Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times

Advertisements

Jobs that don't necessarily require college degrees. There are a million jobs that pay under 30k and plenty that pay 70k +, but for those u need a good education. SO WHAT ABOUT US BRIGHT UN-SCHOLARLY SOULS THAT FALL INBETWEEN ?? Right now i make 15/hour which is fine but not enough to start a fam or survive in the burbs these days. What are your professions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Jobs that don't necessarily require college degrees. There are a million jobs that pay under 30k and plenty that pay 70k +, but for those u need a good education. SO WHAT ABOUT US BRIGHT UN-SCHOLARLY SOULS THAT FALL INBETWEEN ?? Right now i make 15/hour which is fine but not enough to start a fam or survive in the burbs these days. What are your professions?
I have you know that when I started work in my industry the only job that was offered to me was a $7.00 an hour data entry job, which I took since I just wanted my foot on the door. I did go to one of those quick get an associate computer degrees school which is no longer in business, but anyhow, I'm talking back in 1992 $7.00 an hour and all, fast forward to today and after paying my dues I'm happy to say that my salary is in the 6 figures. and oh yes, I do database mgmt for direct mail co.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
How about a long distance truck driver. Or port authority toll collector.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
This is a great post. Money is so important especially here in NJ.

First of all, 30-70k is a huge spread. It is very interesting to me that you're right, there seems to be a lack of jobs in the range of 50-60-70k.

My wife and I have figured we need about 70k to survive. This is pretty much essentials BUT by no means starving. This is about what I make right now. But my wife also works.

For 30k, you could work for FedEx. Supposedly very good benefits. For 50k you might be able to get some sort of government job, like becoming a police officer. You could also become a truck driver If you are a single person you could make 50-60k and have nearly no expenses.

As an edumacated person, I also find my choices limited. I am having a tough time at my job and as I look for other opportunities, the money is just not there. While I do not love my job.... I am not looking for a pay CUT if I change jobs.

One of my problems is that I am not willing to commute to NYC where I could probably make I don't know, 90 or 100k but how much more is that going to be by the time I commute, get taxed 2x and spend 2 hours or more per day commuting (must be worth something) I don't know the answer.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM

180 posts, read 701,782 times
In my opinion you need a pretty good education or at least a technical trade to make even between 30-70K. My husband is a skilled mason and he makes 50K and I am an engineer with a masters degree and I make 70K just this year after 8 years of experience. This is in central NJ.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM

124 posts, read 582,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I have you know that when I started work in my industry the only job that was offered to me was a $7.00 an hour data entry job, which I took since I just wanted my foot on the door. I did go to one of those quick get an associate computer degrees school which is no longer in business, but anyhow, I'm talking back in 1992 $7.00 an hour and all, fast forward to today and after paying my dues I'm happy to say that my salary is in the 6 figures. and oh yes, I do database mgmt for direct mail co.

Hi - Alex I'm right there with you! I went to a secretarial school and started with my company 14 years ago making about 35k. I also have worked very hard and fast forward to today I am happy to say my salary is in the 6 figures too. I am in HR. Opportunity is often what you make of it, get in the door and show them what you are capable of doing and don't let the fact that you don't have a degree slow you down.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Air Traffic Controller - Hs Degree Only And I Hear The Money Is Great. High Stress Job Though...

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
I'm an low-voltage systems engineer (audiovisual mostly, along with telecom, occasionally security as well), making $50k salary (not including bonuses), no degree, in my third year. Working in NYC, own a home in High Bridge.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 AM

259 posts, read 924,762 times
Something in the service industry that is entry level. They typically don't require college degrees.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennysMom View Post
Hi - Alex I'm right there with you! I went to a secretarial school and started with my company 14 years ago making about 35k. I also have worked very hard and fast forward to today I am happy to say my salary is in the 6 figures too. I am in HR. Opportunity is often what you make of it, get in the door and show them what you are capable of doing and don't let the fact that you don't have a degree slow you down.
Hey There neighbor, ltns. Yes the point that I was trying to convey was that sometimes you have to have patience and perseverance in order to see the fruit of your sacrificies. Don't get me wrong it's very hard to do so when you're in your 30's and have a family. I was lucky enough to be in my teens and before the internet, so as the industry evolved w/ the internet so did my salary and the more valuable I became to them. Also, don't be changing jobs constantly, you need to show stability and be reliable.

By the way, did you sell your place yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey