U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM

5,485 posts, read 13,474,483 times

Advertisements

Well the answer is YES you can make a right on red in NJ AFTER you come to a complete stop, unless there is a No Right On Red sign.

NY State does allow also but NOT NY City. I worked in Staten Island decades ago and saw many out of town drivers get nailed because many forget Staten Island is part of NYC.

Also in 37 states,,, not NJ but others you an make a LEFT on Red at intersections of two one-way streets.

I remember doing that in Virginia except where they had No LEFT On Red signs.

You can Goog that, I've seen it all over, not NJ.

https://www.quora.com/Traffic-Law-Is...-circumstances

The left turn on red section of wikipedia states, In the U.S., 37 states and Puerto Rico allow left turns on red only if both the origin and destination streets are one way. ... Four other states, namely Idaho, Michigan, Oregon and Washington, allow left turns on red onto a one-way street even from a two-way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:34 AM

8,793 posts, read 12,741,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My problem always is sitting at a light and the car in front of me is signaling right-turn. I honk and honk, then pull my hand out to tell the car in front of me to turn already goddamit. The car in front of me, a woman just threw both of her hand up and she's not gonna do it.

So recently, I overcame this problem at my area. I simply wait until there's no traffic and I pulled around the double yellow line and circle around the car in front of me that refuses to turn right on a red light with zero traffic.

Wake up people, if you don't know you can turn right or not. Why can't you Google it!?

You found this website but you can't GOOGLE?
The law says right on red allowed after full stop....not MANDATORY right on red after blowing through the light.

If you're going to Gooddamit anyone, go look in the mirror.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM

626 posts, read 1,378,072 times
Quote:
My problem always is sitting at a light and the car in front of me is signaling right-turn. I honk and honk, then pull my hand out to tell the car in front of me to turn already goddamit. The car in front of me, a woman just threw both of her hand up and she's not gonna do it.
Wow, that is a jerk move. Doing that to someone can potentially cause an accident. Personally, I am a generally anxious driver and do not like turning right on red - I will only do it when I feel perfectly safe and confident enough to do so. In addition, some intersections are harder to see what's happening than others - and the car behind me may not be able to see what I see. But someone honking their stupid horn at me demanding that I turn is only adding to my stress level and is tantamount to bullying. There have been times I felt pressured to turn by a-holes honking behind me -- my anxiety increased, my adrenaline spiked and sort of blinded my vision, so I started turning - only to stop short because of oncoming traffic that nearly collided with me. An adrenaline rush while driving is no joke.

STOP BEING A JERK - DON'T HONK AT PEOPLE WHO WON'T TURN RIGHT ON RED. Instead, take a deep breath and enjoy the scenery!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,011 times
There is etiquette to honking. A couple of short honks to remind the driver it’s ok to go isn’t rude, IMO.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 PM

26,140 posts, read 24,905,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
There is etiquette to honking. A couple of short honks to remind the driver it’s ok to go isn’t rude, IMO.
Yes, there is. My son loves my car horn because it has a pleasant, rather quiet little toot that you can send to the people who are texting at a stop. It's green. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:12 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,757,105 times
Quote:

So recently, I overcame this problem at my area. I simply wait until there's no traffic and I pulled around the double yellow line and circle around the car in front of me that refuses to turn right on a red light with zero traffic.

Wake up people, if you don't know you can turn right or not. Why can't you Google it!?

If you did that to me, I'd ram the side of your car, and YOU would be at fault. And then I'd sue you for every penny I could.

Best be careful who you f-with on the roads.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:21 PM

5,485 posts, read 13,474,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I usually only flip my high beams on a tap rather than add to noise pollution. Most people get that otherwise its a few seconds afore they wake the F up,,, almost never honk for those things.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,060,739 times
Quote:

Calm down, bro.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:55 PM

26,140 posts, read 24,905,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If you did that to me, I'd ram the side of your car, and YOU would be at fault. And then I'd sue you for every penny I could.

Best be careful who you f-with on the roads.
Towanda. Not the town in PA.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 PM

1,095 posts, read 488,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
.............and the the first time Police nail you there will be a post here complaining about the Police.
And one day I will all over the news for causing a major accident. I am the one who crashed my dump truck on I-280 jumping over the divider. I am the one who caused the recent head on collision. I should be embarrassed for all of this crap I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or