U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 4,181 times

Advertisements

Trying to move to Bergen County area & looking to understand more about the parking at various train stations. It would help expand our home search if we could know (for example) if we lived in Oakland, Wyckoff, Midland Park, is it realistic to drive & park to one of the train stations as a non-resident? (No, he will not take a bus to the city)

I know each town is different but I figured you all know this commute like the back of your hand. My husband works just a few blocks from Penn so really just needs to get to Penn by 9ish. Would like to keep the door-to-desk as close to an hour as possible, no more than 1.5hrs, of course this includes driving to the station.

Stations we are interested in learning more about: Ramsey, Allendale, Waldwick, Ho-Ho-Kus, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Radburn. Also potentially interested in Mountain View or Rt 23 in Wayne or Hawthorne stations. Anything you know about the parking at these stations, as both residents & non-residents of the towns, the cost, tidbits like "need to get there by 7:30" or whatever else you know is very helpful! He hates the bus so would much rather drive & park, but someone mentioned in another post that Midland Park Godwin Ave 164 bus ride to Ridgewood is short with the same ticket price, something like that is great to know. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by worldlybutterfly; 01-27-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM

67,459 posts, read 62,976,415 times
First thing you need to know (and you may already know) is that the parking lots, rules, and costs are set by each municipality, not by NJTransit. Therefore, it might take a little work to learn what you need to know both by checking info on the NJ Transit site:

https://www.njtransit.com/station-park-ride-to

and by calling the municipal offices to ask the questions. And, of course, it's a good idea to do just what you are doing here by reaching out and asking for personal experience.

It can vary widely. For example, as noted, I never even attempted to park at Ridgewood because when I first started commuted decades ago, they didn't have the extra lots a few blocks away that they have now, but only the limited parking at the station itself, which generally goes to residents. I used that convenient bus, but sometimes I walked in the mornings, since it was only a little over two miles. Got my exercise that way.

When I lived briefly in Hawthorne, residents could park for $2.00 a year and non-residents had to pay $600 a year. When I lived in West Paterson and caught the train sometimes from Little Falls, parking was free if you got there early enough. When I lived in Fair Lawn, I parked at a bar owned by a friend of my now-ex-husband's that was a five-minute walk from the train. When I moved to Monmouth County and caught the train out of Little Silver, there was a 500-car lot that was never full that was $3.00 a day or about half that if you got a yearly permit from the town.

I hope you get some good input from other commuters.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:22 PM
46H

1,218 posts, read 799,714 times
Your best bet is to call the towns on your list. Every town is different. There is a lot of variability for parking. It ranges from waiting lists for a resident pass all the way to free parking for anybody. NJT does own some parking at some stations and therefore allows non-residents to use the lot. Some towns will allow non-residents to park in town lots, too.

Pre Covid - many lots got close to full by 8am, some were full much earlier - especially if they allow non-residents. Due to Covid, many lots are empty these days. It is hard to predict going forward. Parking lots could remain empty going forward due to work from home. If you need non-resident parking, a decision made today might be vastly different a year from now.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:01 PM

543 posts, read 528,604 times
Good advice here. One other thing to keep in mind is Covid has turned all of this upside down. Pre-pandemic several towns had waiting lists of 1-2 years to get a parking permit, even for residents. Hard to guess what the future holds.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:14 PM

67,459 posts, read 62,976,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Your best bet is to call the towns on your list. Every town is different. There is a lot of variability for parking. It ranges from waiting lists for a resident pass all the way to free parking for anybody. NJT does own some parking at some stations and therefore allows non-residents to use the lot. Some towns will allow non-residents to park in town lots, too.

Pre Covid - many lots got close to full by 8am, some were full much earlier - especially if they allow non-residents. Due to Covid, many lots are empty these days. It is hard to predict going forward. Parking lots could remain empty going forward due to work from home. If you need non-resident parking, a decision made today might be vastly different a year from now.
Really good point.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 416 times
Ramsey has a huge parking garage and anyone can park there. You can pay daily or get a monthly pass. I've never seen it full pre-covid.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 4,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First thing you need to know (and you may already know) is that the parking lots, rules, and costs are set by each municipality, not by NJTransit. Therefore, it might take a little work to learn what you need to know both by checking info on the NJ Transit site:

https://www.njtransit.com/station-park-ride-to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

We will definitely call the towns & look into them more individually. Sounds like even the prices for parking vary greatly as well as the availability for residents vs non-residents. We'd like to factor these costs into monthly budget (I thought we had a good budget until we started doing more math....us millennials are screwed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Good advice here. One other thing to keep in mind is Covid has turned all of this upside down. Pre-pandemic several towns had waiting lists of 1-2 years to get a parking permit, even for residents. Hard to guess what the future holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgracie View Post
Ramsey has a huge parking garage and anyone can park there. You can pay daily or get a monthly pass. I've never seen it full pre-covid.
Thank you for that tidbit about Ramsey! That's very good to know. I also can't believe waitlists were that long in some towns! I know COVID has totally changed things, perhaps permanently. My husband's office just told them they're not renewing their office lease in the city & everyone had to go get their stuff out by 3pm yesterday they might only be returning on a hybrid basis in the fall, nothing officially discussed yet. I can't believe it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey