Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

LOL Wiley; I think I may hire you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
I've never seen ground bees this early, Usually August is when I get all the stings. This year I'm thinking of hiring out the lawn just for August. If this dry spell continues, we probably won't have a lawn.
Your rain is coming...sat, sun, mon, tues, wed.... rain all next week : (

Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 AM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Bee Killer!!! Bumbles don't frighten me as much as hornets and wasps - those I could kill..lol - we are swamped with them at the moment and I called an exterminator..and the woman was so honest. She said it was too soon. You should wait until they make their nests otherwise exterminating now will only kill the "workers". Great advice..but what do i do in the meantime?
I've have the same issue right now. My association came out and sprayed for wasps, but it was almost in vain. They came back in full force the next day. I even went as far as to buy some Raid, didn't work very well. Your exterminator is right, we unfortunately have to wait. My old man told me to just run really fast whenever I leave my house. I never said I came from brains.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
LOL Wiley; I think I may hire you!
Here's the funny thing...I am surrounded by farmers or farmer's kids. Everyone has real tractors! They must crack up watching me try to clear a field with my lawn mower..lol : ) I also thought I made great progress... I was up there forever but after the bees chased me out... I only managed to get an area in size of about 50x50. I'm going to give it another try today... I'll let you all know first hand if bumbles bite : ) Or if the fox comes out of her hole and tries to nibble on my leg!!! Typically whenever I mow too close to her den...no matter where she is, she comes running to let me know where her house is : ) I'll leave that area overgrown for her - I love it when she has kittens...they are so cute!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I've have the same issue right now. My association came out and sprayed for wasps, but it was almost in vain. They came back in full force the next day. I even went as far as to buy some Raid, didn't work very well. Your exterminator is right, we unfortunately have to wait. My old man told me to just run really fast whenever I leave my house. I never said I came from brains.
The company I use uses animal / environmentally friendly stuff - last time it lasted well over a year! I may have to call them in early as my pool heater in now a Hive!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM

87 posts, read 388,336 times
I actually had the same exact thing happen to me last summer but i wasnt in the JD tractor i was pushing a lawn mower and i can say that it cought be by suprise and the neighbors got thier moneys worth

Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny8000 View Post
I actually had the same exact thing happen to me last summer but i wasnt in the JD tractor i was pushing a lawn mower and i can say that it cought be by suprise and the neighbors got thier moneys worth
Did you do the "flally arms - knees to chest while running" bee dance?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Do bumbles even bite?
Yes. I was stung about a year ago. Stupid me, I tried to wave the damn bee away, and it got my finger!

It wasn't bad, though. Short-lived mild pain, slight swelling. I remember being stung by yellow jackets when I was a kid -- every summer from walking barefoot in the yard -- and those were painful, and I got very swollen. Part of the reason was probably my higher pain threshold (I was a wimpy, cry-baby kid), but perhaps, too, the BBs' venom is less toxic than the YJs'. Dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey