U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 PM

28,465 posts, read 27,247,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShateeeee View Post
Haddon Township is also!
Really? It sounds plausible but I don't pay attention to those things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 AM

4,304 posts, read 3,746,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The Men who ran / worked at Roots new my Mother so well that we were aloud to walk in there and get what we needed and they would call after word and tell my parents what I got ,there were times I when in for a shirt or something and they said no,.......your Mom wouldn't approve.
What prep school did you attend?

Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM

15,948 posts, read 19,221,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Isn't that a good question!

Old 06-28-2020, 10:34 AM

70 posts, read 43,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I grew up in West Essex, and most of those towns you mentioned have been predominantly Catholic, for as long as I remember. If you look at a phone book from Verona or The Caldwells, you will find most of the names end in a vowel. Even Essex Fells, which I consider the most WASPY of them all, is still significantly Catholic. And Montclair is one of the most diverse towns in the entire country. I have no doubt they were all WASPY at one time in history, but not in the 51 years that I have been alive.
These are some good points. It is important for me to reiterate that these towns gave me a 'Waspy-like' feel, but not that they were necessarily still WASPY in demographics. Although from what I could gather, it wasn't that long ago (like 40-50 years ago) when those aforementioned towns in Western Essex still had a considerable amount of actual WASPS that were living there.

I talked to old-timers that lived in the area and they seemed to have confirmed that. Like much of New Jersey (and the Northeast/New England as a whole) due to recent waves of immigration and migration of people from other parts of the state (and even the country), genuine WASPS aren't as prominent as they once were. Residue of their cultural influence is still present though; New England, Upper East Side in Manhattan, North Shore/East End of Long Island, sections of North Jersey, the Jersey Shore, etc, come to mind.

I would direct you to these two comments that were made after me on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I don’t think NJ hardly has any true “WASPy” towns, especially compared to New England. NJ has more of the gaudy “Real Housewives of New Jersey” new-money type, LOL. Some towns I believe have a “WASPy” feel (whether the residents are majority WASPs or not) include:

Saddle River
Ridgewood
Westfield
Princeton
Essex Fells
Basking Ridge
Peapack-Gladstone
Far Hills
Colts Neck
Rumson
Haddonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
That list is very accurate, I’d add Harding/New Vernon.

I agree “WASPy” is more feel thing than ethnicity (large homes on land, preppy clothes, certain sports, etc). Your average trailer park probably has a higher percentage of WASPs than these towns, but I wouldn’t call it WASPy. I’d also say there are Catholic, Asian, and Jewish people who are WASPy in characteristics, especially as people intermarry.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:39 AM

16,644 posts, read 6,587,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
[color="Red"]..doesn't matter.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:50 AM

70 posts, read 43,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I wouldn't consider ANYTHING in Monmouth County to be remotely WASPy. Sure a lot of it is white, but essentially 50/50 Italian/Jewish for the most part with VERY few exceptions.

WASP stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant which is neither Italian nor Jewish, nor is it Irish, German, Polish etc. Anglo Saxon means English ancestry. Again, the closest thing I have seen to this anywhere in NJ is Milltown.
Dude, you're straight up just trolling. Nothing in Monmouth County is remotely WASPy to you, but Milltown is

I grew up closeby to Milltown, it's a nice working-class town nestled right next to the Raritan River. But how is it anymore WASPy than ANYTHING in Monmouth? Ethnically and especially culturally? Like comparing Milltown to towns like Colts Neck, Shrewsbury, Fair Haven, or Rumson? I'm genuinely confused right now.

Milltown is about on par, I would say, with a town like Englishtown, in fact they seem to resemble each other a lot aesthetically and they're pretty closeby. Englishtown had WASPy roots, as Scottish and English Presbyterians primarily settled here in the mid 17th century (the Tennent Church is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in the country). That seemed to had been the case for much of Middlesex & Monmouth counties post 1664. If that's the case, then Milltown would of maybe had some WASP roots, but, like Englishtown, would had overall had those influences diluted over the years, rather considerably. That is simply not the case for a lot of towns around the Raritan Bay/Navesink River region; Perth Amboy, Woodbridge, Shrewsbury, Red Bank, etc., as those areas seemed to had retain much more of their 'Anglanized' past.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:08 PM

977 posts, read 859,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShateeeee View Post
Haddon Township is also!
That is an odd one. I kind of agree with the sentiment that a few others have expressed here that WASP is almost like a cultural feel as much as it is just strictly a demographic indicator. That is, there is an upper class socioeconomic status associated with it. It is really another form of being “preppy” and one could be Irish Catholic, Reform Jewish, German ancestry, Hungarian ancestry, Italian ancestry, etc. and act WASPy. I think of things like preppy clothing, sailing, horseback riding, etc. And so while Haddon Township may be very White (how much of it is Anglo Saxon Protestant though, I do not know for sure), it is not an upper class, privileged town. It is more of a straight up middle class town. While I would say Haddonfield is WASPy, and Haddon Heights as well to an extent, Haddon Township not so much.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 AM

719 posts, read 132,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
That is an odd one. I kind of agree with the sentiment that a few others have expressed here that WASP is almost like a cultural feel as much as it is just strictly a demographic indicator. That is, there is an upper class socioeconomic status associated with it. It is really another form of being “preppy” and one could be Irish Catholic, Reform Jewish, German ancestry, Hungarian ancestry, Italian ancestry, etc. and act WASPy. I think of things like preppy clothing, sailing, horseback riding, etc.
I know second generation Asians, Ivy League school educated, chose to buy a house in Haddonfield and pretty much fall in that category as well. But they are a minority.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:55 AM

14,269 posts, read 11,605,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
That is an odd one. I kind of agree with the sentiment that a few others have expressed here that WASP is almost like a cultural feel as much as it is just strictly a demographic indicator. That is, there is an upper class socioeconomic status associated with it. It is really another form of being “preppy” and one could be Irish Catholic, Reform Jewish, German ancestry, Hungarian ancestry, Italian ancestry, etc. and act WASPy. I think of things like preppy clothing, sailing, horseback riding, etc. And so while Haddon Township may be very White (how much of it is Anglo Saxon Protestant though, I do not know for sure), it is not an upper class, privileged town. It is more of a straight up middle class town. While I would say Haddonfield is WASPy, and Haddon Heights as well to an extent, Haddon Township not so much.
I guess that makes me a "WASPY" Jew then. I will be extra careful to use the correct fork at dinner from now on. FWIW, Ralph Lauren is a Jew from The Bronx.

But I do understand what you are talking about. I have played golf at many WASP country clubs and many Jewish country clubs, and the members of both, act and dress pretty much the same, with only one noticeable difference. The Jewish clubs tend to have better food, while the WASP clubs tend to have a better bar. I remember a while back, a friend invited me to play at his "super blue blood" club, and the first thing he said to me is "Don't order water or they will know that you are Jewish."

So we got 2 single malt scotches. It was 10AM.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:24 PM

371 posts, read 443,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I guess that makes me a "WASPY" Jew then. I will be extra careful to use the correct fork at dinner from now on. FWIW, Ralph Lauren is a Jew from The Bronx.
You can absolutely be a WASPy Jew but probably not a WASP Jew. There are WASPy people of all backgrounds. I’m white, Protestant (if religious at all)but have some Italian heritage with the Anglo Saxon, not sure if I even count as a WASP...I think so, unless WASPs have some kind of one drop rule, haha. FYI, Ralph Lauren still got his start at Brooks Brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or