U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 PM

20 posts, read 32,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Great town. If the illegals leave it will be even better. Maybe in this economy they will.
Your wrong, it would not be better. They do nothing wrong here to make it worse. They do not bother anyone. They may hang out on the streets in front of stores, but they are doing no harm. They are just talking to friends, drinking coffee. I am there all the time talking to them. In the mornings there are many looking for work at the train station, but most of these are not illegal. The majority of these day laborers are legal. And even the illegal ones are very nice, clean, respectful people.
They do wrong here, and DO NOT bring down the "quality of life" of this or any other town.
Have some done wrong? committed crimes? yes, but so has americans. That has nothing to do with their nationality, or even being here. The people that commit crimes are just ignorant people.
There are many "illegals" here that are very clean, decent, hard working people.
They do not bother you, so stop talking bad about them.
They do want to learn English
They do want to speak English.
If they could be legal, they would be more than happy to be legal right now.
They do not make morristown dirty, or scum. They help keep it clean, and are alot cleaner than some of the bums I have seen urinating in broad daylight in the middle of the green!.
2 weeks ago, I saw a white guy, maybe in his 40's, urinating on the wall outside of hennesseys bar around 1 in the afternoon! horrible.
Morristown is now a safe, clean town. It was a little more dangerous about 10 years ago. It was dangerous to walk on the street at night.
Now it has changed for the better. I have gone for a walk at 10 p.m. and even at 3 a.m., with no problem. The most dangerous area of morristown was MLK blvd. That has even changed. There is almost no crime and no problems anymore around there. There used to be theft, muggings, shootings on that street all the time. No more. You can walk there at night now, as I have, and it is safe.

Yes, Morristown has changed. FOR THE BETTER! AND THE HISPANICS ARE HELPING THE WAY TO A BETTER MORRISTOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,081,623 times
Oh yes all areas of Morristown are just peachy to walk around. It's 10pm and I think I may take my kids for a stroll around MLK since it's so super safe.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,686,280 times
Morristown is a fabulous town, and always has been. I'm shocked that anyone thinks otherwise.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM

17,398 posts, read 13,636,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Years ago, about ohh God, im getting old but Morristown was never so fancy and crowded!!! This is a good example of a city that basically turned itsself around for the better. Yes its crowded, but I did not see half of the sleazy stuff I used to see years and years ago. Actually its a pretty nice area now!! I actually enjoyed myself today in Morristown without drugs or alcohol!!!!!
life without drugs and alcohol is overrated. the only way to make it tolerable is lots and lots of anonymous banging.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,833,712 times
The wife and I were looking around MT when we were thinking of moving because of the train stops that were there. Most of the places around the town center were either very expensive, or just plain expensive poop-holes (Major dives/condemned structures).

We noticed the "wrong side of the tracks" think at one of the train stations. I believe up near a supermarket whose name eludes me. It was very weird seeing that quick a change from Gentrification to Illigal working class and Welfare State.

It is like Hoboken. You go south and out west a bit into the flood zone and you are in Cuba/Puerto Rico. It wouldn't be THAT bad if there werent those groups of people just standing around doing nothing. You get that many idle bodies........anyway.

It is a shame that any kind of fixing up of a town does not seem to elevate all of it, but only push it up and out of the reach of most people in the middle, leaving the well-off, and those who are provided by the state. And, unfortunately, they are not very well mixed (all the projects are clustered. Who the hell thought that was a good idea in city planning??!?)

Ah well....

Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Oh yes all areas of Morristown are just peachy to walk around. It's 10pm and I think I may take my kids for a stroll around MLK since it's so super safe.
Yes, all areas of Morristown are safe and "PEACHY", and no town in the country is safe to bring your kids for a walk at 10 p.m. If they are under 15 they should be in bed by 9 or 10 p.m. anyway.

10 years ago, it was very UNSAFE to walk around MLK at night. well, things have changed. They have installed very bright street lights all the way up MLK, and Morristown Police do a great job of patrolling the area.

So, Morristown is an overall safe town to live in, and YES, IT IS SAFE TO WALK AROUND. MLK, IS now safer to walk. I have parked my car on Abbott ave, and went for a walk to the dd on lackawanna, past the train station, past burger king, down spring street, to water street, (which is dark, and not well lit), to MLK, and up MLK back to Abbott, which is a great walk!. and have done it at 2 a.m. have walked that walk many times, and no problems at all, nor so any danger.
And I am a white, regular sized guy, Don't drink, or do drugs. and would report any kind of drug use/sale to the police immediately.

You do have to watch your back of course, because as in ANY TOWN IN THE COUNTRY, their is crime, and crime can happen.
but overall, Morristown is safer than it has ever been.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
The wife and I were looking around MT when we were thinking of moving because of the train stops that were there. Most of the places around the town center were either very expensive, or just plain expensive poop-holes (Major dives/condemned structures).

We noticed the "wrong side of the tracks" think at one of the train stations. I believe up near a supermarket whose name eludes me. It was very weird seeing that quick a change from Gentrification to Illigal working class and Welfare State.

It is like Hoboken. You go south and out west a bit into the flood zone and you are in Cuba/Puerto Rico. It wouldn't be THAT bad if there werent those groups of people just standing around doing nothing. You get that many idle bodies........anyway.

It is a shame that any kind of fixing up of a town does not seem to elevate all of it, but only push it up and out of the reach of most people in the middle, leaving the well-off, and those who are provided by the state. And, unfortunately, they are not very well mixed (all the projects are clustered. Who the hell thought that was a good idea in city planning??!?)

Ah well....
First, there is ONLY "1" "ONE" TRAIN STATION IN Morristown! There is No supermarket near the train station. There are expensive apartments and houses in Morristown, and some may not look good, but "don't judge a book by it's cover". They are ugly because most are old, and are very old houses, (built in the 1800's) and most are very beautiful on the inside.
In New Jersey there is no such thing as an "illegal working classs". On the New Jersey dept of Labor webite, (and I have called to verify) it states that in N.J. it is not illegal to hire anyone, even if they do not have legal papers or are illegal in this country. They said that is only an immigration issue, and anyone that wants to work, may be hired as long as they are able to perform the work to be done. Must be paid N.J. min wage ($7.15 hour) and paid over time for any hours over 40.

The day laborers and/or illegals (not all day laborers are illegal) do not bother anyone. They stand on the streets, talk to each other, have coffee, and that is all. Never do they bother or harass anyone.

Because there are other nationalities other than white and/or american in the area, and standing on the street, does not what so ever make the town a dangerous town, unsafe, unclean, and DOES NOT BRING DOWN THE QUALITY OF LIFE OR THE PROPERTY VALUES. THAT IS ALL BULL C**P AND JUST A MYTH.

Morristown is a great clean, safe, town. It has a great culture mix and that MAKES MORRISTOWN A GREAT PLACE.!!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,833,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69njhome View Post
First, there is ONLY "1" "ONE" TRAIN STATION IN Morristown! There is No supermarket near the train station. There are expensive apartments and houses in Morristown, and some may not look good, but "don't judge a book by it's cover". They are ugly because most are old, and are very old houses, (built in the 1800's) and most are very beautiful on the inside.
I will have to look. The station might not be considered "officially" in MT, or I might be thinking of another place... Montclair comes to mind!!

Quote:
In New Jersey there is no such thing as an "illegal working class". On the New Jersey dept of Labor website, (and I have called to verify) it states that in N.J. it is not illegal to hire anyone, even if they do not have legal papers or are illegal in this country. They said that is only an immigration issue, and anyone that wants to work, may be hired as long as they are able to perform the work to be done. Must be paid N.J. min wage ($7.15 hour) and paid over time for any hours over 40.
Is it legal for them to be in the US?

If not, they are "Illegals" to start with, regardless of who hires them and what they are supposed to be paid.

Second, what makes you think everybody pays these people what the law says? If the pay is off the books and out of someone's back pocket, it is awfully difficult to prove (without some advanced planning) that they are doing this.

So my addressing of the individuals as "illegal working class" is not meant as an insult to the individuals, but a strait-forward description of what they are.

Quote:
The day laborers and/or illegals (not all day laborers are illegal) do not bother anyone. They stand on the streets, talk to each other, have coffee, and that is all. Never do they bother or harass anyone.
That I know. It usually takes a generation or two for the offspring to either work their way OUT of that situation, or learn from others around them that doing nothing gets them almost as much as working their butts off.

Aside from different cultural propensities, 1st generationers/illegals are some of the hardest workers in the US (from any nation). Cleanliness, however, varies from province to province (and individual to individual as well).

Quote:
Because there are other nationalities other than white and/or american in the area, and standing on the street, does not what so ever make the town a dangerous town, unsafe, unclean, and DOES NOT BRING DOWN THE QUALITY OF LIFE OR THE PROPERTY VALUES. THAT IS ALL BULL C**P AND JUST A MYTH.
Um, excuse me, get off your racial defamation high horse and come back to earth. he places I have driven through in NJ have some pretty consistent characteristics. The ones where people walk around and the streets are full are either the business, social or commerce centers of town. Hoboken has people walking around all day. Not many sit on Washington Street and do nothing. (not even talking to others, just nothing).

Other neighborhoods are lucky to see ANYONE walking around. They are either industrial/warehouse districts that are closed on weekends/after 5 (like near Varick Avenue in Queens) or they are simply suburban and few people walk in the suburbs!!!

Now, this other kind of crowded street, with most people sitting on the surrounding walls outside the housing projects, or out on the street corner, after typical pick-up hours (say 3 pm?) wearing rather deliberately dreg-like clothing are NOT the industrious day laborers I have mentioned and you have sited.

The guys I am referring to are ones that seem to have this space around them, only a few feet, and they hang out in one spot because there is just nothing else to do. They don't want to be inside, they have nowhere to go outside, and they are not in the mood to mix (or are maybe waiting for someone).

These areas have the biggest problems when it comes to hostilities. A lot of times is is not even the people that are hanging out that are the problem, but they are just an indication of a large amount of poor people in an area with nothing constructive to do.

When you leave a group of people, no matter what race creed or color, in a poor neighborhood long enough with nothing to do, things start happening. "Idle hands are the devils tools" was not something I came up with.

Quote:
Morristown is a great clean, safe, town. It has a great culture mix and that MAKES MORRISTOWN A GREAT PLACE.!!
Stop shouting. You make it seem like people are calling the whole place Hell with a Starbucks.

I apologize for mistaking one town for another (the descriptions seemed familiar). Also, please don't patronize me on the architecture. An ugly beat up house could be Trump Plaza on the inside, it is still ugly on the outside. Also, when looking at a house with skewed doorways, sagging porches, peeling paint, poor roofs and in some cases boarded up windows, there is no way being built in 1800 makes up for the state of disrepair.

It means they CAN be fixed, but that can cost significant $$ if you want to do it right... (I still remember Tom Hanks in money pit... )

So, anyway. I guess I have to go and take a look now!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM

5,308 posts, read 9,145,067 times
I like Morristown, however I have not seen this bad area that people refer too. I only see the nice parts so maybe thats why I like it. TO me it looks nice. Am I missing something?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM

5,308 posts, read 9,145,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Years ago, about ohh God, im getting old but Morristown was never so fancy and crowded!!! This is a good example of a city that basically turned itsself around for the better. Yes its crowded, but I did not see half of the sleazy stuff I used to see years and years ago. Actually its a pretty nice area now!! I actually enjoyed myself today in Morristown without drugs or alcohol!!!!!
I still feel this way as I first posted it. I actually see the illegal area near Morris Plains less littered than where the Hillbillies are in my area. My first statement I still stand by, it has changed for the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey