U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 09:29 AM

22,664 posts, read 17,504,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It really is a NJ thing.

I had no idea...

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/10/its_...ief_night.html
I am 57, and I had no idea mischief night was a New Jersey thing! I thought it was a nationwide holiday LOL. When I was a kid I was never allowed out on mischief night. I think though that it’s gone the way of crank calls, people don’t do it anymore because now everyone has cameras. And also everyone is crazy now and you never know when someone will come out and shoot you because you put toilet paper in the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:53 AM

2,624 posts, read 895,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am 57, and I had no idea mischief night was a New Jersey thing! I thought it was a nationwide holiday LOL. When I was a kid I was never allowed out on mischief night. I think though that it’s gone the way of crank calls, people don’t do it anymore because now everyone has cameras. And also everyone is crazy now and you never know when someone will come out and shoot you because you put toilet paper in the trees.

We usually see some, but I think things were pretty quiet this year. Probably weather related.

My sister and I went out when we lived in the suburbs of Seattle, so it was a 'thing' there, though not widespread. The town where my parents live, in Utah, only has about 1,000 people, but they have mischief night, too. They also have a tradition where all the jack-o-lanterns and pumpkins in town are gathered up and put on the roof of the post office. A few years back there were some hay bales and traffic cones up there as well, lol.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM

291 posts, read 147,195 times
I think the coyotes might have gotten a fawn.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM

24,860 posts, read 30,973,365 times
i remember mischief night when i was a kid in manalapan. then when i moved to marlboro we didnt experience it at all. the feeling was that the house in marlboro was bigger and lots were bigger so 1. less easy to run around different properties and 2. kids seemed to think more expensive properties had better security. now that i am an adult living in holmdel, i never hear about it. so im not sure if its been wiped out or if it was more a manalapan thing.

i will say, now that i am an adult i am not sure i would be so tolerant of this practice. but i guess it was just toilet paper, shaving cream and an occasional egging. probably not worth being the one to fight back, would probably just get you hit worse next year.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM

6,542 posts, read 16,406,290 times
I never heard of it until I moved to New Jersey. And having been here 15 years now, I've never *seen* any evidence of it. I've only heard people (mostly age 40+) talk about it as a thing people used to do when they were teenagers.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM

24,860 posts, read 30,973,365 times
it was definitely a thing in the 80's in manalapan at least. nothing crazy, toilet paper in trees, shaving cream on cars and some eggs on cars/houses. i remember a story of a guy getting egged.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:18 PM

432 posts, read 223,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I was a kid--in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn--in the '50s, there was no such thing as Mischief Night.
Similarly, when we moved to Bayonne in '56, there was no such thing as Mischief Night.
So what night is it, because I've never heard of it.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 AM

22,664 posts, read 17,504,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
So what night is it, because I've never heard of it.
Oct 30

Old 11-08-2019, 07:35 AM

58,467 posts, read 56,402,314 times
In my town, it was called Goosey Night. Traditional activities were ringing doorbells and running, throwing eggs (but then the stores agreed not to sell eggs to kids that day) rubbing soap and toothpaste on car windows, throwing water balloons at cars, toilet papering trees.

Lessons learned: it's hard to run with a bag full of water balloons, and if the cops catch you and you have eggs in your sweatshirt pockets, they will squeeze the pocket so the eggs crack and you will be wearing runny raw egg on your clothes.

I remember my grandfather telling me that they used to put horse manure on people's front porches, especially someone they didn't like, put straw on top, set it on fire and then knock the door and run so that the person would come out, see the fire, and stamp it out. They also tipped over outhouses when people were inside them.

Wild and crazy 1920's Goosey Night.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM

15,718 posts, read 5,614,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It really is a NJ thing.

I had no idea...

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/10/its_...ief_night.html
...............no, not really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_Night

In most of New Jersey, as well as in New Orleans, Philadelphia, Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, parts of New York State, and Connecticut, it is referred to as "Mischief Night" or, particularly in the Great Lakes region, "Devil's Night". In some towns in Northern New Jersey and parts of New York State, it is also known as "Goosey Night".[4][5][6]

Meanwhile, in Baltimore, Maryland, it has traditionally been referred to as "Moving Night" due to the custom of exchanging or stealing porch furniture and other outside items.[7]

In Detroit, which was particularly hard-hit by Devil's Night arson and vandalism throughout the 1980s, many citizens take it upon themselves to patrol the streets to deter arsonists and those who may break the law. This is known as "Angels' Night". Some 40,000 volunteer citizens patrol the city on Angels' Night, which usually runs October 29 through October 31, around the time most Halloween festivities are taking place.[8]

In rural Niagara Falls, Ontario, during the 1950s and 1960s, Cabbage Night (French: Nuit de Chou) referred to the custom of raiding local gardens for leftover rotting cabbages and hurling them about to create mischief in the neighbourhood. Today, the night is still celebrated in Ontario but is also commonly known as "Cabbage Night" in parts of the United States areas of Vermont; Connecticut; Bergen County, New Jersey; Upstate New York; Northern Kentucky; Newport, Rhode Island; and Western Massachusetts.[9]

It is known as "Gate Night" in New Hampshire, West Kootenay (British Columbia), Vancouver Island, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay (Ontario), Bay City (Michigan), Rockland County (New York), North Dakota and South Dakota; the implication is that the Gates of Hell open the night before Halloween; as "Mat Night" in English-speaking Quebec; and as "Devil's Night" in many places throughout Canada, Michigan, and western Pennsylvania.[10]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey