U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 02:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,512,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
SO & WO are pretty diverse with large black populations; so it's not like we're talking about lily-white areas here.

But yeah, I can see some media outlets and agencies taking something like that out of context to incite outrage for clicks and views. Renaming would possibly be a more classist concept if anything.
East Paterson and West Paterson did it. West Paterson was fairly recent. I don’t remember any kind of outcry there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM

701 posts, read 329,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
We had a car jacking problem in my neighborhood in Morris County 2 years ago. In the course of 2 weeks 6 cars were stolen, 1 was recovered on a side street in Newark as a neighbor left their cell phone in the car. People were scared, however one of car jacker was caught when a neighbor called the police seeing a black man in a white neighborhood walking around late at night. Person was arrested and car jackings/burglaries ended.
That is car theft. "Carjacking" is when the owner is driving the car, and a dirtball approaches the car and throws out the driver and takes the car.

Both are bad, but just thought I'd point out that distinction.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:41 PM

18,743 posts, read 11,980,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
And they shouldn't have to drive to a better neighborhood, they should live in a better neighborhood so they can benefit from all the opportunities wealthier towns have to offer. That is why more affordable and fair housing units are needed.
That is wrong on so many levels. Basically we should live in an Utopian society. Be grateful this country doesn't have to speak German and blacks, brown, asians, etc would all been exterminated.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:13 PM

67,586 posts, read 63,078,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
"The Oranges"..

At times, it must be so embarrassing living in South or West Orange since your town will always be lumped in with the degeneracy of the other "Oranges" - despite these areas having nothing in common with them besides the misfortune of having a similar name.

Personally, if I lived there then i'd petition for a name change because that's just a bad look. Maybe "South Mountain" or "Tall Hills" for SO; and "Pleasant Valley" for WO? (Pleasant Valley Way is a main road in WO)

Just a thought. But again, I don't live there so none of my business..
I used to live in West Paterson, which is nothing like the adjacent city of Paterson. (Elmwood Park was once East Paterson, older posters may recall.)

They changed the name to the treacly "Woodland Park". Kept the same initials.

It will always be West Paterson to me, though.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 PM

15,425 posts, read 12,048,546 times
In my neighborhood, the cars that are stolen are usually unlocked with the keys inside the car. People are stupid. Criminals rarely "break in" to locked cars, at least around here. I have Ring cameras all around my house, and on the Ring website, there are always videos, from people in my town, of car thieves walking up people's driveways and trying to open up the doors. If they are locked, they leave and move on to the next house I guess.

Car thieves look for cars with the mirrors sticking out, as most locked cars these days have the mirrors folded in. My wife and daughter leave their cars in the driveway, but they know better than to leave them unlocked. I keep my car in the garage, because I love my car, and it is a car that I think thieves might actually break a window to get. And it is not easily replaceable.

I don't hear much about car jackings these days. I have an app on my phone that will shut down my car, so a car jacker would only get a few blocks before the car shuts down on them. I would imagine a lot of other people have the same, which makes car jacking less of an option for criminals.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:42 AM

3,274 posts, read 820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my neighborhood, the cars that are stolen are usually unlocked with the keys inside the car. People are stupid. Criminals rarely "break in" to locked cars, at least around here. I have Ring cameras all around my house, and on the Ring website, there are always videos, from people in my town, of car thieves walking up people's driveways and trying to open up the doors. If they are locked, they leave and move on to the next house I guess.

Car thieves look for cars with the mirrors sticking out, as most locked cars these days have the mirrors folded in. My wife and daughter leave their cars in the driveway, but they know better than to leave them unlocked. I keep my car in the garage, because I love my car, and it is a car that I think thieves might actually break a window to get. And it is not easily replaceable.

I don't hear much about car jackings these days. I have an app on my phone that will shut down my car, so a car jacker would only get a few blocks before the car shuts down on them. I would imagine a lot of other people have the same, which makes car jacking less of an option for criminals.
Tesla?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 AM

15,425 posts, read 12,048,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Tesla?
The opposite. G Wagon. 13 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey