Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 09:26 PM

23 posts, read 17,703 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking to buy a house in East Brunswick and I worked in Midtown NYC. Therefore need to commute NYC.
How good are commutes? As per my research there are two point to catch buses. Nilesen tower and East Brunswick transportation center.
Does anyone use these route? Please help me to decide it.

Currently staying near Mertropark and using NJ Transit trains which take around 1.25 minutes point to point.
If i start my commute from East Brunswick around 8.15-8.30 AM then how much time will take to reach NYC(Port Authority) . Does these time buses take more time? I heard, only morning buses are faster otherwise takes much more time.

I appreciate your help and thank you in advance

Last edited by saurabhusa; 09-06-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:05 PM

214 posts, read 350,744 times
You are better off at Edison.. catching an earlier train before 7:30am. The only advantage of East Brunswick conpared to Metro Park is that your seat is guranteed in the bus if you take the bus from Transportation Center. But in the evening, there would be a long queue to catch the bus. But so would be the painful way to come down to platform level from Mezzanine level in Penn station. Time wise, Metro park is 45 min ideally, East Brunswick is 50 min. If you want a commute where you want to wake up at 8 and come to office, your only options are Manhattan or Queens with one car subway ride.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
You are better off at Edison.. catching an earlier train before 7:30am. The only advantage of East Brunswick conpared to Metro Park is that your seat is guranteed in the bus if you take the bus from Transportation Center. But in the evening, there would be a long queue to catch the bus. But so would be the painful way to come down to platform level from Mezzanine level in Penn station. Time wise, Metro park is 45 min ideally, East Brunswick is 50 min. If you want a commute where you want to wake up at 8 and come to office, your only options are Manhattan or Queens with one car subway ride.

Thanks for your info.I am looking house since last one year but nothing materialized. My budget is 600K and now days prices are up due to less inventory in the market. People are not listing houses for sell. Which forced me to look alternative place which are fewer East Brunswick and Monroe but Monroe will take more commute time.
Yes not feasible to wake up late. What will be tehe best time to commute from East Brunswick?

Old 09-07-2020, 12:23 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Tower center at the intersection of rt 1, rt 18 and I 95. Hop on the coach bus, 45 minutes to PA.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:33 AM

8 posts, read 10,206 times
Besides the 2 bus centers, you can also catch the Coach USA bus that runs through town or the NJTransit 138 bus that runs along Rt 18 and 3 of the time slots run through Summerhill Road. If you happened to buy near the routes of these buses you don’t need to go the bus centers.

The downside is limited timing (before 7:40ish). I think Coach USA from Tower Center is only one that runs all day but they tend to cancel certain buses or they don’t show up for all the times they list. The latter is prevalent after like 8:30-9 as has happened to me 3 times in the last year (pre-Covid) when I had to go in late.

Depending on time of day and which stop you caught the bus, you would be looking from house to office would 1 hour 15 to 2 hours or more in commute and that’s just working in Midtown. Check out Google maps and pick different times and locations, it’s pretty spot on.

We looked in Edison too and decided on East Brunswick because the homes under $500K in Edison were just not maintained or updated (generally speaking).

Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 AM

275 posts, read 214,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhusa View Post
Thanks for your info.I am looking house since last one year but nothing materialized. My budget is 600K and now days prices are up due to less inventory in the market. People are not listing houses for sell. Which forced me to look alternative place which are fewer East Brunswick and Monroe but Monroe will take more commute time.
Yes not feasible to wake up late. What will be tehe best time to commute from East Brunswick?
Be patience and wait another year. This frenzy is unsustainable, in my opinion, and a correction will happen in due time. That aside, Edison or Colonia are two locations that will allow you to keep the commuting route. And if possible, although a bit on the longer term though, look for positions that are remote. Things are changing and fast, so as the old proverbial saying goes "good things come to those who wait"...or something to that effect...

Old 09-12-2020, 05:32 PM

182 posts, read 136,516 times
You couldn’t pay me enough to make that commute.

I commuted to PA from Lyndhurst for 5 years and thought it was brutal. I can’t imagine what the commute from E. Brunswick would be like.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoVillabon View Post
Besides the 2 bus centers, you can also catch the Coach USA bus that runs through town or the NJTransit 138 bus that runs along Rt 18 and 3 of the time slots run through Summerhill Road. If you happened to buy near the routes of these buses you don’t need to go the bus centers.

The downside is limited timing (before 7:40ish). I think Coach USA from Tower Center is only one that runs all day but they tend to cancel certain buses or they don’t show up for all the times they list. The latter is prevalent after like 8:30-9 as has happened to me 3 times in the last year (pre-Covid) when I had to go in late.

Depending on time of day and which stop you caught the bus, you would be looking from house to office would 1 hour 15 to 2 hours or more in commute and that’s just working in Midtown. Check out Google maps and pick different times and locations, it’s pretty spot on.

We looked in Edison too and decided on East Brunswick because the homes under $500K in Edison were just not maintained or updated (generally speaking).
Thanks. I will check these buses and route. It will give a bit flexibility on commute. But herd buses always runs late though NJTrasit trains never be on time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey