Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM

33 posts, read 26,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
jersey city is calling for you
just heard the ring from 300 miles down south thanks in advance kind stranger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM

88,263 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00stM0bil View Post
just heard the ring from 300 miles down south thanks in advance kind stranger!
Wait, I thought you were from the Bronx.

I confused you with another poster. Was wondering why you didn't seem to know about Newark lol.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-09-2019 at 03:57 AM..

Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 PM

195 posts, read 134,935 times
Alot of people are moving to Newark, Irvington for cheap homes. It only makes sense to buy closer to Penn Station and broad st station as they are sources of gentrification. Gentrification Spreads outward from transportation centers... Which will eventually. Uplift Newark ... That about 15 years away. PPl here will give u a ton of advice, but these ppl are responsible for the balkinization of NJ. Which is why there is s much school segregation, high taxes, tolls, and government. So no matter the choice... you will probably be ok

Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 PM

51 posts, read 56,351 times
You probably need to provide more details for folks to be of more help.
Where will you work?
How to you plan to commute?
will you have a car?
Will you need off-street parking?
How much of a commute time are you comfortable with?
I work in midtown manhattan and live in the Ironbound. My door to door commute take 50 min. I don't have children so I don't care how good or bad the schools are. My housing choice came down to a tradeoff between rent vs. ease of commute / commute time.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:37 AM

10,190 posts, read 6,748,434 times
Newark has improved as the total US economy has improved and African American unemployment is at a 60 year low.

Newark does have its issues - drugs, gangs and dealing with people who wonder the streets looking for issues. I lived in Newark for 2 years and dealt with my car windows being smashed twice, locals trying to start fights with you just for existing (regularly), and had 3 murders outside my apartment window. Additionally after 5pm most local business shut down and there isnt much to do.

Harrison which is across the river of Newark and has seen large development, my personal opinion is its just becoming a place for overpriced transient housing.

Kearny is okay, my not so PC description is its just a grimey cold feeling Newark suburb town with mostly hispanics now.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 PM

33 posts, read 26,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtasva View Post
You probably need to provide more details for folks to be of more help.
Where will you work?
How to you plan to commute?
will you have a car?
Will you need off-street parking?
How much of a commute time are you comfortable with?
I work in midtown manhattan and live in the Ironbound. My door to door commute take 50 min. I don't have children so I don't care how good or bad the schools are. My housing choice came down to a tradeoff between rent vs. ease of commute / commute time.
Yea I would be working in Manhattan also. I just graduated so no kids and really dont care about the quality of public schools, commute now is about an hour so I’m not too fazed. Street parking would be lit but If I’m in the burbs I don’t think it should be too much of an issue.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,076,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00stM0bil View Post
Looking for $700 per month, utilities will make it $800ish
$700-800 in Newark would be a pretty rough time. You're guaranteed to be in rough areas. The decent housing in Newark (especially the newer stuff downtown and even Ironbound) is damned expensive. Montclair and surrounding suburbs are even worse $$-wise. If you're income allows you could apply for some of the newer affordable housing rentals around NNJ (no it's not the same as Section 8).

You could also try counties immediately south of Essex for more options: Union - Middlesex (many of which have direct train access to NY)

Old 11-12-2019, 09:01 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,536,221 times
When you think of train towns Rahway comes up but its been getting built up around the train station too but is residential.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,432,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Newark has improved as the total US economy has improved and African American unemployment is at a 60 year low.

Newark does have its issues - drugs, gangs and dealing with people who wonder the streets looking for issues. I lived in Newark for 2 years and dealt with my car windows being smashed twice, locals trying to start fights with you just for existing (regularly), and had 3 murders outside my apartment window. Additionally after 5pm most local business shut down and there isnt much to do.

Harrison which is across the river of Newark and has seen large development, my personal opinion is its just becoming a place for overpriced transient housing.

Kearny is okay, my not so PC description is its just a grimey cold feeling Newark suburb town with mostly hispanics now.
What do you mean by grimey cold feeling?

Old 11-15-2019, 08:54 AM

195 posts, read 134,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
What do you mean by grimey cold feeling?
means not interesting place to live or ppl are not neighborly. Good thing they have that 3.5% sales tax walmart. Thats very interesting for your wallet.

Anyway, live where u can afford. Plain and simple. This forum is inundated with these types of questions. In fact, 90% of the forum is what town is this ? what town is that? etc etc. You get different answers because like i said before the ppl in NJ decided to balkanize themselves into different enclaves; which a main reason why their property taxes are highest in the nation.No one person here can detail every nuance and exception each town has, if they claim so, they would be lying. my own summary of jersey towns are: basically is comes down to Suburbs, High end suburbs, urban, high end urban, Rural and shore. If you really care just drive through the town...but really there nothing really special here.

Last edited by Cptjcz; 11-15-2019 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey