Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 05:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
"we have to let the government lock us in prison for using drugs or they wont investigate actual crimes"
link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 05:49 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
I'm not sure why Howell hasn't been mentioned. Especially within a mile of Rte. 9. We moved to Howell 13 years ago to retire and our daughter and grandchildren live here. Houses are reasonably priced, taxes aren't bad, schools are good. Lots of amenities. About 20 minutes or so from the shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel_kel13 View Post
I did begin my post saying I’ve lived in Toms River 25 years, so I’m familiar and well acquainted with Brick, Lakewood, Jackson, Manchester, Bayville, Beachwood, Lakehurst. Thanks tho for letting me know that TR is included in your “isn’t nice” list. I’ve sold real estate for many years and I’ve yet to have anyone say they prefer to look in Brick before Toms River. When people sell in Toms River, most move south to Lacey, Barnegat, or Manahawkin because they want bigger homes and can’t afford the sq footage in Toms River.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:55 PM

86 posts, read 104,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I only know Colts Neck as throughbred horse farms and the apple and peach orchard and big houses on large pieces of property, some of them older farmhouses but beautifully maintained. Bruce Springsteen lives there--I suppose there are those who would consider him glorified white trash, LOL. It's a big town in area, so maybe there are parts of it I just haven't seen.

It's hard to picture people who own horses that are worth more than most people's annual salaries as "glorified white trash".
You're not mistaken. Even the areas in town that are not as wealthy, are generally still nice places to live. The western part of town that borders Freehold/Marlboro ranges from solidly Middle Class to more Upper-Middle Class. While the Northern/Eastern sections of town range from Upper-Middle Class to immensely wealthy. Colts Neck is made up of 'old money', with the high prevalence of thoroughbred estates and orchards being emblematic of that.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm not sure why Howell hasn't been mentioned. Especially within a mile of Rte. 9. We moved to Howell 13 years ago to retire and our daughter and grandchildren live here. Houses are reasonably priced, taxes aren't bad, schools are good. Lots of amenities. About 20 minutes or so from the shore.
Because Howell is in Monmouth County. However, I understand the misconception, to an extent, as to why it tends to get lumped into Ocean County a lot. It does coincide with Ocean County in a way, especially with the Brick/Toms River/Lakewood regions, being relatively more densely populated and traditionally suburban (akin to like Staten Island's 'south shore'). This is particularly true for the southern half of the town, such as Ramtown.

However, drive north up through the 'West Farms' region of town, closer to the reservoir, and the town becomes quite scenic. Forests, rivers, hills, horse farms, farmsteads, etc. There is the nice little village of Adelphia within the northern section of town, roughly about 2 miles east of U.S 9. Farmingdale is also a nice quaint town within Northern Howell, surrounded by agriculture !

Old 06-05-2020, 06:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
We are just a block or so west of Rte 9 and Aldrich in Winston Park in Howell. A mile or so west on Aldrich is Jackson and Ocean County. Brick/Toms River/Lakewood are a good twenty minutes further south of us. Freehold is about 15 minutes north of us. We prefer being here to the more rustic and farmland parts of Howell because we have city water and sewers, so don't have to deal with septic and wells. Also we have a nice 100x150 fenced property backing onto woods. Our three grand kids have gone to Howell elementary, jr. high and high schools. They all have free laptops from the schools.The schools are good and they get school bus service through high school. The real estate prices are probably about $150K less than they would be in Freehold or Manalapan or Marlboro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
Because Howell is in Monmouth County. However, I understand the misconception, to an extent, as to why it tends to get lumped into Ocean County a lot. It does coincide with Ocean County in a way, especially with the Brick/Toms River/Lakewood regions, being relatively more densely populated and traditionally suburban (akin to like Staten Island's 'south shore'). This is particularly true for the southern half of the town, such as Ramtown.

However, drive north up through the 'West Farms' region of town, closer to the reservoir, and the town becomes quite scenic. Forests, rivers, hills, horse farms, farmsteads, etc. There is the nice little village of Adelphia within the northern section of town, roughly about 2 miles east of U.S 9. Farmingdale is also a nice quaint town within Northern Howell, surrounded by agriculture !

Last edited by bobspez; 06-05-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
We are just west of Rte 9 and Aldrich in Winston Park in Howell. A mile or so down Aldrich is Jackson and Ocean County. We prefer being here to the more rustic and farmland parts of Howell because we have city water and sewers, so don't have to deal with septic and wells. Also we have a nice 100x150 fenced property backing onto woods. Our three grandkids have gone to Howell elementary, jr. high and high schools. They all have free laptops from the school.The schools are good and they get school bus service through high school. The real estate prices are probably about $150K less than they would be in Freehold or Manalapan or Marlboro. Brick/Toms River/ Lakewood are a good twenty minutes further south of us.
I know where you're talking about. That particular section of town is very nice. Right around by Aldrich Lake is pretty nice !

Also, just to clarify but on behalf of the Brick/Lakewood/Toms River influence, I was speaking moreso of the Ramtown region of town. Whereas you're more in the center of town, I was speaking moreso of the southeastern section of town that bleeds into Lakewood and Brick, aka Maxim Road/Oak Glen Road regions. That area of town is very close to Lakewood and Brick, with Toms River only being about 15-20 minutes away.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:53 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
I only know Colts Neck as throughbred horse farms and the apple and peach orchard and big houses on large pieces of property, some of them older farmhouses but beautifully maintained. Bruce Springsteen lives there--I suppose there are those who would consider him glorified white trash, LOL. It's a big town in area, so maybe there are parts of it I just haven't seen.

It's hard to picture people who own horses that are worth more than most people's annual salaries as "glorified white trash".
I think that it's more Marlboro, but perhaps a few have have dared to cross the Colts Neck border. Just follow the dump trucks full of brilliant white rock "mulch."

Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 PM

I remember watching this a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QFp0E_CtdU

This old estate in Red Bank was built and owned by the Macy Family in the early 1920s. Modeled after French 'Romanced era' architecture, worth a whopping $10 million. Yep, sooooooooo white trash.

Last edited by hithere_imbored; 06-05-2020 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 10:18 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think that it's more Marlboro, but perhaps a few have have dared to cross the Colts Neck border. Just follow the dump trucks full of brilliant white rock "mulch."
Not sure what that might mean...

Not familiar with Marlboro except that someone I once knew went to rehab there. Other than a red and white pack of cigarettes, that's the only thing I think of when I hear the name.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Not sure what that might mean...

Not familiar with Marlboro except that someone I once knew went to rehab there. Other than a red and white pack of cigarettes, that's the only thing I think of when I hear the name.
AND one of the original Marlboro men was a former NY Giant QB. Charlie Connely

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey