Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
don't confuse italian culture with guido culture, guidos are a lower class urbane type, nothing like true italians who are warm, intelligent hard working people
I really have to emphasize apvbguy's last few words - I had the privilege of seeing an italian like this recently at a charity event. He worked hard, and makes a boatload of cash - and a huge chunk goes to helping people in need. I was incredibly impressed by him.

And he was not a guido in terms of the latest silly craze.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:14 PM

874 posts, read 3,671,439 times
lol...herrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee we go....lol

Old 04-26-2008, 04:37 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,980,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Castello View Post
Try visiting Hammonton, NJ sometime. Hammonton, which borders the Pine Barrens, has the distinction of being the town with the second highest precentage of Italian-American residents per capita in the U.S.

Whether you think being a real Guido is cool or not, it's definitely lame if you're a wannabe Guido.

Hammonton, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for your reply. Who has the distinction of being the town with the HIGHEST percentage of Italian-Americans in the USA?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,933,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
don't confuse italian culture with guido culture, guidos are a lower class urbane type, nothing like true italians who are warm, intelligent hard working people
Glad you posted that. Everyone Italian that I knew in Clifton growing up made fun of the guidos just like the rest of us. We were glad places like Joey's (a club) existed because that would keep the guidos and guidettes basically in one place and we wouldn't have to run into them anywhere else.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Who has the distinction of being the town with the HIGHEST percentage of Italian-Americans in the USA?
unfortunately they are not all in one town. i wish we could segragate them--lol
they are all over--west paterson, totowa, clifton, n haledon, parsippany, fairfield, cliffside park...etc

Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Default New Culture In Nj

I want to thank all those wonderful people, who have helped me understand what this new culture is all about.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Default To Findinghope

You mentioned there is two threads posted for the NJ culture, but I only found this one. Can you help us locate the second one? thanks,

Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,606,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
You mentioned there is two threads posted for the NJ culture, but I only found this one. Can you help us locate the second one? thanks,
are you serious you psted in the original guido one.......geez, too much hairspray maybe?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,015,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGUIDO View Post
Allow to me educate you on the subject. First of all, Guido "culture" is not just a culture, it is an ideology and a philosophy. I think it is one of the coolest "lifestyles" that have come out of the United States in the last 100 years. Obviously, it started with Italian-Americans but it is something that people of all races and ethnicities have started to embrace and the center of Guido culture is probably Essex County,NJ, many other parts of NJ as well as Long Island, Staten Island etc.

Some may thing it is stupid, tacky or idiotic, but I think it is cool. One thing to point out, Guido culture is not a fad, it is a culture that started maybe 100 years ago as Italian started coming to the USA. The culture went through many phases, the then the 70's (John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever), the 80's- IROC's and all that, now we are seeing 3rd-4th generation.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it is not a culture that promotes gang, violence or anything. Most guidos grow up to be very succesful, hard-working, law abiding citizens. I think it gives the Tri-State area a very interesting subculture. As you can see, the initial thread had more than 280 responses. Everybody wants to see what being a Guido is all about.
hahahahaha i was wondering when our resident guido expert would weigh in on the matter.

speaking of guido-heavy areas, how about the meadowlands towns of southern bergen county? TONS of guidos there when i was a kid in the '80s. back then any self-respecting guido had moussed/gelled spiked hair, a mullet or "tail" in the back, and cavaricci "parachute" pants.

i recall being ridiculed by some of my guido classmates for being too square to spike my hair or grow a mullet or tail.

ah, those were the days. nothing like growing up in north jersey.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,435,785 times
marye711 Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77

are you serious you psted in the original guido one.......geez, too much hairspray maybe?

that settles it--Rubies77 must be a guidette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey