U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
357 posts, read 103,232 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

I used to think that counties and municipalities should merge too; at this point it would probably take more resources to break them up and refashion everything. It probably should be done, but how do you do it....as far as individual municipalities goes, Newark and Elizabeth should always stand alone, Kearny and Harrison could definitely be part of Newark though, there could only be 2 oranges, East Orange and West Orange, places such as Woodbridge and Rahway could merge, Roselle and Roselle park, Hillside could either be in Irvington or Union, take your pick. Linden could be in Elizabeth, South Plainfield and Piscataway could be one in the same, definitely Clifton and Passaic could combine, these are just a few that come to mind...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2020, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Levittown
908 posts, read 954,561 times
Reputation: 588
Sussex is the most beautiful county in the state. Worlds apart from the rest with its rolling hills and mountains and stunning views at High Point. More like Upstate NY than anything in Jersey. That aside I always felt it was in the middle of nowhere and relatively difficult to get to. I often felt when visiting there that I might as well go up into New York and see more of the same.

Middlesex County was nice enough on the whole and is quite manageable, and very conveniently located to tons of amenities as another person said, equidistant between NYC and Philly and numerous other places. Didn't like Sayreville or Old Bridge. Route 9 below the Raritan River is a sort of mutant corridor full of displaced SI'ers who think their crap doesn't stink these days. And Edison was too crowded as is Woodbridge though the trade off in that immediate area is everything you would need is there. I liked North Brunswick, and the other Brunswicks seem really nice too. New Brunswick is probably the most vibrant destination down in all of what is considered "central" NJ. It is a college town because of Rutgers, but there is always a lot to do there. Monroe is similar to the other Brunswicks, but a little more McMansion sprawl and Jamesburg looks like it's seen better days at this point. Cranbury is probably one of the greatest towns in the state, on par with Moorestown in South Jersey, but it's like a suburb of Princeton. If I had to live in that area again, Metuchen and Highland Park have a lot of draw to me personally, but you don't want to deal with their police. Close second in this area would be Union County, which includes beautifully bucolic towns like Scotch Plains and Berkeley Heights, and of course Westfield, but it gets much more gritty as you get closer to Elizabeth.

In South Jersey, Burlington and some of Camden Counties I find appealing too. I like Bordentown and Florence-Roeling, which have some nice character. Riverton is beautiful, almost like a mini-Haddonfield. Cherry Hill and Voorhees are nice too, but similar to the Brunswicks. Haddonfield is similar to Metuchen and Highland Park, but Collingswood is also neat and a lot less ritzy. Then you have Westmont between them where most bars are since Haddonfield and C'wood are both dry. Barrington too is an often overlooked place similar to Collingwood, but further out and thus many would find it less desirable to get into Philly. Wasn't the worst place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 02:16 PM
 
103 posts, read 104,847 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
I used to think that counties and municipalities should merge too; at this point it would probably take more resources to break them up and refashion everything. It probably should be done, but how do you do it....as far as individual municipalities goes, Newark and Elizabeth should always stand alone, Kearny and Harrison could definitely be part of Newark though, there could only be 2 oranges, East Orange and West Orange, places such as Woodbridge and Rahway could merge, Roselle and Roselle park, Hillside could either be in Irvington or Union, take your pick. Linden could be in Elizabeth, South Plainfield and Piscataway could be one in the same, definitely Clifton and Passaic could combine, these are just a few that come to mind...
Newark, Kearny, E Newark, Harrison, Belleville, Nutley, Irvington could be a city in itself.


Orange, East Orange, West Orange, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Montclair, Verona, Cedar Grove could all become "Orange"


Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, North Bergen, Guttenberg, Weehawken, Bayonne could all become Jersey City.


Passaic and Clifton


Paterson could merge its tiny neighboring towns like Hawthorne, Prospect Park, Haledon, North Haledon


Elizabeth, Linden, Rahway, Roselle, Roselle Park, Hillside and even Union


Trenton and Ewing could merge and the push could be made to expand Trenton airport. hell, even Hamiltonians identify themselves as being from Trenton, make it official.


Hackensack and all weird tiny towns around it extending to the airport could be merge together and again, the airport could expand its services.


Fort Lee could merge with Cliffside Park, Edgewater, Palisades Park and Fairview and you'd already have a city there with a decent skyline.


just throwing idea darts out there. these towns are all densely packed and all bleed together as it is yet they pretend they are separate small towns with their own judges, clerks, super intendants and other various municipal offices.


when its time to replace a police car or road sign, they can change the names around then. until then it'd just be a transitional merging of services until old jobs are phased out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Levittown
908 posts, read 954,561 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Newark, Kearny, E Newark, Harrison, Belleville, Nutley, Irvington could be a city in itself.


Orange, East Orange, West Orange, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Montclair, Verona, Cedar Grove could all become "Orange"


Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, North Bergen, Guttenberg, Weehawken, Bayonne could all become Jersey City.


Passaic and Clifton


Paterson could merge its tiny neighboring towns like Hawthorne, Prospect Park, Haledon, North Haledon


Elizabeth, Linden, Rahway, Roselle, Roselle Park, Hillside and even Union


Trenton and Ewing could merge and the push could be made to expand Trenton airport. hell, even Hamiltonians identify themselves as being from Trenton, make it official.


Hackensack and all weird tiny towns around it extending to the airport could be merge together and again, the airport could expand its services.


Fort Lee could merge with Cliffside Park, Edgewater, Palisades Park and Fairview and you'd already have a city there with a decent skyline.


just throwing idea darts out there. these towns are all densely packed and all bleed together as it is yet they pretend they are separate small towns with their own judges, clerks, super intendants and other various municipal offices.


when its time to replace a police car or road sign, they can change the names around then. until then it'd just be a transitional merging of services until old jobs are phased out.
Sounds pretty good, but I think by and large this will never happen. My sister lives in West Orange - near the Orange border - and I know for a fact they never would have considered East Orange. A realtor showed them an apartment in East Orange that was supposedly decent and they felt too uncomfortable just because of the rep EO gets.

My cousin just got a place in Union, after being born and raised in Brooklyn and living there for 35 years. Apartments by Kean. If that immediate area was part of Elizabeth I doubt they would have taken the place. He lived in Bensonhurst, Gravesend and then Bay Ridge. Says he likes NJ but I don't know. I for one would much rather live in Bay Ridge than Union.

Hamilton, Ewing and Lawrenceville are all served by Trenton post offices, and they all have border problems with "spillover" effects. Problem is people in the more well-to-do parts of these towns will fight tooth and nail to keep that from ever happening. So will the people in the more well to do areas of West Orange, Upper Montclair, Glen Ridge, the north side of Bloomfield etc. I wonder who lives in the 7 Oaks section of Orange these days. Did you ever hear the story about them wanting to build a wall between Irvington and Maplewood?

Living in PA where town names are much more coexistent with zip code tabulation areas than actual township lines - townships in Bucks County are essentially just county subdivisions, my township for one has no mayor - I can very well see how this can run much more efficiently with towns lacking distinct corporate limits. However, perception is a very powerful thing, which is the very reason my sister stayed away from East Orange regardless of how decent the place itself might have been.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 PM
 
103 posts, read 104,847 times
Reputation: 151
At the end of the day, your sister lives near East Orange. Whether it’s the same city or two separate municipalities, it won’t make much a difference. She still lives near a high crime, dilapidated area.

Every major city is typically 50+ sq miles with good parts, great parts, bad parts. In my fictitious “Orange” Montclair would also merge, a fair trade for also merging with East Orange. My fictitious Orange is now a 35+ square mile city.

NJ should carve out its own geographically dominant, large cities.

The city of Tampa when you leave the downtown it basically looks like East Brunswick, NJ sprawled out around a cluster of high rises, not all that urban. It’s still a major city with ups and downs depending where you are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Levittown
908 posts, read 954,561 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
At the end of the day, your sister lives near East Orange. Whether it’s the same city or two separate municipalities, it won’t make much a difference. She still lives near a high crime, dilapidated area.

Every major city is typically 50+ sq miles with good parts, great parts, bad parts. In my fictitious “Orange” Montclair would also merge, a fair trade for also merging with East Orange. My fictitious Orange is now a 35+ square mile city.

NJ should carve out its own geographically dominant, large cities.

The city of Tampa when you leave the downtown it basically looks like East Brunswick, NJ sprawled out around a cluster of high rises, not all that urban. It’s still a major city with ups and downs depending where you are.
No I completely get it. But if I think if it were that way from the start a lot of people would have a very different attitude. Like I said, perception is a very powerful thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 03:32 PM
 
198 posts, read 92,755 times
Reputation: 306
Nice parts of Hudson and lower Bergen County are my pick if I were a few years younger and didn't have kids. Young urban professionals and a nice vibrant atmosphere full of energy and easy transportation to the city.

For family life probably my pick would be somewhere in Central NJ where you get a safe peaceful neighborhood, good backyard size, good schools and still convenient for stores like Home Depot, Walmart and Costco. Many towns fit this bill in Somerset and Middlesex County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Reston, Virginia
175 posts, read 225,693 times
Reputation: 322
Huntingdon. Probably the most scenic, and the most rural.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 PM
 
18,281 posts, read 23,053,758 times
Reputation: 24355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Many towns fit this bill in Somerset.
Damn!
I was hoping that nobody would mention Somerset County. We don't really need any more interlopers in this beautiful county.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Levittown
908 posts, read 954,561 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
Huntingdon. Probably the most scenic, and the most rural.
You mean Hunterdon. Yes. Especially along the Delaware River. Lambertville is like an extension of New Hope, and you have several other towns like this along the river like Stockton, Frenchtown etc. Very quaint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top