Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 PM

68 posts, read 203,521 times

Advertisements

Mr. Kovacs, there is no need for anyone to apologize to me. I just want to make clear what this word really means, and how it is actually used. Like any civilized person, I would welcome an intelligent discussion or even debate.

I must say, however, that the term "white trash," which someone else has suggested as a substitute, is no better. Human beings aren't trash. Some are poor of their own doing, but many others (including all poor children) are simply unfortunate. Adding the word "white" implies that it's normal for non-whites to be down and out, but shamemeful for white folks.

I think we should say what me mean and express ourselves kindly instead of using these ugly and unfair terms to insult people wholesale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 PM

468 posts, read 580,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
I must say that the term "white trash," which someone else has suggested as a substitute, is no better. Human beings aren't trash. Some are poor of their own doing, but many others (including all poor children) are simply unfortunate. Adding the word "white" implies that it's normal for non-whites to be down and out, but shamemeful for white folks.

I think we should say what me mean and express ourselves kindly instead of using these ugly and unfair terms to insult people wholesale.
I agree,and wasn't trying to insult those people. However I must add that the term 'white trash' is commonly used in most of the neighborhoods surrounding Philadelphia for example,where some of us are indeed 'unfortunate' enough to have landed for the time being and I must say that the term does seem to be more fitting for alot of the people here as they don't seem to act like they are down and out but instead seem to embrace that lifestyle. So in some cases the term is fitting.

Also the folks that we see on shows like Jerry Springer for example,many would use the term 'trailer trash' because again they seem to be proud of that lifestyle and do not seem to want to improve themselves at all.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Joe, I understand your distaste for people who seem resigned to squalor. Especially if you have to deal with them. But you can find a few people like that almost anywhere. Why single out trailer parks? Why smear all the decent people who live in them? How about saying simply that you prefer folks who are industrious, clean, kind and forward looking over lazy, nasty slobs? Isn't that what you really mean?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times
Anybody know much information about vineland???

Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 AM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i agree w/DITC. when i was in college, i had a job with DYFS where i would travel all over central and southern jersey. when i ventured south of gloucester county, and into cumberland, salem and atlantic counties.......wow, just wow

the parts surrounding atlantic city like egg harbor and whatnot are pretty rural. same with areas surrounding vineland, millville, bridgton....i swear i was in kentucky.
it's amazing what you find in the southwest part of the state, deep past Camden by the bay. Think about what it's like for people living there, jeez. There is NOTHING to do, nowhere to go. AC is a cesspool.
In the southern 1/2 of the state as a whole, once you get away from the "cities" like Trenton, Camden, AC etc, there is nothing going on. No different than where I am now. You go west and north of Morristown and it's all country.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 AM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Anybody know much information about vineland???
it's a disaster....

Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Mid, what is it that you don't like about that town? Any plusses? Might be a bit more helpful if you would offer some specific information.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Mid, what is it that you don't like about that town? Any plusses? Might be a bit more helpful if you would offer some specific information.
try doing a forum search on vineland, this topic has been covered, in my limited visits to the area I've noticed that it is a run down rural town, low income, not many job prospects and like hundreds of run down old towns everywhere it's future is not bright

Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Default apbvguy

Take another look at my post. I wasn't looking for data, but rather suggesting that supplying information might be more useful than simply calling the city "a disaster."

Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Take another look at my post. I wasn't looking for data, but rather suggesting that supplying information might be more useful than simply calling the city "a disaster."
that's exactly what I did, I outlined some reasons why vineland could be called a disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey