Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:17 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
The only white trash areas in Monmouth county are Keansburg, North Middletown/West Keansburg, and certain parts of Neptune. Are people honestly suggesting that Marlboro, Freehold, and Colts Neck are made up of white trash types? I used to live in Colts Neck and people of all races there are highly-educated and friendly. Quite honestly Colts Neck didn't have very much Staten Island transplants; most of those people moved to Marlboro/Manalapan. I can see how many italian Staten Island transplants are short-tempered, impatient, and snobby, but that's far from trashy. The average household income for all of the aforementioned towns is $150k and above and many homes are worth over $1.0M, I'm not sure how a "trashy" person could afford to live there. It's obvious that Ocean County has more "trashy" areas than Monmouth.
I agree, that's bizarre. Consider the poster who said it, though. That sort of thing is his shtick here.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, that's bizarre. Consider the poster who said it, though. That sort of thing is his shtick here.
Glorified white trash. I've seen that online before, so perhaps there was once a kernel of truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
The pre-crash housing values of 2008 affected the entire real estate market as a whole and not just certain areas, that's an entire different topic. However, since your speaking about trashy people, there's way more trashy parts and lower income earners in parts of brick and Toms River and way more true low lifes there then anywhere else. If you consider people who reside in wealthy safe and desirable monmouth county towns as "White-trash" obviously they aren't low class enough to be able to afford to live there. You sound very envious and the jealous type. That is extremely rude to say that people in Monmouth County towns do not work hard as most people who live there work in the medical field and other professions that categorize as essential workers. If they didn't work hard the median household incomes in those Monmouth County towns wouldn't be so high. You seem to lack a lot of knowledge about those areas and surrounding towns. If you never lived there before then your input is irrelevant. There's way more traffic in Brick and Tom's River since those area became very congested in recent years since it's so much more affordable to live there for a reason and less desirable in my eyes.
You must live there and drank the "Suburgatory" kool-aid to make a post like this. Median household incomes in those towns are probably higher than Toms River and Brick yes, but not by that much and certainly not any higher than any other central to northen NJ middle to upper middle class towns. Nobody from the left side of the Arthur Kill ever aspires to live in that area apart from the people from there that have this sort of delusional overly inflated attitude about it like it is somehow a step up from Croton or Scarsdale. People like you stay in that area because your little world will crumple in itself when you visit truly wealthy towns like Sands Point or Westfield, Ridgewood or Upper Saddle River. Anyone in NJ that makes enough money to live in a wealthy town works in NYC and anyone who thinks a commute to NYC from that area is reasonable is either smoking crack or needs to have their heads examined. I'm not jealous. I don't keep up with the Joneses. I don't have anything to prove. I don't pretend to be fancy, I work to live to support me and mine to live a comfortable life and deal with the real world around me.

I am so relevant. I went to school around there and know the area well enough. Traffic is every bit as bad as Brick and Toms River or worse, clogging up all those narrow country roads, taking three cycles on average just to get through a light. Route 9 and 35 are parking lots, still only 2 lanes each way with almost all at-grade intersections. The infrastructure there was designed to support 1/4 of its current population. And no mass transit. So go ahead and call the Ocean County towns problematic. If you live in Marlboro, that's the only place you can justify scoffing at, though you probably will at any other place on the face of the Earth just like the average ignorant person there does in their own bubble.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:52 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
The only white trash areas in Monmouth county are Keansburg, North Middletown/West Keansburg, and certain parts of Neptune. Are people honestly suggesting that Marlboro, Freehold, and Colts Neck are made up of white trash types? I used to live in Colts Neck and people of all races there are highly-educated and friendly. Quite honestly Colts Neck didn't have very much Staten Island transplants; most of those people moved to Marlboro/Manalapan. I can see how many italian Staten Island transplants are short-tempered, impatient, and snobby, but that's far from trashy. The average household income for all of the aforementioned towns is $150k and above and many homes are worth over $1.0M, I'm not sure how a "trashy" person could afford to live there. It's obvious that Ocean County has more "trashy" areas than Monmouth.
Glorified White Trash = Blue collar, annoyingly ostentatious, making money like animals to buy things for their kids, spending it all as they earn with no savings.

If they lose their jobs they lose their homes. Plain and simple. Old money is invested more. I know plenty of people who are truly wealthy and you would never know it because they don't feel the need to constantly flaunt it.

They act snobby and come off that way, but many are socially inept too. The area gets the rep for being snobby and is actually the most sigmatized place in NJ in terms of snobbery and lack of merit on its part. And anything with Asbury Park in it really shouldn't be scoffing at anything. Like a piece of Beirut fell out of the sky and somehow landed on a beach - Camden on the ocean.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 06-03-2020 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 01:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post

I am so relevant. I went to school around there and know the area well enough.
LOL,thanks for the laugh.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Glorified White Trash = Blue collar, annoyingly ostentatious, making money like animals to buy things for their kids, spending it all as they earn with no savings.

If they lose their jobs they lose their homes. Plain and simple. Old money is invested more. I know plenty of people who are truly wealthy and you would never know it because they don't feel the need to constantly flaunt it.

They act snobby and come off that way, but many are socially inept too. The area gets the rep for being snobby and is actually the most sigmatized place in NJ in terms of snobbery and lack of merit on its part. And anything with Asbury Park in it really shouldn't be scoffing at anything. Like a piece of Beirut fell out of the sky and somehow landed on a beach - Camden on the ocean.
Your post just verifies your lack of knowledge on the subject which this thread is discussing.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:02 PM

86 posts, read 104,875 times
Quote:

The problem is that you're making unsubstantiated claims. "Glorified White Trash"? Have you seen the median household incomes in these aforementioned towns? While yes, most of Western Monmouth County is more 'newer money', in comparison to the likes of traditionally wealthier suburbs in Northern NJ (such as your Montclairs and Westfields of the world), but that doesn't necessarily ameliorate the fact that many professionals still live there. Bankers, Doctors, Lawyers, etc., how else do you think most of these people would be able to afford those homes in the first place? With many of these homes easily passing the $1 million range?

And don't even get me started on (North) Eastern Monmouth County...... you can forget about it. That area is as 'old money' as it comes. Colts Neck, Lincroft, Rumson, Fair Haven, Highlands, pockets of Middletown, Shrewsbury, Red Bank, and Tinton Falls (among others); all of those towns have a bit of a 'New Englandy'/'North Shore' of Long Island kind of vibe to them. Try telling someone living in the Rumson area that he lives amongst a bunch of 'glorified white trash' types, he/she would surely laugh in your face. Even 'blue collar' towns like Matawan, Hazlet, and Eatontown are still way more desirable than anything deemed 'blue collar' in Ocean County (Toms River/Brick, etc).

I am pretty sure that I mentioned this to you on another thread, but you seem to have a pretty warped view of the state of New Jersey, as a whole, especially given that you haven't lived in the state for several years. Like I said to you before, I reckon that you try and revisit these locations, so that you could get a more accurate picture of how they are actually like. Perhaps some of these negatives stereotypes you've ascribed to Monmouth County were more noticeable 20 years ago, but nonetheless the area has certainly changed. Nobody's forcing you to like Monmouth County or whatever, but at least make some valid criticisms. I will grant you the point on the traffic congestion on major highways in the county (Route 9/35/36, etc.), but outside of that your opinions on the county don't seem to be accurately backed up.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Glorified white trash. I've seen that online before, so perhaps there was once a kernel of truth to it.
I only know Colts Neck as throughbred horse farms and the apple and peach orchard and big houses on large pieces of property, some of them older farmhouses but beautifully maintained. Bruce Springsteen lives there--I suppose there are those who would consider him glorified white trash, LOL. It's a big town in area, so maybe there are parts of it I just haven't seen.

It's hard to picture people who own horses that are worth more than most people's annual salaries as "glorified white trash".

Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM

48 posts, read 27,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
drug use is everyone's right. who cares if other people are using drugs?
I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
"we have to let the government lock us in prison for using drugs or they wont investigate actual crimes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey