U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 AM

537 posts, read 705,897 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman in my late 30s and my company has offered me a transfer from where I work in the suburbs of MD to lower Manhattan. I live in Baltimore, have done so for a total of 4 of the last 9 years I've lived in MD. My commute is (pre-covid) 1 hour in the AM and 1.5 hr in the PM, but right now I'm working from home like many folks. I have had commutes as long as 4 hours roundtrip before because of DC and Baltimore traffic. I drive myself around 95% of the time because the mass transit options in Maryland are severely limited compared to NYC or NJ.

I was financially able to live in really nice suburbs of DC and Baltimore, and I've learned I prefer the city over suburbs, full stop. I love Baltimore, and I know what people think of it. But like most people, I absolutely cannot afford my own apartment in Manhattan:
  • I have a large elderly dog (>50 pounds), for starters.
  • I also have a car and will need it to do some local travel for work.
  • I haven't had a roommate since I was late 20s and don't want one at this point.
  • I also like being able to save and travel and just do grown up things, so paying 2,000+ for an apartment in Jersey City will not work for me.
I realize this means a longer commute.

So it looks like if I accept this transfer, I'd have to live in Newark (or bedroom communities like Kearny or Harrison) and commute to lower Manhattan at least 2 days a week post-covid (the New York office is also working from home right now; my pre-covid schedule allowed me to work from home up to 3 days a week and this would continue if I transfer). As part of the transfer I must move to NY or NJ (again, office in lower Manhattan), so staying put in MD and working for the Manhattan office isn't an option.

If you know the two cities, how would you say Baltimore compares to Newark? I've only ever been to the airport or passed it up to drive through the city to upstate. Is my idea to live in Newark or a suburb of Newark and commute to Manhattan a sound one? And if you hung out to the end of this dense post, thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 PM

78,896 posts, read 72,932,182 times
Look at Harrison. There might be some livable/safe neighborhoods in Newark, too, but others will be more familiar than I am. Harrison is an easy commute on the PATH train to lower Manhattan.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:07 PM

18,010 posts, read 22,581,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Look at Harrison. There might be some livable/safe neighborhoods in Newark, too, but others will be more familiar than I am. Harrison is an easy commute on the PATH train to lower Manhattan.
+1
While I don't find Harrison to be esthetically pleasing/attractive, it would be extremely convenient for the OP's projected commute, and it should fit her budget parameters.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 5,591,816 times
Harrison is done. You can't buy in Harrison now. Even Kearney is getting expensive.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM

78,896 posts, read 72,932,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
While I don't find Harrison to be esthetically pleasing/attractive, it would be extremely convenient for the OP's projected commute, and it should fit her budget parameters.
It looks a heck of a lot better than it used to. Still urban, but the OP seems OK with that.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Harrison is done. You can't buy in Harrison now. Even Kearney is getting expensive.
I won't be ready to buy anything for a year or two, so that's ok. But, good to know.

Thanks, everyone, I see Harrison is the consensus. It was definitely on my list since the Harrison station is literally right there. Is that like an hour to Manhattan most days? I think I could live with the commute since I wouldn't have to drive and driving that long or longer like I"m used to has been hell. Lived just a 40 minute drive from work for two years and that was wonderful, but haven't lived within 30 minutes of work in 5 years easily.

It seems like Newark Penn would also be a good back up route, just more subway time and maybe transfers.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM

53 posts, read 45,294 times
Are you certain you cant afford NYC? There is a mass exodus in NYC and surrounding towns and rents are dropping so you may be able to find deals now and in the coming months.

Having said that, Newark is fine if you are downtown or in the ironbound and it might be in your budget. Harrison may be an option if you can find something in your budget near the PATH. Jersey city as well depending on where. Orange in the valley arts district near the train is also an option. Bloomfield may also work but those are less cityish but still have alot to do so its not like your in the boondocks or something. You also have the outer boroughs of NYC. Again people are leaving for the burbs to have more space so there are deals to be had.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 18,219,413 times
Yeah I’d look at the Ironbound area of Newark and even downtown Newark. Harrison is ok too. Also check into the Journal Square area of JC. Cheaper than downtown JC, but closer to the city than Harrison and Newark.

The PATH ride from Newark to World Trade Center is about 25 min. From Harrison, about 24 min. From Journal Square, about 15 min. Add walking time on both sides of the train trip for a good sense of door-to-door time. Trains run every 3 minutes during peak times. Off peak they run every 10-20 min, and less frequently very late nights.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:37 PM

7,658 posts, read 5,591,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mike1234 View Post
Are you certain you cant afford NYC? There is a mass exodus in NYC and surrounding towns and rents are dropping so you may be able to find deals now and in the coming months.

Having said that, Newark is fine if you are downtown or in the ironbound and it might be in your budget. Harrison may be an option if you can find something in your budget near the PATH. Jersey city as well depending on where. Orange in the valley arts district near the train is also an option. Bloomfield may also work but those are less cityish but still have alot to do so its not like your in the boondocks or something. You also have the outer boroughs of NYC. Again people are leaving for the burbs to have more space so there are deals to be had.

Good luck!

deblasio is running nyc into the ground

Old 10-14-2020, 07:39 PM

Regarding Manhattan: Affordability is about willingness and ability for me, so maybe "cannot" is not the best word/phrase. I probably can on paper.

But in reality, I have a lot of expenses (car and student loans) and other variables, mostly dog-related, that make it difficult. For example, I need sleeping quarters separate from my dog, even if it's just a makeshift divider because love him to death but I'm allergic to him (have had him since he was a puppy so he's not going anywhere, I'm Horton the Elephant on that one). He is also aging and has a uniquely shaped body (long back and short legs) so we need an elevator, no stairs. And frankly, this year has been really crazy: I'm pretty fortunate that my job is very secure, but I don't want to take on something at the tip-top of my budget and then have the rug pulled out from under me.

Thanks for the additional options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey