U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 11:06 AM

64 posts, read 15,585 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at doing something Veteran's Day related - we are new in the area and I can't find anything at this stage

Any ideas for family friendly event ? parade or similar ? (preference for Bergen county area)

thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 07:18 AM

58,494 posts, read 56,429,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
My family is looking at doing something Veteran's Day related - we are new in the area and I can't find anything at this stage

Any ideas for family friendly event ? parade or similar ? (preference for Bergen county area)

thanks !
Veteran's Day isn't usually a fun day in the US but rather a day of remembrance. In my hometown of Midland Park, for example, people gather at a small park called Veteran's Plaza, hear a short speech, and the names of those from town who died in the wars since WW1 are read and wreaths are placed.

While I always appreciated seeing the few parents who brought their kids, it's not meant as entertainment.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 AM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
There's going to be a parade somewhere. I'd call an American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post and ask.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:03 PM

64 posts, read 15,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Veteran's Day isn't usually a fun day in the US but rather a day of remembrance. In my hometown of Midland Park, for example, people gather at a small park called Veteran's Plaza, hear a short speech, and the names of those from town who died in the wars since WW1 are read and wreaths are placed.

While I always appreciated seeing the few parents who brought their kids, it's not meant as entertainment.
Yes not so much for entertainment but for educational purposes I thought it was important. The other post mentions a parade. That's the type of event I meant.

Thank you for response.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM

897 posts, read 610,506 times
Not sure if it’s age appropriate for your kids but showing a (graphic) movie about wwi in ft lee park along with cannon.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM

58,494 posts, read 56,429,635 times
Quote:
Yes not so much for entertainment but for educational purposes I thought it was important. The other post mentions a parade. That's the type of event I meant.

Thank you for response.
Oh ok. The big one is in NYC, but not sure who has one in Bergen County.

Back in the 90s, my father and some of his veteran friends used to go to the high school to tell kids stories of the war. He was a WWIi disabled vet. Has been gone 20 years now.

The kids were really interested. It was like ancient history to them.

It is important. Nice that you want to teach your kids that.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 PM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
Quote:

Thank you for response.
That was me. My home town (in PA) still has a parade. Many decade ago, my father walked in them as a VFW or Knights of Columbus member. Both of my older brothers belonged to the local VFW marching band.

When I was in ninth and tenth grade in high school, I walked/marched with the high school band in that parade. I did the same when I was a girl scout.

I loved those parades. When I was older and sitting on a curb, mom would shout, "Stand up!", because India, China, Burma was passing. There were three elderly guys one year, a couple two years later, and finally just one. I moved away not long after that.

When I was very young, I used to watch Victory at Sea and World at War with my father on Saturday. That was, of course, after a dose of Looney Tunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or