U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 AM

81,683 posts, read 75,132,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'm with your niece. Of all the "beaches" I've been to on the east coast, I certainly would not consider the ones in RI or MA or even Maine to be "beaches" - you might find some ground up rocks in between the rocks, but a beach, sorry.

I've been to several beaches on the Cape - and sorry, but you can keep the entire Cape as far as beaches go and that goes for the beaches in Rhode Island as well. Maine's beaches, gotta love rocks and freezing water. What's a beach if you can't swim?

Trust me, you're not missing anything on the MA beaches ... or RI. I lived within a 5 minute drive of one of the most beloved beaches in Narragansett (RI). Just doesn't have the appeal of a Jersey beach - public or private, with or without a boardwalk.
I have a friend who lives not too far from me. I went to the beach one day with her and her daughter. I ended up hanging out with the daughter, who was a teenager at the time, because it turns out my friend doesn't go in the water. That's the whole point of going to the beach in summer, lol. To swim in the ocean.

I had another friend many years ago who went to the beach with a group of us and kept jumping up and having to brush herself off or shake out the blanket, because--get this--she didn't like all the sand.

Um...beach is not the place for you, then.

Four years ago, my mother had quad bypass surgery and started her dialysis at the same time (the dialysis was expected, the heart failure was not). I was at the hospital for a week, texting out information to the other siblings who could not spend as much time there as I could because of their own responsibilities.

The end of that week was Labor Day weekend, and two of my sisters told me to go home for a couple of days because they would stay with Mom and give me a break. On that Labor Day, the water was wonderful. It was warm, and the waves were coming in large swells that broke gently near the sand, so I stayed there for hours, and I spent much of the day just bobbing out there in the water, away from anything or anybody after a week of stress. It is one of the most peaceful days I can remember. I could live out there. Just bring me an occasional pizza.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:01 PM

20,553 posts, read 15,613,015 times
West Coast is ridiculously expensive compared to East Coast, $400k buys a tiny shack and requires 1 hr+ of driving to major job sites. In NJ, for $400k you could buy somewhere less ideal say around Newark or Elizabeth and get to NYC in 30-40mins because of mass transit. West Coast where very limited mass transit exist you have to buy close to major roadways or be stuck in traffic hell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 16,460,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
West Coast is ridiculously expensive compared to East Coast, $400k buys a tiny shack and requires 1 hr+ of driving to major job sites. In NJ, for $400k you could buy somewhere less ideal say around Newark or Elizabeth and get to NYC in 30-40mins because of mass transit. West Coast where very limited mass transit exist you have to buy close to major roadways or be stuck in traffic hell.
FWIW, $400k gets you some pretty nice condos in Hudson County as well even closer to jobs in NYC.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Status: "City Planner looking to bring TOD to you" (set 8 days ago)

10,301 posts, read 5,494,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'm with your niece. Of all the "beaches" I've been to on the east coast, I certainly would not consider the ones in RI or MA or even Maine to be "beaches" - you might find some ground up rocks in between the rocks, but a beach, sorry.

I've been to several beaches on the Cape - and sorry, but you can keep the entire Cape as far as beaches go and that goes for the beaches in Rhode Island as well. Maine's beaches, gotta love rocks and freezing water. What's a beach if you can't swim?

Trust me, you're not missing anything on the MA beaches ... or RI. I lived within a 5 minute drive of one of the most beloved beaches in Narragansett (RI). Just doesn't have the appeal of a Jersey beach - public or private, with or without a boardwalk.
Outside of NJ/NYC area, no one outwardly loves NJ beaches. They are OK at best. Theres no match to beaches like Mayflower or The National Sea Shore.

Most of my NJ friends' favorite beaches are on the Cape oddly enough

Old 01-22-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Outside of NJ/NYC area, no one outwardly loves NJ beaches. They are OK at best. Theres no match to beaches like Mayflower or The National Sea Shore.

Most of my NJ friends' favorite beaches are on the Cape oddly enough
I regularly see people with MA plates at the shore in summer. PA also goes to the shore. I have two friends with bachelorette parties this year. Neither are from the Northeast. They have friends here though. Both considered parts of the shore. One is definitely doing it this year. The other chose somewhere else, but was strongly considering a few shore towns.

Also, people love to crap all over NJ for literally every.single.thing. Of course the majority of the US is never going to admit that NJ has anything good.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I regularly see people with MA plates at the shore in summer. PA also goes to the shore. I have two friends with bachelorette parties this year. Neither are from the Northeast. They have friends here though. Both considered parts of the shore. One is definitely doing it this year. The other chose somewhere else, but was strongly considering a few shore towns.

Also, people love to crap all over NJ for literally every.single.thing. Of course the majority of the US is never going to admit that NJ has anything good.
Yeah and I see plenty of NJ and NY plates down Cape, Newport and North Shore? Thats not a good contest. Recently a lot of NJyans have been moving to MA for jobs.. which is what some of my friends do and then come back and visit family and spend some time down the shore. PA is the most common out of stater from LBI and down, because its the closest beach to them.

No NJ does a good amount of things right, but I cant give you the shore

Old 01-22-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah and I see plenty of NJ and NY plates down Cape, Newport and North Shore? Thats not a good contest. Recently a lot of NJyans have been moving to MA for jobs.. which is what some of my friends do and then come back and visit family and spend some time down the shore. PA is the most common out of stater from LBI and down, because its the closest beach to them.

No NJ does a good amount of things right, but I cant give you the shore
I'm not saying people don't visit other beaches out of their state of residency. But I don't think it's possible to say that every MA plate at the shore in summer is someone back visiting who is originally from here.

Also, I prefer the shore over the beaches you listed. They look pretty and peaceful. But I enjoy the dining and nightlife and boardwalks of shore towns. Even ones without boardwalks but have some fun walkable/bikeable areas right off the beach are nice. I.e. Ventnor City and Margate. But also AC is fun for the nightlife and gambling. Asbury Park has both the boardwalk and a nice downtown.

I fully understand some people like the quieter vibes of the places you mentioned. But plenty of people also like the areas I prefer. I don't think anyone would claim NJ has the best beaches, but the beaches are mostly nice and the fact that you can go for a day trip from two the most important cities in the county is pretty impressive.

I would never say MA beaches are bad. It's a personal preference. I think the only bad beaches are those north of SoCal on the west coast lol. Why have a beach that you can't do anything at? It's too cold to enjoy it. Pointless. But just because you don't enjoy the shore doesn't mean other people won't.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm not saying people don't visit other beaches out of their state of residency. But I don't think it's possible to say that every MA plate at the shore in summer is someone back visiting who is originally from here.

Also, I prefer the shore over the beaches you listed. They look pretty and peaceful. But I enjoy the dining and nightlife and boardwalks of shore towns. Even ones without boardwalks but have some fun walkable/bikeable areas right off the beach are nice. I.e. Ventnor City and Margate. But also AC is fun for the nightlife and gambling. Asbury Park has both the boardwalk and a nice downtown.

I fully understand some people like the quieter vibes of the places you mentioned. But plenty of people also like the areas I prefer. I don't think anyone would claim NJ has the best beaches, but the beaches are mostly nice and the fact that you can go for a day trip from two the most important cities in the county is pretty impressive.

I would never say MA beaches are bad. It's a personal preference. I think the only bad beaches are those north of SoCal on the west coast lol. Why have a beach that you can't do anything at? It's too cold to enjoy it. Pointless. But just because you don't enjoy the shore doesn't mean other people won't.
Yeah its totally person dependent. just wanted to point out at the Mass slam here, that 2-3 beaches always make the top 20 in the country while maybe 1 NJ makes it. Its just my mas shole instinct to defend My biggest gripe about Cape Cod is its turning into a rich man playground with 20-30 million dollar mansion lots.. havent been in about 2 years now becasue its just so expensive.

I agree completely with your points however. If theres nothing at a cold water beach than its pointless. The cold beaches on the Cape I know have great towns like PTown or Marthas Vineyard. But for California, I think its similar to Maine.. more of a scenery thing with cliffs?

Although I dont like Malibu's beaches at all.

My favorite shore town in NJ is Ocean City and Asbury Park tied. Ocean City is probably the best town on the Jersey Shore.. i forgot about that one.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 PM

18,271 posts, read 23,053,758 times
Quote:
Then, why do some many Canadians bypass the so-called beaches in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut in order to vacation in NJ beach towns? Do you really think that those Canadians want to drive a few hundred miles further, every summer, just for the hell of it?

https://www.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/...nue_to_fl.html

Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Then, why do some many Canadians bypass the so-called beaches in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut in order to vacation in NJ beach towns? Do you really think that those Canadians want to drive a few hundred miles further, every summer, just for the hell of it?

https://www.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/...nue_to_fl.html
Because New England beaches are $$$$ to go to. A night at a hotel costs $120 a night in NJ whereas a cottage down Cape costs $300+, a hotel? 400 or more... Just like the Hamptons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey