Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any recommendations, intel, what to be aware of as I am moving to Roselle, NJ. This will be my first time residing in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 AM

20 posts, read 15,657 times
Roselle is a quiet, diverse, average town with very low crime. It has had a problem with high taxes and a sub-par school system for many years. Everything is nearby and almost walking distance to grocery shopping and drug stores but lacks a good downtown. There are no activities for families to do (rec center, pool etc.). There has been a recent audit from the acting NJ comptroller showing the waste and the misuse of taxpayer money by the current council people in the town (which might explain the high taxes and bad school system), but hopefully will be rectified as the residents and the new mayor are taking action. Other than that, Roselle is a nice up and coming town with lots of potential.....

Old 02-04-2021, 11:04 AM

1,146 posts, read 859,868 times
I am located nearby in Roselle Park, NJ. I can tell you that Roselle doesn't have a very high crime rate, except for the area close to and on St. Georges Avenue. I'd avoid that area at night as a pre-caution.

Roselle does have a lot of fast food joints on Chestnut St near 2nd Ave. I especially recommend Los Primos for Mexican food. They have very good burritos. Hamilton's Tavern is probably the only decent bar in town (family owned I believe).

You can also take buses to Newark and directly to NYC from Roselle center.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:59 AM

175 posts, read 282,285 times
Roselle/Roselle park are both okay towns. It is a blue collar/lower-middle class, but there is not much poverty. Slightly lower income than Linden or Rahway but definitely richer than Elizabeth or Newark. Homes are a mix of pre and post-war 2-4 bedroom SFHs on small to medium sized lots, and are cheaper there than most suburbs in Union County. Homes in Roselle will cost anywhere from $225k to $500k. Route 28 runs right thru center of the town, which has all of Roselle's restaurants and shopping centres, but unfortunately there is no downtown. The schools in Roselle are below average, but not necessarily horrible either. Crime in Roselle is slightly below average. Honestly, Roselle has gotten a bad rap a few times on this forum and I think a lot of that is because it is a majority Black suburb, though the demographics have gotten more diverse in recent years. Roselle Park is technically a different town than Roselle, but it's really no different than Roselle in terms of housing and income levels and shopping, and they go to the same school system. Personally I would recommend Union Twp, Rahway, and Cranford over Roselle, but I think you would be just fine in Roselle. Those towns are right near Roselle and have a downtown and better schools, but are also less affordable in terms of housing.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:16 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
Roselle Park is technically a different town than Roselle, but it's really no different than Roselle in terms of housing and income levels and shopping, and they go to the same school system.
It is not "technically" a different town, it is a different town.
And, as to the schools, their students are NOT in the same school system. Roselle and Roselle Park have separate school boards, separate school administrations, and the kids attend schools in their own respective town.

https://www.roselleschools.org/

https://www.rpsd.org/

Old 02-04-2021, 02:04 PM

1,146 posts, read 859,868 times
Roselle Park and Roselle are two COMPLETELY different towns. The only thing they have in common is that they are right next to each other. Roselle's crime rate is higher than Roselle Park, but not as high as Elizabeth or Linden's crime rate. Roselle Park has a much better school district too. If I had to choose, I'd rather be in Roselle Park. But if I had to choose between Roselle and Linden, I would choose Roselle.

BTW, Rt. 28 runs through the center of Roselle Park, NOT Roselle. There is indeed a "downtown area" of Roselle Park, but there really isn't much. Being a town resident of Roselle Park, we have been pushing to get our movie theater back and to get a nice coffee lounge in our town for years! Yet, every other business is either a nail or hair salon. At least we have a train station.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Roselle Park and Roselle are two COMPLETELY different towns. The only thing they have in common is that they are right next to each other. Roselle's crime rate is higher than Roselle Park, but not as high as Elizabeth or Linden's crime rate. Roselle Park has a much better school district too.
+1

Think about this:
Some home buyers have probably hired--and paid--Real Estate Agent KK, who is clearly clueless about those two totally different towns.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:17 AM

175 posts, read 282,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

Think about this:
Some home buyers have probably hired--and paid--Real Estate Agent KK, who is clearly clueless about those two totally different towns.

I'm not a real estate agent. I'm just a former NJ resident of 53 years who likes to give advice around the message boards when I can. After all Linden in my hometown so I should be familiar enough with the Union county area. I do realize that my statement about Roselle and Roselle Park sharing the same school system turned out to be bogus. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
I'm not a real estate agent. I'm just a former NJ resident of 53 years who likes to give advice around the message boards when I can. After all Linden in my hometown so I should be familiar enough with the Union county area. I do realize that my statement about Roselle and Roselle Park sharing the same school system turned out to be bogus. Thanks.
You're welcome, and I admire your ability to admit when you are wrong, as that appears to be a rare quality nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey