Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am moving to NJ to start a new job.
The job is going to be located in Montvale.
I would like to find a town to live that would satisfy the following:
1) Not crazy far commute to work
2) Easy access to NYC via public transportation
3) Urban feel - lots of restaurants, stores, etc. with a cute downtown
4) Safe - I don't want to be afraid that my car gets broken into/stolen every night
5) LGBTQ+ friendly

Any suggestions on what I should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 01:51 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Nyack for the LGBTQ friendly.
Westwood is closer and another option that would work

Old 12-15-2020, 03:29 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
I think that opens the door to a lot of towns...Personally, I don't think any town in that area, perhaps not any town, would be "not" LGBQ+ friendly. There's good people everywhere. But I don't think there's "bad" people everywhere. And, the good people outnumber the bad. JMHO.

The cute downtown is the key -- a walkable downtown? A center of town where you can go for shopping, stores, restaurants, etc., although it might not be walkable per se? As far as safe, every town around there is safe for the most part. Does a car get broken into on occasion? Absolutely, even in the nicest towns. But Bergen County NJ, and that part of the county is very safe. My wife grew up in Montvale and Park Ridge, her parents live there today, part of the year, and I have a few dozen friends in that area of the county, and many of them moved "back" there to begin their careers, start and raise their family, etc. It is certainly a more "quiet" area of the county -- more suburban than a urban, city, metro type setting.

If you want to be in NJ -- what's wrong with Montvale? Park Ridge? Mahwah? Ramsey? Ridgewood? There are many other factors at play -- buy, rent, size, space, budget, land, no land, home, townhouse, condo, and more.

You have plenty of choices...all the best and good luck!!!

Old 12-15-2020, 03:39 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
What kind of budget do you have? Buying or renting?

There is a sticky at the top of the page with questions that will help us help you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...residents.html

And I agree with EANJ. You're not going to be visited by townspeople with pitchforks and torches anywhere in the area, nor are all the LGBT+ people corralled into one location. Nobody cares, and if they do, nobody's listening to them anymore.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-15-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 06:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Theres no gay towns or gayborhoods in NJ.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Depends on your budget. Everywhere in Bergen County is pretty much LGBTQ friendly. No need to worry about that. Not that there are significant gayborhoods...but people are educated and decent here. My recommendations would Ridgewood, Ramsey, Park Ridge, and Westwood. They go from most expensive to least expensive in that order.

They are all safe...no need to seriously worry about crime. You know what your budget is, so take a peek around to see what is out there. All four towns have trains that will get you to NYC but require a transfer at Secaucus because the lines actually go to Hoboken (where you could also transfer there onto PATH to get into NYC).

Park Ridge would be best for commute to Montvale. It’s the neighboring town. I’d say Ridgewood probably has the best downtown of the four.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:36 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Nyack NY sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Montvale.

It has bus to NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey