U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

323 posts, read 1,429,773 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been thinking of getting my realtor's license in the state of NJ.
I'm very familiar with the home buying/selling process, as I've been investing in Real Estate for some time.

I feel that having a license will give me an upper hand, perticularly with banks etc.

Are all of the Real Estate schools the same, any particular school more accredited than the other?

Also, what does it take to become a broker?

I've also cross posted this in the Real Estate forum.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM

210 posts, read 443,103 times
Info for New Jersey Real Estate Licenses can be found at NJDOBI - NJ Real Estate Commission

Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,819,740 times
Check the little 25-cent vending machines at most diners- I think you can usually get RE licenses in those......

Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM

48 posts, read 140,768 times
Weichert has a RE school that holds classes in various locations. You can find out where and when on their website. I went there, it was about $300 (5 years ago) and I passed the state test first time I took it. It is not easy to pass as many seem to think however, if you study everyday and retain the info - most are laws and math you should do OK.
To become a Broker, you need to practice Real Estate full time for 3 years, then attend a 3 week course (a regular RE license is 2 week course) and then pass the state Broker exam.
As an investor, not sure how it will benefit you with the banks but you will save on commission. You will however be held to a higher standard legally and ethically when you buy and sell.
Good luck!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,138,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd83 View Post
Weichert has a RE school that holds classes in various locations. You can find out where and when on their website. I went there, it was about $300 (5 years ago) and I passed the state test first time I took it. It is not easy to pass as many seem to think however, if you study everyday and retain the info - most are laws and math you should do OK.
To become a Broker, you need to practice Real Estate full time for 3 years, then attend a 3 week course (a regular RE license is 2 week course) and then pass the state Broker exam.
As an investor, not sure how it will benefit you with the banks but you will save on commission. You will however be held to a higher standard legally and ethically when you buy and sell.
Good luck!
Agree that banks could care less if you're a Realtor. But it will save you a part of the commission. On the other hand you'll be required to carry E&O insurance, pay Realtor dues, pay MLS charges, etc. so it's definitely not a free ride. If you're active it will be worth it however.

-Marc

Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM

323 posts, read 1,429,773 times
Thanks all for the input!

Definetely not looking for a free ride as I know good realtors have to work hard.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
www.proschool.com.... Real Estate school located in Millburn, NJ. Many of my friends have taken classes there and have enjoyed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey