If they are uneducated and learned about NJ through TV and movies they might not think NJ is great. Asking if they look at NJ as some people in NJ look at Newark is a bit of a stretch and just not a great comparison. Many non Newark residents in NJ were conditioned to think Newark is the worst place on the planet. Many people who are really focused on telling you how bad Newark is have never spent time in Newark and only know it through the media. Newark will not be able to outgrow it's bad reputation unless it improves (which it has been doing in certain areas and continues to) and the next generations aren't taught how "bad" it is.*

Travel through NJ and find out what it's really like. Why is this important to you? I don't particularly care what the rest of the country thinks about NJ because if they think they have it all figured out from a distance than their opinion doesn't much matter.*
Driving through a place doesn't give you the whole picture. Look at crime statistics and compare towns, and you will see the concerns about those areas is a valid one. People are fooling themselves by driving through an area where they picked a nice street and form an opinion that this is a good town after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 12:07 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
I typically don't concern myself with what ignorant people think.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:44 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes, that is exactly what you're saying and it's BS.
No I’m asking if the way we see Newark that is how other states see us by comparison.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:33 AM

23 posts, read 18,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Driving through a place doesn't give you the whole picture. Look at crime statistics and compare towns, and you will see the concerns about those areas is a valid one. People are fooling themselves by driving through an area where they picked a nice street and form an opinion that this is a good town after all.
Well, that's obvious. Even after researching the living hell out of towns on line, you still should be driving through them and spending some time there to see what the vibe is like. If you are moving from out of state that might be hard to do, but looking at online demographics doesn't always tell the whole story.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
No I’m asking if the way we see Newark that is how other states see us by comparison.
No.

The stereotype is negative. But it is a different negative.

The stereotype about Newark is mostly about the “dangerous” inhabitants.

Crack houses, carjackings, muggings and drive-by shootings.

The stereotype about the state is the scenery/environment.

Many of the people who are negative about NJ, have never been here. But of the ones who have been here, they often have only seen the part of NJ on the NJ Turnpike between Newark airport and NYC. So they think if NJ as smokestacks, refineries, industrial areas, shipping containers, and landfills. Basically, ugliness and pollution.

They don't see it as a minuscule portion of the state. They just assume the rest of the state is like that.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Still BS. You ask if the way we see it, which is how or better yet , who is we? I ask becuase depending on whom you ask you will get differing response's so again to me it's BS.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Still BS. You ask if the way we see it, which is how or better yet , who is we? I ask becuase depending on whom you ask you will get differing response's so again to me it's BS.
But we all know what the stereotypes are. A stereotype, by definition, is a generality. It does not mean that every single person sees it that way.

Knowing the stereotype does not mean we agree with the stereotype, just that we acknowledge what it is. I don't agree with either of the 2 stereotypes I have posted above, but the fact that I don’t agree with them, does not make them disappear.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But we all know what the stereotypes are. A stereotype, by definition, is a generality. It does not mean that every single person sees it that way.

Knowing the stereotype does not mean we agree with the stereotype, just that we acknowledge what it is. I don't agree with either of the 2 stereotypes I have posted above, but the fact that I don’t agree with them, does not make them disappear.
.......agreed , I just have a belief that becuase some make wrong assumptions doesn't mean everyone does.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:21 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Based upon my personal experiences many, if not most, view New Jersey negatively. New Jersey is viewed as the "armpit of America". Prior to my first trip to New Jersey, ironically to visit a friend that lives in Newark, I had a negative perception of New Jersey just based upon reputation. My parents couldn't believe I wanted to go there. Co-workers and friends would say with disdain "You're going to New Jersey?"

For a period of 18 months I lived in NEPA outside of Scranton. Scranton is not a happening nor pretty town and people were convinced I was "connected" or trafficking drugs. Both humorous and ironic considering how corrupt NEPA is itself.

People in NYC thumb their nose. I remember talking to a guy in a bar about Major League Soccer. This was prior to NYCFC and he was complaining about not having a team. I mentioned that he could just take the train to Newark Penn and go to NYRB matches and he was almost offended that I suggested going to New Jersey. "I'm not going there." Makes me wonder how many in NYC have missed the opportunity to a nice skyline view of their fine city from Hoboken or Jersey City simply because they refuse to even take a train there.

I've become a bit of a booster for New Jersey or, at least, Newark. Whenever someone I know is visiting NYC I will always suggest they take a train to Newark Penn and check out the Ironbound.

I would never move to NJ because of the taxes, asinine liquor and gas pumping laws and the high cost of living but it's a fine place to visit.

Fear not, though, as New Jersey is not the only place that people hold negative views of. I am a Michigan native and most people outside of Michigan are convinced they will be shot dead if the enter Detroit. Their loss.

Enjoy a Taylor Ham or Pork Roll (whatever you call it in your neck of Jersey) sandwich for me.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
I grew up in NJ. Although a job after grad school led me south, I have never been ashamed of my roots. The only annoying stereotype I encounter is that virtually every time I say I am from New Jersey, the other person comes back with "New Joisey?" Like this is some clever, funny retort. I patiently tell them, I never said it that way and neither did anyone else I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey