Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 19,496 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I had minor surgery so I haven't been responding as I would have liked, but I am reading and taking notes.

So far, we will definitely look further into Cranford, Rutherford, West Orange, and Bloomfield (Brookdale neighborhood if possible). They all seem to fit what we are looking for. '

We will keep researching about Waldwick, Scotch Plains, New Providence, Scotch Plains, Garwood, and Fanwood. They look promising but just need to do more research into what the towns are like. Newark and Weehawken, I have been to both and I don't think they have that small town feel that we are looking for, but will keep them in mind as well, you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 11:22 AM

817 posts, read 755,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoconundrum View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I had minor surgery so I haven't been responding as I would have liked, but I am reading and taking notes.

So far, we will definitely look further into Cranford, Rutherford, West Orange, and Bloomfield (Brookdale neighborhood if possible). They all seem to fit what we are looking for. '

We will keep researching about Waldwick, Scotch Plains, New Providence, Scotch Plains, Garwood, and Fanwood. They look promising but just need to do more research into what the towns are like. Newark and Weehawken, I have been to both and I don't think they have that small town feel that we are looking for, but will keep them in mind as well, you never know.
Glad you are feeling better!

He was being facetious about Newark so I wouldn't look into there.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:59 AM

12 posts, read 19,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Glad you are feeling better!

He was being facetious about Newark so I wouldn't look into there.
I thought he might not be serious, but didn't want to be rude just in case. That said, I have heard good things about the Forest Hills section of Newark? Looking superficially at houses in that area, they do seem to be nice, but some are almost too big and rundown looking? Not sure what the actual neighborhood feels like.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:36 PM

76 posts, read 104,565 times
Yonkers Westchester or Tarrytown are nice,( i have friends in Tarrytown) this way you wouldn't have to deal with the nightmare of a motor vehicle dept they have there, good luck in your search.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
Smile Montclair, Maplewood, South Orange Definite Top Three

Hello,

Speaking as a parent who was born and raised in the vicinity (West Orange), moved to NYC briefly and has now returned to the Caldwells, I would say that Montclair, Maplewood and South Orange absolutely check off all of your boxes including fitting into your price range. Montclair especially has a great downtown with a lot of culture. It is also incredibly idyllic and has always been one of my favorite places to frequent. I wouldn't say the West Orange/Bloomfield/Caldwell area offer that same atmosphere and aren't as easily accessible to NYC. You may already be familiar, but there is so much this area has to offer no matter where you land...museums, zoo, theater programs, great parks, historic areas, and the list goes on. Wishing you the best in your search for your new home!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:00 AM

6 posts, read 3,325 times
Don't overlook East Orange. *East Orange is great for an under 1 hours commute to NYC. *It has a very diverse community. *There are very beautiful areas in EO well within your budget.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:03 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,793,832 times
Have you thought about Bayonne or Jersey City NJ? (Jersey City would be easier, unless you go to Staten Island, Bayonne Bridge)

Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 PM

195 posts, read 134,372 times
Move to a better area of Newark around the path, get a triplex or duplex . Send ur kids to charter school. there are 3 that are highely competant in reading and math. Save some money, by living with less mortgage and taxes and renters. rent out the entire Newark house and then move to a dream home. Newark home maintained will be worth a million in 20 years

Old 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM

19,042 posts, read 25,130,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
Send ur kids to charter school. there are 3 that are highely competant in reading and math.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,793,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOrangegirl View Post
Don't overlook East Orange. *East Orange is great for an under 1 hours commute to NYC. *It has a very diverse community. *There are very beautiful areas in EO well within your budget.
East Orange USED to be Gangland.

Treacy, Pepa, Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah.. these people became successful but also heavy Bloods territory.

Supposedly its been cleaned up but.. I don't know. Stuyvesant Ave by S. Orange Ave, got my car stolen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey