U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM

9,443 posts, read 3,558,553 times

Advertisements

Please report back on your vacation. Love you enthusiasm. We can vicariously enjoy your time at the beach. Crossed fingers for good weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 02:35 PM

81,764 posts, read 75,280,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
Years ago my husband and I moved there. We chose Keansburg because we had a very tight budget at the time and he was doing his infectious-disease fellowship at St. Michael's Hosp. in Newark, NJ (another fun place).

I can tell you that Keansburg doesn't have a great reputation. While we lived there we found the locals to be very nice and "salt of the earth" as some might describe them.

The "beach" was walkable from our house -- a single story brick bungalow about four blocks from the bay beach.
The beach has sand that isn't really the sand you see at a typical ocean beach. It had a course texture to it and is more of a beige color than white.

The boardwalk wasn't the type of boardwalk we were accustomed to, such as the one in Ocean City, which is a clean, busy, busy boardwalk.

While we lived in Keansburg we had our first child and I would drive over to Sea Bright to their beach -- or sometimes Long Branch which had a playground right on the beach. Sea Bright was 15 minutes away by car. There may be a bus that goes down Rt. 35 straight to Sea Bright; I don't recall.

We only lived there two years, but when we sold our house we made a more-than-decent profit. Apparently the place held appeal for some people. (There'd been talk of a ferry that went straight from the Keansburg area to Staten Island, NY, so that might have been part of the reason).

Last of all, I think your little vacation will be about as good as you make it. Have fun!
HA! I go there regularly. Endocrinologists are hard to find, and I was willing to deal with Newark because of him. I also stayed there for a planned thyroidectomy, which was aborted during the surgery when they found it couldn't be safely removed.

It's a teaching hospital, so I had several students come around and ask if they could feel my neck. My condition was rare and they had never seen anything like it. (My doctor forwarded a paper that was presented about my thyroid earlier this year. I'm famous! It was reportedly the most interesting of the ten presented at this year's thyroid convention.)

I'm OK with St. Michael's. I have to return regularly for scans and biopsies, and I've always found everyone to be friendly and competent, but it's not everyone's first choice of a hospital. Or a neighborhood.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 38,391,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HA! I go there regularly. Endocrinologists are hard to find, and I was willing to deal with Newark because of him. I also stayed there for a planned thyroidectomy, which was aborted during the surgery when they found it couldn't be safely removed.

It's a teaching hospital, so I had several students come around and ask if they could feel my neck. My condition was rare and they had never seen anything like it. (My doctor forwarded a paper that was presented about my thyroid earlier this year. I'm famous! It was reportedly the most interesting of the ten presented at this year's thyroid convention.)

I'm OK with St. Michael's. I have to return regularly for scans and biopsies, and I've always found everyone to be friendly and competent, but it's not everyone's first choice of a hospital. Or a neighborhood.
congratulations!!

Old 06-19-2020, 03:15 PM

2,693 posts, read 5,818,686 times
What bus will you be taking from Manhattan? Keansburg is a bay beach and the bay is very pretty. I don't love swimming in the bay, but lots of families in this area prefer the bay to swim in with small children. So there are lots of people using the bay beaches - it is not that strange! There are also tons of families from outside of Keansburg that go to the boardwalk all summer long for the rides and games. The waterpark is great, but I don't know if that will be opening. I wouldn't pull up stakes and move to Keansburg, but there's no reason to be down on it as a destination!

There is no Lidl in Keansburg though. There's one in Hazlet, but public transportation is basically non existent. Do you have some Uber money in your budget?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
congratulations!!
LOL. Actually, it doesn't identify me, so it's more appropriate to say my thyroid is famous.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
LOL. Actually, it doesn't identify me, so it's more appropriate to say my thyroid is famous.
you are living the dream!

Old 06-20-2020, 09:51 AM

5,152 posts, read 4,213,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
What bus will you be taking from Manhattan? Keansburg is a bay beach and the bay is very pretty. I don't love swimming in the bay, but lots of families in this area prefer the bay to swim in with small children. So there are lots of people using the bay beaches - it is not that strange! There are also tons of families from outside of Keansburg that go to the boardwalk all summer long for the rides and games. The waterpark is great, but I don't know if that will be opening. I wouldn't pull up stakes and move to Keansburg, but there's no reason to be down on it as a destination!

There is no Lidl in Keansburg though. There's one in Hazlet, but public transportation is basically non existent. Do you have some Uber money in your budget?
Yes! With how cheap this accommodation is, I have $400 left in my budget, so I don't mind taking Lyft/Uber. I plan on taking Lyft to some other destinations too.

When I mapped it, I could take Amtrak to Penn Station, then from Penn Station I can take the NJ Coastal Train to South Amboy, then from South Amboy I could take the 817 bus to my location, then it's a two minute walk to the house.

My friend lives in South Amboy; maybe I could see if he wants to meet up for lunch. I think he's feeling salty that I didn't book in Asbury Park because that's mostly where he hangs out, but what he was proposing, the pictures didn't look too nice and for $170/night, no. He's a fairweather friend and for two years he blew me off when I was in Asbury Park. He changed plans so rapidly and I didn't want to wait around for him to negotiate prices. I wanted to book before there were no bookings left. Not only that, but being blown off for two years...

Old 06-20-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are living the dream!
Wanna see before and after pictures of my neck?

Just kidding. I know you're a married man...

Old 06-20-2020, 09:55 AM

5,152 posts, read 4,213,624 times
Quote:

As someone with hypothyroidism, I'm always interested! Mom has Hashimoto's and they're always testing her goiters for cancer. I've been proactive myself.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:

im not a hasidic joo, i can see necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey