U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:04 PM
zs4 zs4 started this thread

18 posts, read 19,166 times

Advertisements

I got a contract job at Penn Plaza in Newark. Is it better to take the LIRR from Huntington or is it better to drive. Any idea on parking would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 02:32 PM

59,600 posts, read 57,119,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs4 View Post
I got a contract job at Penn Plaza in Newark. Is it better to take the LIRR from Huntington or is it better to drive. Any idea on parking would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Driving sounds like hell on earth, unless you are on off-hours (not rush hours). It still might be hell on off-hours.

I would take the LIRR to NY Penn, and then NJ Transit to Newark Penn. The ride from NYC to Newark is only 20 minutes.

There are parking lots near Newark Penn. You could Google to get the particulars.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM

5,498 posts, read 13,570,860 times
I once did a daily ride from Babylon NY towards the NJ Shore,,,, don't think I'd want to even think about that again.
Yes much depends on what hour of day as you are talking driving from LI thru and across Manhattan unless you go thru SI,,, and out to Newark.
LI into the city is one big jam each morning, I would try to drive across the Willy and out the Holland and Skyway to Newark, shortest and least tolls, but train would be a pref.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM

14,935 posts, read 18,077,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Driving sounds like hell on earth, unless you are on off-hours (not rush hours). It still might be hell on off-hours.
+1
Driving daily from Long Island to Newark would be very similar to having a Root Canal--sans Novocain--done daily, and I really doubt if anyone would opt for that type of procedure on a regular basis.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 PM
zs4 zs4 started this thread

18 posts, read 19,166 times
I appreciate everyone's input. I didn't have a job for many months, so I have to take this job because the money is good (any money is good when you have nothing). It's a regular 9-5 in the office, no telecommuting.

I drove yesterday. I left at 5am because my normal waking time is 4am (its been like that since high school). I got there in about 90 mins, and then rested at a starbucks, took a nap in the car, and finally parked the car and went to the office at 8:30 (still 30 mins early).

Newark is horrendous. The president speaks about sh*thole countries, well, this is a sh*thole city. Its like a city trying to rebuild after having gone through a war- just my first impression. Parking is very expensive. The cheapest I found was $8.

My job had a computer problem, so i had half a day yesterday and off today. So while the drive to work was ok, although a bit expensive, I have no idea how bad the return trip is going to be. I'm thinking it'll be awful. I'm thinking of hitting a gym near the job from 5-6pm, and then driving home. That way, I'll get a badly needed workout, and traffic will hopefully have died down a bit, and I'll be home in time for a slightly late dinner.

The real question is will I be able to sustain all this driving over the next year and not go crazy? It seems easy now, but its only been half a day so far. I'm considering just driving to Huntington and taking the train tomorrow morning. Still not sure.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,036,913 times
You might consider moving to NJ.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:40 PM

59,600 posts, read 57,119,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs4 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I didn't have a job for many months, so I have to take this job because the money is good (any money is good when you have nothing). It's a regular 9-5 in the office, no telecommuting.

I drove yesterday. I left at 5am because my normal waking time is 4am (its been like that since high school). I got there in about 90 mins, and then rested at a starbucks, took a nap in the car, and finally parked the car and went to the office at 8:30 (still 30 mins early).

Newark is horrendous. The president speaks about sh*thole countries, well, this is a sh*thole city. Its like a city trying to rebuild after having gone through a war- just my first impression. Parking is very expensive. The cheapest I found was $8.

My job had a computer problem, so i had half a day yesterday and off today. So while the drive to work was ok, although a bit expensive, I have no idea how bad the return trip is going to be. I'm thinking it'll be awful. I'm thinking of hitting a gym near the job from 5-6pm, and then driving home. That way, I'll get a badly needed workout, and traffic will hopefully have died down a bit, and I'll be home in time for a slightly late dinner.

The real question is will I be able to sustain all this driving over the next year and not go crazy? It seems easy now, but its only been half a day so far. I'm considering just driving to Huntington and taking the train tomorrow morning. Still not sure.
$8 is dirt cheap for parking. I've heard of a $10 lot, but that's near Harrison (a PATH stop over from Newark), and I thought that was cheap.

Yeah, we know about Newark. Our largest city, and not something to be proud of. A few years ago the Newark teachers' association took out billboards that said, "STOP THE SHOOTINGS IN NEWARK". That's pretty bad. There are a couple of decent sections, especially the Portuguese/Spanish/Brazilian enclave called The Ironbound on the other side of the train station. But most of Newark is in bad shape.

Looking like a city that is trying to rebuild after a war is an apt description, except that the war was fifty years ago. Race riots broke out in the 1960s in Newark, there was major "white flight", and the buildings that were burned down were never replaced. The city was just left to decay.

There is some interest and organization to rehabilitate the city. It will be an uphill battle, in my opinion, but I hope there can be progress.

I urge you to try the train. It can't hurt, and you can judge which method works best for you.

Glad you do have a job after not having one. I hate seeing people out of work who want to work.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:47 AM

991 posts, read 639,066 times
That shthole city is home to many who can’t afford more. Be happy you make the bigger bucks, own a car and are ok with commuting 3 hours a day because you don’t need a daycare that opens at 5am. I’d think you’d be a little less judgmental considering your own employment hardships.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:56 AM

291 posts, read 57,170 times
You couldn't pay me to drive from long island to New Jersey daily.

Take the LIRR and then just change TO NJ train... It'll take you about an hour.

I wouldn't recommend you doing the driving for a year, there is research that shows that people who commit themselves to driving like that daily, end up suffering from depression and high levels of stress.

I have done a similar commute but I always took the train, it was a chance for me to listen to music, read a nice book, or take a nap.

Last edited by backpaker; 11-06-2019 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-06-2019, 07:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 954,613 times
And you drove in on a nice day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or