U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,817,270 times
First of all, there is a supermarket near the train station. It is the natural food supermarket behind the station.

Also, SteveMorse, I lived in Morristown about 4 years ago, for about 4 years. There were some not so nice areas for sure I guess it is west of the green,(I think) but I don't know how dangerous they were. I drove around there on several occasions and while it was not very pretty, I didn't feel unsafe. I think most of the really bad parts have been cleaned up and to most people used to living in a small city, aren't that bad at all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM

5,309 posts, read 9,154,167 times
thanks lynne, by the way how is that natural market, its called the health shop?

Also now there was a road called Pott something did that change to MLK?

I have never been there but now that I found it on the map , I am going to take a look one day.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

It's an OK health food store, actually it's pretty good at least when I used to go there.

As far as the street names, I'm not really sure if it changed to JFK but it's the one I'm talking about that is not pretty but I wouldn't necessarily say dangerous at all.

You would be totally fine driving around there in the day time. I always was anyway.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

20 posts, read 32,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
It's an OK health food store, actually it's pretty good at least when I used to go there.

As far as the street names, I'm not really sure if it changed to JFK but it's the one I'm talking about that is not pretty but I wouldn't necessarily say dangerous at all.

You would be totally fine driving around there in the day time. I always was anyway.
Lynne and Steve, The health food shop is not behind the train station, it is on Morris street, almost next to the station. The health food store is next to Burger king in the same strip mall.
MLK is still MLK and used to be a little dangerous, but now, even at night, even at 2 a.m. it is pretty safe. You could walk there now and not have a problem at any time, day or night. As for Clydes Pott drive, you go down MLK from headquaters plaza, make a left onto flagler street, and a right onto clydes pott drive. That is the heart of what they call the "hollow". It is low income apartments, and the majority of the apartments are rented by black families.
Flagler street and Clyde potts drive used to be real bad, alot of drugs and crime. That is not the case anymore. It may have its bad moments, as any town, but generally speaking, it is now a changed, safe neighborhood.
There are morristown police their almost 24/7 patroling the area. The will never get all the drug activity out, ( as every town, even the smallest town in america has drug problems) but they have done a great job, and it is at a minimum now.
Lynne, The area may not look good, only because most of those houses are very old, built in the 1800's, but are beautiful on the inside. All of Morristown is very beautiful, and there are very few streets that are ugly and dirty.
Stop listening to the people that are putting it down, they don't know what they are talking about.
Morristown is a great place.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,133,311 times
I love how many of my fellow Jerseyites take pride in their "tough Jersey attitude", yet are complete babies when it comes to the perception of crime. Believe it or not, NJ is one of the safer states.

Most illegal immigrants try to stay as low key as possible. Poor does automatically equal criminal (on an individual basis).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 32,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I love how many of my fellow Jerseyites take pride in their "tough Jersey attitude", yet are complete babies when it comes to the perception of crime. Believe it or not, NJ is one of the safer states.

Most illegal immigrants try to stay as low key as possible. Poor does automatically equal criminal (on an individual basis).
You are so correct. There are many other states with much higher gang activity and high crime rates.
Also, Illegals are not just hispanics, and are not just day laborers.
There are illegals here from every single country in the world, and I have many illegal friends that have very high corporate positions that work for very well known popular companies here in New Jersey, and make well over $50,000 a year.
You would be very surprised to know how many proffessional, corporate employees work for major companies around here, make excellent money and are illegal.
Also, you would be very surprised at how many day laborers around here, actually are not illegal and are very much legal.
Also, remember that not all hispanics/legal/illegal around here are mexican.
Actually the minority in morristown is mexican. The majority are Honduran, Guatemalan, Colombian.
Dovers hispanic population is more mexican.
Poor does not mean criminal at all. There are many wealthy families around here that have family members in prison. Many from Morristown, Bernardsville, Randolph. Being a criminal has nothing to do with being poor nor wealthy, nor nationality, nor country of origin.
I know many of hispanics that would not even think of committing even a small crime like littering here or in their native country, let alone something major.
They are here to make their lives and their families lives better, not worse.
They are here to work hard and make money. They want to learn and speak English, and would love to become legal. Just very hard to do.
Our country gives legal visas right away to people from the middle east who come here to blow up our country and destroy us, but denies visas to the hispanics who just want to come here to make money and live a great life.
We can go to mexico with just our drivers license, well they should be able to do exactly the same.
We can go to any country in this world with only our passport, well, they should be able to do exactly the same.
We are all equal.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69njhome View Post
Lynne and Steve, The health food shop is not behind the train station, it is on Morris street, almost next to the station. The health food store is next to Burger king in the same strip mall.
MLK is still MLK and used to be a little dangerous, but now, even at night, even at 2 a.m. it is pretty safe. You could walk there now and not have a problem at any time, day or night. As for Clydes Pott drive, you go down MLK from headquaters plaza, make a left onto flagler street, and a right onto clydes pott drive. That is the heart of what they call the "hollow". It is low income apartments, and the majority of the apartments are rented by black families.
Flagler street and Clyde potts drive used to be real bad, alot of drugs and crime. That is not the case anymore. It may have its bad moments, as any town, but generally speaking, it is now a changed, safe neighborhood.
There are morristown police their almost 24/7 patroling the area. The will never get all the drug activity out, ( as every town, even the smallest town in america has drug problems) but they have done a great job, and it is at a minimum now.
Lynne, The area may not look good, only because most of those houses are very old, built in the 1800's, but are beautiful on the inside. All of Morristown is very beautiful, and there are very few streets that are ugly and dirty.
Stop listening to the people that are putting it down, they don't know what they are talking about.
Morristown is a great place.
I never said anything bad about Morristown. I lived there for over 4 years. All I am saying is that there is a certain part behind or next to headquarters as you drive toward the hollow that is run down and doesn't look too pretty. I wasn't talking about the homes built in the 1800's, I was talking about the liquor stores, 99 cent stores and all of the other shops and businesses on that strip approaching the DMV. I loved Morristown when I lived there.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 AM

5,309 posts, read 9,154,167 times
listen I never said it was a bad area either. I know bad areas, I used to cop crack on Jermone ave in the bronx in the 80's. Gun fire would be over my head, but I was not paranoid. Its when I got home to smoke the crack I was paranoid. So I know bad areas, this does not sound bad to me!!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,775 times
Let me just make a wild guess here... 69njhome here must be of hispanic origin?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69njhome View Post
Also, Illegals are not just hispanics, and are not just day laborers. There are illegals here from every single country in the world, and I have many illegal friends that have very high corporate positions that work for very well known popular companies here in New Jersey, and make well over $50,000 a year.

I don't mean to come across as an ass, but making $50K a year cannot possibly mean that he/she is in a "very high corporate position".

A 21 year old kid with a college degree can make about that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey