Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 02:10 AM

349 posts, read 264,772 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been thinking about buying a house in Spring Lake, but I'm not sure if I would be happy living there even though it's a super nice little town. Does anyone have information you can share on this town or experience living there all year round? Do people only have summer homes there or do the majority live there all year long? Are there any young families that live in Spring Lake or are they all old people with no kids? My friend told me that it's an old money town which I don't think I would fit in well with. How are the schools, is the enrollement good? Is it centrally located close to shopping? Would it get boring living in a beach town all year long? Would it be difficult to make new friends there as a newcomer and someone who doesn't know anyone in town? How are the people there? How will the summer traffic be, would the summer traffic get annoying? I know Spring Lake is a safe area but should I be considered with the loud summer crowds? Also, is it too close to Neptune and Asbury, would this be an issue with gangs coming over from those close neighboring areas? Is Spring Lake really worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 02:56 PM

22 posts, read 23,366 times
It's a safe town but still only 10 minute drive to Neptune and you will have to always drive through the trashy parts of Neptune just to get onto Rt 18. North. The homes in Spring Lake are mostly older 1920s built colonials and there is quite a lot of older people who retire there. As the average young person probably wouldn't ever be able to afford to buy there. The Spring Lake school district is good but I assume it has the same amount of kids per grade as if it were a small private school which means children will have a small selection of friends to choose from. Most people only have summer homes there. Any beach town you move to will have summer shore traffic. Personally, I would get bored living there in the winter and I definitely don't think Spring Lake is worth the money.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:04 PM

18,522 posts, read 10,457,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K10J View Post
I definitely don't think Spring Lake is worth the money.
Then you know nothing about it.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
it must be nice there. i just went on zillow and there are a bunch of ugly old houses with huge asking prices not even on the water.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 PM

9,965 posts, read 6,572,101 times
Spring Lake has a population of 2,900 based on the census data, which im assuming are people who consider their full time residence. However its 16% less then a decade ago and 40% less then a few decades ago. Im assuming the trend is more people have their second homes their over their primary residence.

Spring Lake has a lot of old money. Its considered an 'Irish Catholic Riveria' based on the types of people who live there. Many houses have flag poles and fly the American Flag with either the Irish flag below it or their college flag. Which brings me to the question, who would fly their college flag on a 40ft flag pole? Lawyers? People living off old money and their sense of accomplishment/identity is some private University they went to 40 years ago?

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 09-30-2020 at 12:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 10:27 AM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
It's a safe town but still only 10 minute drive to Neptune and you will have to always drive through the trashy parts of Neptune just to get onto Rt 18. North. ...
You don't have to drive through Neptune to get to Rt. 18.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Spring Lake has a population of 2,900 based on the census data, which im assuming are people who consider their full time residence. However its 16% less then a decade ago and 40% less then a few decades ago. Im assuming the trend is more people have their second homes their over their primary residence.

Spring Lake has a lot of old money. Its considered an 'Irish Catholic Riveria' based on the types of people who live there. Many houses have flag poles and fly the American Flag with either the Irish flag below it or their college flag. Which brings me to the question, who would fly their college flag on a 40ft flag pole? Lawyers? People living off old money and their sense of accomplishment/identity is some private University they went to 40 years ago?
LOL, your way off. Years ago maybe "old " money but not now . There is around 3500 full time year round residents and the average age is upper 40'd low 50's. The Cotton heads as the locals loving called many of the seniors in town now have condos either in the Essex and Sussex or the Wellington or even back in the Mews.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It's a safe town but still only 10 minute drive to Neptune and you will have to always drive through the trashy parts of Neptune just to get onto Rt 18. North. The homes in Spring Lake are mostly older 1920s built colonials and there is quite a lot of older people who retire there. As the average young person probably wouldn't ever be able to afford to buy there. The Spring Lake school district is good but I assume it has the same amount of kids per grade as if it were a small private school which means children will have a small selection of friends to choose from. Most people only have summer homes there. Any beach town you move to will have summer shore traffic. Personally, I would get bored living there in the winter and I definitely don't think Spring Lake is worth the money.
To get to rt 18 , from Spring lake you take 71 to 195 and up to 18 ...5 mins at tops.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it must be nice there. i just went on zillow and there are a bunch of ugly old houses with huge asking prices not even on the water.
.....stay in Holmdel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey