Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:23 PM

4,170 posts, read 5,040,721 times

Advertisements

Secaucus, North Bergen, Weehawken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,706,595 times
I absolutely adore Maplewood/South Orange, but the taxes are outrageous. The high taxes drove of us from NJ years ago.

Love the Cranford/Westfield area, there was not a lot of inventory. We ended up in Roselle Park, right next to Cranford and love it. Great little area, the train is right in town, very walkable.

That said these are all about 30 miles= 1 hour to the shore.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 8,774 times
Thanks for the ideas, vinodelotus, JG183, and veuvegirl. We don't know the Roselle Park area at all and have only been through Bernardsville once, but both sounds promising.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 8,774 times
My husband has been looking into Hazlet, Middletown, Little Silver, Atlantic Highlands, Matawan, and Tinton Falls. Any thoughts on these options? He's concluded that once we have to commute again we could travel by bus or ferry, which both appear to be faster than the train.

It seems like generally these towns are not highly walkable, but there are pockets where a resident could walk to bagel shops, delis, convenience stores, etc.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:36 AM

88,374 posts, read 84,430,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperflutter View Post
Thank you RiggerNY and kosb! We'll look into Cranford and the Wesmont area of Wood-ridge. Am I correct in thinking most of the trains from Cranford terminate at Newark Penn Station? Having to change trains in Newark or switch to/from the Path occasionally late at night would be a downside.
Just a note: The trains that run on the North Jersey Coast Line, which would be Red Bank, have very limited service to Hoboken morning or evening, so you would have to make the switch at Newark and take PATH unless you only take those few trains.

In that respect, the Bergen Line towns, such as Rutherford, would work best for you.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,804,493 times
Quote:
My husband has been looking into Hazlet, Middletown, Little Silver, Atlantic Highlands, Matawan, and Tinton Falls. Any thoughts on these options? He's concluded that once we have to commute again we could travel by bus or ferry, which both appear to be faster than the train.

It seems like generally these towns are not highly walkable, but there are pockets where a resident could walk to bagel shops, delis, convenience stores, etc.
My neighbor bought a new construction 3-story townhouse https://www.lennar.com/new-homes/new...uare-by-lennar . Price starts at $505K with $196/month HOA.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:52 PM

86 posts, read 104,360 times
Metuchen would probably be up your alley. Highland Park, Clark, and Cranford are also good options for more walkable towns, nice downtowns, and Victorian era homes. The perfect balance between being close to the Shore and NYC.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:51 PM

19,089 posts, read 25,252,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
Metuchen would probably be up your alley. Highland Park, Clark, and Cranford are also good options for more walkable towns, nice downtowns, and Victorian era homes. The perfect balance between being close to the Shore and NYC.
Victorian-era homes in Clark?
Nope!
The bulk of the homes in that town were built anywhere from the late '60s through the mid-'70s. Plus, there are many newer homes. The older homes in that town were almost all small bungalows, and most of them were demolished in order to build the newer homes.

And, while I am not knocking Clark's truly tiny "downtown", it essentially runs for ~5 blocks. That walkable downtown would be a very short walk.

Last edited by Retriever; 07-11-2020 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 PM

2,730 posts, read 6,108,303 times
Quote:

Atlantic Highlands I would consider walkable if you're near First Avenue. I don't know a lot about Matawan, but near the train station is walkable. They were starting to get some nice places there, but I don't know how the shutdowns have affected everything. Nothing in Hazlet, I don't really think in Tinton Falls either. Maybe some blocks close to shopping centers in Middletown - like by the Lighthouse, I think it's called The Junction?

Old 07-12-2020, 08:46 AM

23 posts, read 29,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
The peak trains from cranford/Westfield are transfers at Newark and the off-peak trains are direct to NY. I mostly take the express bus from Cranford, they are very frequent and fairly reliable.
RiggerNY - How's the commute time from Cranford train station to Penn station in the morning? Is bus much faster than train in the early morning (before 6:30am?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey