Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
So..your educated pals are willing to pick corn all day everyday for $10.00/hr? Or work outside in the hot sun all summer long weed wacking... mowing lawns? Send a few my way.. Think they would mind digging holes all day...raking dirt? Lets face it folks - if we lose the immigrant workers, corn will be up to $10.00/ear... getting your lawn mowed by someone else will soon be a thing of the past - between the cost of fuel and now landscapers needing to hire American workers and include benefits!!
The economy will eventually adjust. Just as it has adjusted to the large influx of illegals over the last 20-30 years, it will adjust back again, AND in a positive way. Wages have been stagnant for the middle and lower classes for many years while the upper classes wages have risen exponentially. If we have to pay low and middle class American citizens more money for the same work, that is something I am willing...no...happy to live with. If corn is "$10.00/ear" (a play on your exaggeration) then the people picking it must be doing well enough to afford health insurance and taxes to support their kids in school. When you factor in that illegals dont pay taxes toward their children's education and that they have complete tax-payer provided health care, it pretty much evens out. Higher prices yes, but lower tax burden for the rest of us. Besides, if we find we dont have enough people to do the work, we can always let more people in legally. Some poor guy from Darfur has just as much right to the American dream as an immigrant from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
First of all, in this state, "We Push Back" is more likely to be directed toward the Legislature!

Here's my take on the illegal immigration problem. In plain and simple terms, illegal immigration is just another example of the middle class being screwed from within. These people come here for one reason. Jobs. If no one hired them THEY WOULDN'T COME HERE!!! You can deport them, raid their homes, and arrest them, but as long as there are jobs to be had and money to be made, they will keep coming. Businesses decided long ago that it was better for them to pay slave wages and no benefits to illegal immigrants rather than American workers. As a result the American worker can't possibly compete for low/no skill positions. We've been hit with a double whammy. Corporations large enough to move overseas outsourced practically all manufacturing jobs, and we all know where the computer/phone based jobs have gone/are going. Smaller businesses that couldn't be outsourced (Your local construction company, landscaper, or TGI Fridays can't exactly pick up and move to China or India), began to hire people who were quite simply willing to work for less. Also, I really don't want to hear "But I didn't know they were illegal! They fooled me!" That argument holds about as much water as the loan officer who approved a $500K mortgage for a guy who listed his occupation as "McDonalds Drive-Thru" and his salary as $100K.

I find that the most simple analogy to describe this is to picture a broken flaming natural gas main in the middle of the street. You can spray water on the flame to make it smaller all you want-unless you shut off the gas you're never going to put it out. The supply of jobs NEEDS to be cut off. People that hire these workers need to be fined out of business to send a message to anyone else doing the same. These guys need to suck it up and pay an American worker an American wage, plain and simple.

Some have said in this thread that they don't patronize businesses that employ illegal immigrants. At this point that's about as easy as buying products that are made in the U.S. Just because you go to a restaurant and don't see people with tawny skin in the dining room doesn't mean they aren't there. Likewise, just because there are people of Hispanic descent working there doesn't mean they're illegal either. However, wherever you go, illegal immigrants are there. They wash the dishes, bus the tables, take out the trash, etc... Stayed in a hotel lately? An illegal immigrant likely cleaned your room. Bought any kind of produce that requires picking? Guess who picked it? Did you shop in any kind of store? You can bet that there are one or two there.

Let me be clear and say that I'm not "feeling sorry for them," and I don't advocate allowing this to continue. I advocate what the government is afraid to do-go after the people that hire them. A lot of folks take the angle that this is about preserving U.S. sovereignty, etc...which to me is a lot of jingoistic crap bordering on white supremacist crap. This is about businesses large AND small screwing the American worker.
Bingo, How true. Rep points-JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: