Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

http://www.lakehopatcong.org/images/1.JPG

http://www.lakehopatcong.org/images/...l%20growth.jpg

A pic of the weed harvester for stevemorse

And some history pics

Hopatcong - Google Book Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
thanks for all the great info. Lot of slimy weeds, I would hate to get my foot caught in one. Love the info. Thanks a lot. I am going drive around today, its Monday and waiting for traffic to end and im off!!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks for all the great info. Lot of slimy weeds, I would hate to get my foot caught in one. Love the info. Thanks a lot. I am going drive around today, its Monday and waiting for traffic to end and im off!!
It is quarter after 4 in the morning and you are waiting for traffic to end? Yikes !!!!!! How bad has it gotten over there?

Anyhoo..... Go check out the Jefferson House for lunch today. There was another nice restaurant called the Windless.

Stick your toes in the water for me too.

Have a great day !!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
My FIL lives on River Styx Road. I ONLY know how to get to his house... I'm guaranteed to get lost in that community if I try to deviate from my known route.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is quarter after 4 in the morning and you are waiting for traffic to end? Yikes !!!!!! How bad has it gotten over there?

Anyhoo..... Go check out the Jefferson House for lunch today. There was another nice restaurant called the Windless.

Stick your toes in the water for me too.

Have a great day !!
First off let me say thanks for all the great info. I was not waiting for traffic to end then, I was waiting till after 9 because I would take route 15 to get to 80 west and route 15 is a nightmare until after 9 am. Traffic where I live in Jefferson twnsp, lake stockholm is dead. Now route 23 not bad, route 15 terrible , route 80 east get ready to kill yourself. So I did go and drove all around and had got my bearings alittle. It was a great day, I really am getting to know this area alot more. Now to be honest, I lived in the Adirondacks for a while and have a cabin there so the lake compared to the ADK's well you know, however the history and character are unsurpassable like you could see. Thanks so much!! I am going to be going out there quite a bit so I am sure we will talk again. Marilyn

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
First off let me say thanks for all the great info. I was not waiting for traffic to end then, I was waiting till after 9 because I would take route 15 to get to 80 west and route 15 is a nightmare until after 9 am. Traffic where I live in Jefferson twnsp, lake stockholm is dead. Now route 23 not bad, route 15 terrible , route 80 east get ready to kill yourself. So I did go and drove all around and had got my bearings alittle. It was a great day, I really am getting to know this area alot more. Now to be honest, I lived in the Adirondacks for a while and have a cabin there so the lake compared to the ADK's well you know, however the history and character are unsurpassable like you could see. Thanks so much!! I am going to be going out there quite a bit so I am sure we will talk again. Marilyn
Oh I know what happened. On my side it says you posted that at 4:15 AM. It was probably 7:15 AM your time. Which is more like it.

Well talking to you forced me to dig out my cards, photos and books to reminisce a bit. Some real good memories.

If the people of NJ would start a revolution, take up arms and march right up to Corslimes front door and take over then perhaps NJ would be livable once again.

I bet the lake front homes are paying $18,000 a year in property taxes today. That is a tough nut to crack even if you own the home free and clear. Too bad. NJ has some nice things about it. But they are not nice enough to put up with the congestion and the cost of living.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 AM

Personally I tried to move out of NJ, just picked the wrong area to move. Lets just say this after living in the wrong place, and there are alot worse place you could live, ohh yes it cheap, you could live cheap but will you be happy. The key is to pick the right place, and personally where I live in NJ I LOVE!!!!! I was from Bergen County and kinda just never really ventured to western morris county at all. When I thought of woods and lakes I thought of the ADK's. Thinking that most of NJ has no mountains or really lakes I never considered this. Now I think this is a great compromise. Now my taxes went from 9 grand to 5 grand with a better brand new house. Bergen COunty is out of control not all of NJ. Well it sounds like you miss it here. What made you pick your new location? How do you like it?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnahstoll View Post
I am getting ready to move to New Jersey and will be working in Wayne. I have been doing some househunting on the internet and most of the houses that I have found that my wife and I like are in the Hopatcong area. Just wanted to get some opinions of the area and about the drive to Wayne for work each day. Also wondering about pre-K schools and elementary schools. thanks for any help.
I lived in the Heights area for 22 years. There is not just one way in and out of the lake really..........from the Heights you can zip right on over to Netcong and right up to 46/206 or route 80. Easy as can be.
You don't get a big chunk of land when you live there........but then again you get the lake!
It is nice to pull your boat up to the Windless Restaurant and have dinner, for that matter.......the Jefferson House too.
The last time I drove through my neighborhood I was surprised that the homes were not being kept up. That was a disappointment.
My girls went through the school system and then to college. Although at one time there was split sessions!
Bertrands Island was a big draw years ago.......a place to go in the evening with the kids to keep them busy, and to be near the lake.
When I lived there, some people moved into the Stanhope/Byram area so their kids could attend those schools instead. The high school being right on Sparta-Stanhope Road.
The history of the lake was always enjoyable to read and explore.
It was about an hour to Wayne.........
Once you live there long enough you would get to know the streets, and the areas. Best of Luck

Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh I know what happened. On my side it says you posted that at 4:15 AM. It was probably 7:15 AM your time. Which is more like it.

Well talking to you forced me to dig out my cards, photos and books to reminisce a bit. Some real good memories.

If the people of NJ would start a revolution, take up arms and march right up to Corslimes front door and take over then perhaps NJ would be livable once again.

I bet the lake front homes are paying $18,000 a year in property taxes today. That is a tough nut to crack even if you own the home free and clear. Too bad. NJ has some nice things about it. But they are not nice enough to put up with the congestion and the cost of living.
i just looked up my grandmother's lake house (on the lake, with a dock). taxes are $3K.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
You only pay $5k on a brand new house up this way? Wow where did I go wrong lol. Maybe cause I have sewers? That just seems so cheap....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey